Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Containment Hold Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my 2 cents, and I apologize if this has been discussed earlier...

Does anyone else find it curious that, despite the supposed serious nature of whatever is holding up the cars from being delivered, Tesla continues to produce cars and send them to delivery centers?? It seems to me that it would be an awfully irresponsible business/safety decision to continue to take orders and produce vehicles for something that could potentially cause the cars to be unsafe to drive. We've all been aware that the Model S/X refreshes are being held at the factory or simply not being produced in any significant quantity for the time-being. And yet, trucks keep bringing Y's to dealer lots and SA's keep promising June deliveries. Even the estimated delivery dates on the ordering page continues to churn along as if all is well.

My hope is that this issue can be easily rectified given the above. I know we're all skeptical about anything the SA's tell us and that the lack of communication is very frustrating. But if this issue was super-serious that leaves these cars unsafe, why are they still making them?

Where are you hearing that the issue is serious? The only article I saw implied the opposite, that it was minor and could be easily taken care of at a service center.
Yeah, that was probably a poor choice of words, especially since the rest of my post is hopeful that it's not serious since the cars are still being produced and shipped.

I guess I'm just frustrated that there's no information at all. If it's not a big deal, then just say so. I know they don't communicate well, but the noise is only going to grow as cars continue to appear on lots and no one is taking delivery. What is going to be serious is the absolute mess it's going to be once the cars are ready for delivery. Seems like this may be their busiest quarter yet, and with almost no one receiving a car in the first 2 months, handling that volume of deliveries in 1 month sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Hope I'm wrong...

Reactions: FoxVega
The real question is, what type of quality control issues will this cause? It's very clear that Tesla doesn't care too much about QC as demand for the Ys has completely gone through the roof despite the high % of reported issues compared to other car manufacturers. I wonder how much they are trying to get away with by having mobile service complete the install of whatever issue this is.

This is why I really want to get a real answer from Tesla eventually as to what specific thing has caused this containment hold. If it's software for FSD, no problem. If it's a part that a field tech is required to get installed in 5 minutes even though it actually takes 10-15 minutes to install, that's a QC nightmare for customers.

Reactions: Soosh
"Tesla was also affected by the chip shortage. ... “In Q1, we were able to navigate through global chip supply shortage issues in part by pivoting extremely quickly to new microcontrollers, while simultaneously developing firmware for new chips made by new suppliers.” "

My guess is they will deliver cars to the service centers, waiting on the firmware updates

"Tesla was also affected by the chip shortage. ... “In Q1, we were able to navigate through global chip supply shortage issues in part by pivoting extremely quickly to new microcontrollers, while simultaneously developing firmware for new chips made by new suppliers.” "

My guess is they will deliver cars to the service centers, waiting on the firmware updates

They definitely have near me. Drove by my nearby SC and they have a ton of Ys with May manufacture dates just sitting there. Several in my config.

I'm from software background not specific to the firmware field, but if you rush a software release for what ever reason, it for sure will have issue later to bite you back. Almost no exception.

Let's hope their QC team do a good job to find the major issue if any and we will have to deal with the minor one later ourselves... Fingers crossed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2021 MYLR | Deep Blue Metallic | Black | Gemini | 5 Seat - Ordered 4/16

Let’s be serious for a minute and stop speculating about doomsday scenarios. The only part of this that I’m concerned about (yes, still waiting on a VIN), is the fact that if deliveries aren‘t made on time, this will seriously affect Tesla’s stock price, and my bottom line!! The only good that will come of a bottoming out the stock price, is the opportunity to get some more stock at a ‘bargain’ price!!

Reactions: NikolaTs
Not a chip/hardware/software expert.

But does anyone worry about this "new chip"? Like ok currently there is a global chip shortage and tesla is using this "new chip" and needs firmware and all that. In 6-12 months if the chip shortage goes away, will tesla go back to using the old chip or continue with the new chip?

Either way will there be a compatibility issue with the new/old chips going forward with future software updates?

I dont want to be in the position where I get a car with this new chip, but a year later telsa goes back to the old chip and I miss out on future software update functionalities. is that possible?