Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my second set of Continentals. First one BLEW out. Massive structural failure and Continental BLEW me off. Never again. Complete new set and now 21,000 miles later I have a tire with 1-2-1. Garbage tires and garbage company. Never again. Put on new Pirelli's for $235 each, about half of the cost of Continental's junk and the Pirelli's have a 65,000 mile warranty. They ride great.
I ended up going with the Continental DWS 06 tires, at $200 each. So far, 10,000 miles and I'm at 5-5-5 on the rears and 6-6-6 on the fronts. I'm clearly not going to get the warrantied 25k miles on the rears (half of 50k because they're staggered), but my driving style is more to blame for that than anything else.

Which Pirelli tires did you go with? I've considered the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus. but they have the same warranty (50k, half if staggered) and I've not seen many reviews on them. They're also 10% heavier and narrower tread.

I have run two sets of these tires on my Range Rover Sport Supercharged. They're awesome!! They last quite a while (even on the 3 ton RRS - she's a big girl) and they handle very well. Most of all, however, they ride very, very nice compared to the Michelins and Pirelli tires I've run on it prior to and in between the Conti DWS 06

Given the numerous positive reviews of the Conti DWS 06s, I'm going to go with these tires on my Model X. I'll probably go with the 265/45/20 on the front, even though they are technically not XL rated. I don't tow at all, so I don't foresee this being a problem...

Given the numerous positive reviews of the Conti DWS 06s, I'm going to go with these tires on my Model X. I'll probably go with the 265/45/20 on the front, even though they are technically not XL rated. I don't tow at all, so I don't foresee this being a problem...
Keep in mind that the XL load rating is achieved with a stiffer sidewall. It may not be significant enough to matter to you, but the non-XL tire will flex more and likely have a little more muted steering response.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Keep in mind that the XL load rating is achieved with a stiffer sidewall. It may not be significant enough to matter to you, but the non-XL tire will flex more and likely have a little more muted steering response.

Which is bad for handling/performance, but should be noted that it's good for comfort. So if you do not tow and think the ride is a tad harsh; going with a non-XL tire may actually be preferable.

Which is bad for handling/performance, but should be noted that it's good for comfort. So if you do not tow and think the ride is a tad harsh; going with a non-XL tire may actually be preferable.

@Yinn @Krazaak Thank you both for the info and insight. I actually changed my mind and went with the 255/45/20 XL in the DWS06 for the front tires. Quite honestly with the ContiSilents today, the ride is great and smooth, it's the road noise that's obnoxious and annoying. I'm hoping the DWS06s provide a quieter ride and better performance in inclement weather.

The tires just shipped from Tire Rack and should be arriving by early next week, so I will probably get them installed next week. Once I have some miles on them, I'll continue to post some feedback about efficiency, ride quality, and performance.

@Yinn @Krazaak Thank you both for the info and insight. I actually changed my mind and went with the 255/45/20 XL in the DWS06 for the front tires. Quite honestly with the ContiSilents today, the ride is great and smooth, it's the road noise that's obnoxious and annoying. I'm hoping the DWS06s provide a quieter ride and better performance in inclement weather.

The tires just shipped from Tire Rack and should be arriving by early next week, so I will probably get them installed next week. Once I have some miles on them, I'll continue to post some feedback about efficiency, ride quality, and performance.
Look forward to reading your updates. Had a set of DWS06 on my Range Rover - superb tires. My X is brand new so will get some use out of the Conti Cross Contacts that came with it before switching over.

Reactions: madodel
Look forward to reading your updates. Had a set of DWS06 on my Range Rover - superb tires. My X is brand new so will get some use out of the Conti Cross Contacts that came with it before switching over.
Yes please record your experience with the ExtremeContact DWS06. I've had them on my X for about a year and a half now. I find the ride better and quieter than the ContiSilents. All in all I've been happy with the ExtremeContacts but mileage takes about a 10% hit though not sure if that is do to my driving (I seem to be more likely to accelerate faster now since I changed tires). I got about 15k miles out of the Silents in a year and they were pretty bald by the time I had my first PA State Inspection. My local tire dealer could get the Silents but they wouldn't deal with the foam for a hazard warranty. After 18K on the DWS06 they aren't bald but I don't think they'd pass inspection in 6 months. I'm hoping to get another 6 months out of them but if we have a bad winter I will probably replace them before the next inspection. I was hoping there'd be a better option to replace them with but I've read mixed reviews of the Pirellis. Has anyone tried a different tire than the Pirelli, Silents or DWS06? Are people using Summer/Winter tire rotation? I've always used All Weather tires since it's a pain to store a set of tires.

I wonder whether anyone can PM the dealer to get ExtremeContact DWS 06, I'm in the process to get a new set of tires for my X90D(265 45/R20, 275 45/R20), but so far I can only find CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT
You can order them on Tirerack.com or I got mine locally at Discount Tire. The front tire is only available in 255/45R20 with the XL load rating, the 265/45R20 is SL, but technically still within the weight range for the Model X. You have to search for the tires by size on Tirerack though, they don't show up if you search by the car.

Reactions: SilverUnicorn
Even though I do not have a Tesla (please don't burn me at the stake) I just wanted to chime in that I live in South Dakota and we get some pretty brutal winters here.

I have a 09 Mazda 6 (FWD) and I installed DWS06's just before winter last year and they are seriously fantastic tires. They won't replace winter tires but they do a phenomenal job of gripping in snow and ice conditions. Rain I have zero issues with.

Also on a side note I don't know if they are all z speed rated but mine are and when I got them done the tire tech made a comment as to why I would need a Z rated tire on my car. Curious myself I decided to see how fast the car could go. It has the same v6 as the 2010-2014 Mustang and it got up to 135 relatively easily and without much drama. The tires were smooth the whole way. I have no idea what the speed limiter is on the car but I decided not to test it out.

I will definitely be buying again though I may buy dedicated winter tires.

Have had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 installed for 2 months now on MXP90D with 22" wheels replacing the factory Goodyear F1's from 2016. Very happy with grip whether for speed or weather. Quieter than the F1's and comfortable riding. Sidewalls don't seem as stiff but no cornering degradation. I wanted a performance all-season/weather tire and this has fit the bill. All in all, very happy.
Hi @TTMDLX,
Thinking about doing the same switch, but slightly concerned about summer performance, like steering response, dry/wet grip, cornering stability. I'm also surprised you reported quieter ride, even though F1s have a foam in it while DWS dont. I find stock goodyears quite comfy and quiet on 22s, priced well.
Just trying to figure out best tire for X on 22s for summer
I'm not looking to do any winter driving on these, since i have dedicated winter setup.

Hi @TTMDLX,
Thinking about doing the same switch, but slightly concerned about summer performance, like steering response, dry/wet grip, cornering stability. I'm also surprised you reported quieter ride, even though F1s have a foam in it while DWS dont. I find stock goodyears quite comfy and quiet on 22s, priced well.
I'm not looking to do any winter driving on these, since i have dedicated winter setup.
Hi @TTMDLX,

I don't think I would buy these when looking for a summer tire. I bought for all-weather year-round driving in Chicago i.e. snow, yet a tire that still had performance features. I have enjoyed these all summer with zero issues but have not hit the snow yet. I am enjoying the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on 20" wheels with a staggered setup on my M3. Will change out for all-weathers in November. The F1's on the MX were noisy and only lasted 2 years. Were terrible in snow and ice as you'd expect. Pleased with the DWS06 for year-round.

Has anyone tried just taking the foam out of the Contisilents and putting it into the DWS06? Not sure if it is even possible, but seems like they just glue the foam onto the inside of the tire.

Haven’t tried it, but it is possible. I had a local shop repair one of mine using this method: Repairing ContiSilent Tires with Quiet Foam | TechLink
Rubber cement to hold it down.

I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with the entire thing though. I’d ra Her just not have the foam.

• Helpful
Reactions: psgabin and madodel
Anyone have any issues with 255/45/20 XL in the DWS06 for the fronts? As I was driving away, I noticed my traction control light was going turning on but seems to have gone away now. I asked the Tesla service center when I dropped off the spare and they said it was because the computer was confused since the tire was 265 before. The tech was pretty adamant I switch back to 265 as it might cause all sorts of problems, but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything.

Yes please record your experience with the ExtremeContact DWS06. I've had them on my X for about a year and a half now. I find the ride better and quieter than the ContiSilents. All in all I've been happy with the ExtremeContacts but mileage takes about a 10% hit though not sure if that is do to my driving (I seem to be more likely to accelerate faster now since I changed tires). I got about 15k miles out of the Silents in a year and they were pretty bald by the time I had my first PA State Inspection. My local tire dealer could get the Silents but they wouldn't deal with the foam for a hazard warranty. After 18K on the DWS06 they aren't bald but I don't think they'd pass inspection in 6 months. I'm hoping to get another 6 months out of them but if we have a bad winter I will probably replace them before the next inspection. I was hoping there'd be a better option to replace them with but I've read mixed reviews of the Pirellis. Has anyone tried a different tire than the Pirelli, Silents or DWS06? Are people using Summer/Winter tire rotation? I've always used All Weather tires since it's a pain to store a set of tires.

I just put on pirelli scorpion verde plus today. will report back in a few months. Contisilent lasted 20k miles and I do not feel we were really aggressive with them. Only had Camry/accords before so not used to tires lasting so little. But these pirellis were about $175 each (before installation) and on the drive home they seem fine. Not any louder honestly than contisilents to me, but need some more time with them of course.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel

I've had my new DWS06 tires installed and on my vehicle for just over a month and about 2k in miles. Please note, I changed from the 265/45 ContiSilents in the front tires, to 255/45 with the DWS06 due to the XL rating. The rears are still 275/45. Here are my "first impressions":

Ride Quality/Road Noise
Keeping in mind it's still only 2k miles, there is a noticeable improvement in road noise and overall ride quality between the ContiSilents I used to have and the new Continental DWS06s. While definitely not scientific, the most telling way to know road noise is less is I used to have to play my music/radio at the 5-6 volume setting and now I can easily keep it at 4-5 and feel like it's loud enough. Even when the music is muted or off, I feel I can hear the road noise less than before. I hope this is not just a "new tires" result, but really the result of this particular new tire. I'll update again later this year or early next year after I have about 5-7k more miles.

Performance
In terms of acceleration performance, no noticeable changes. When the tires were first installed, I felt a slight shudder or maybe lag in acceleration, but not sure if that was just me or maybe a result of the new tires and increased weight of these tires compared to the ContiSilents. However, the more I drove and I did do a lot driving this past month, this went away or is not even noticeable anymore. Who knows...may have just been my imagination as well.

In terms of all-weather performance, I think it's still a bit early to say. We have had A LOT of rain where I live and I've been driving both local and long distance through some severe thunderstorms with downpours during this last month. I've felt the tires are performing excellent and maybe better than the ContiSilents, but I was never as disgruntled as some others have reported with the ContiSilents. I would definitely say equal to if not better than my ContiSilents. I will be able to report more about all-weather performance as we head into the winter months and, depending on weather, will be able to put these DWS06 tires through their paces in those coming months.

Efficiency
So, this is the one area that I probably have noticed the biggest difference and probably my only area of mild concern so far. These tires are noticeably, dare I say dramatically, less efficient than the ContiSilents were. In local driving, anywhere from ~30-75 Wh/Mi more energy being used compared to the ContiSilents. For example, local driving on a 70-75 degree day with my front two windows slightly down to let air flow (i.e. not running the A/C), with my ContiSilents averaged anywhere between 270-330 Wh/Mi. Now, I'm seeing anywhere from 300 - 400 Wh/Mi with the DWS06s. My driving hasn't changed in any way, my roads have not changed nor where I usually drive, so I have to assume these numbers are the direct result of the new tires. That all said, the good news is the last ~500 miles I have started to see the Wh/Mi come back down a bit. I'm hoping this is/was a temporary spike in energy usage as a result of new tires and these weighing more and/or being better inflated.

I did make two long-distance trips (~250 miles one-way) during this last month on the new tires. Again, much less efficient and the best way to measure this was that these were the same trips I had done a half-dozen times before on the ContiSilent tires. When I would get to the Super Charger I normally stop at to re-charge, I would have anywhere from 25-40 miles remaining. On the new tires, I only had 6 miles remaining (cutting it scary close...) on the first time I did this drive, 11 miles then second time. Obviously, I recognize that weather and other factors can impact this, but at the same time I think the numbers do seem to indicate that the new tires are not as efficient as the ContiSilents were.

I'm planning to do a few more road trips in the coming months. I will report back if this is/was just a temporary spike in using more energy, just the reality of needing to "break in" the new tires and efficiency will get back to "normal" or, if in fact this is the new norm.

Please keep in mind, these are initial impressions after only about 2k in miles and I'll post another update after a few thousand miles more. Overall, so far I'm very happy with the new Continental DWS06 tires and I hope my experience remains positive. I think they are an improvement over the ContiSilents and would recommend them to Model X owners looking for new tires.

I hope this initial review helps folks, but please don't hesitate to ask any questions or about something I may not have covered.

Anyone have any issues with 255/45/20 XL in the DWS06 for the fronts? As I was driving away, I noticed my traction control light was going turning on but seems to have gone away now. I asked the Tesla service center when I dropped off the spare and they said it was because the computer was confused since the tire was 265 before. The tech was pretty adamant I switch back to 265 as it might cause all sorts of problems, but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything.
When I was getting ready to buy a winter wheel set, the tesla store site offered a non-staggered winter wheel set for the X. Seems to me this flies in the face of what that tech told you. I was concerned with something like that happening, though, and asked my then service manager (presumably hit by the mass layoff) how that would work and he said they would reprogram the vehicle when they swapped the wheels back and forth. Since I change them back and forth myself, I opted to buy the matching staggered setup rather than risk having to pay them to remotely make that adjustment twice a year after I did the swap.