Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conversion Tesla Adapter to Mennekes socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's about 4x the price of an equivalent Mennekes to J1772.

Yeah amazed it took this long too. We were discussing it a year ago and I first saw them last summer. Oh well, guess that's the certification process for you.

I will have some of these very shortly that are capable of 70A. I too was surprised at how hard it was to find quality components and finish this project. I can't tell you how many suppliers fell through on quality and delivery promises for the plug and cable. It wasn't just ce compliance.

The good news is the Roadster connector that I designed will have some small features that improve on Tesla's design.

I will have some of these very shortly that are capable of 70A. I too was surprised at how hard it was to find quality components and finish this project. I can't tell you how many suppliers fell through on quality and delivery promises for the plug and cable. It wasn't just ce compliance.

The good news is the Roadster connector that I designed will have some small features that improve on Tesla's design.

Better wait and get yours? as i know, all Type 2 charger (RWE Vattenfall) only provide 32A.

The cable Evan Tuer made me:
1. took the cable and Tesla connector off my MC240
2. added a Mennekes connector on the bare end
3. added a Mennekes socket to the outlet side of the MC240 (where the cable used to emerge)

Net result:

A 32A Mennekes to Tesla cable and
A compact 32A portable Mennekes EVSE.

All the functionality to use regular 32A sockets (like those in Kevin Sharpe's Zerocarbonworld network) and 32A Mennekes sockets (like those provided by Plugged In Places NorthEast and Ecotricity).

It cost about half of Tesla's solution including parts and labour (thoigh obviously without the OEM imprimatur).

Obviously the same approach, but starting from a UMC would be even more flexible.

I'll upload some pictures later.

Does someone know if the TESLA J1772 is compatible with charging station in Europe?

J1772 Mobile Connector Tesla Motors

In USA it is possible to charge 220V AC 70A on charging station. Why don't we have the same solution in Europe?
Tesla England told me that it is not possible because the car can only receive AC voltage and in Europe all charging station who deliver more than 32A are DC voltage.
I know a person who works at DBT and he told me that Mennekers will sell before this summer a 70A plug mode 3. But this plug will work for DC Station.
Does someone know if it is very difficult and bulky to have a DC converter to AC?

Does someone know if the TESLA J1772 is compatible with charging station in Europe?

J1772 Mobile Connector Tesla Motors

In USA it is possible to charge 220V AC 70A on charging station. Why don't we have the same solution in Europe?
Tesla England told me that it is not possible because the car can only receive AC voltage and in Europe all charging station who deliver more than 32A are DC voltage.
I know a person who works at DBT and he told me that Mennekers will sell before this summer a 70A plug mode 3. But this plug will work for DC Station.
Does someone know if it is very difficult and bulky to have a DC converter to AC?
I'd advice you to read this forums a bit more.

To be short, J1772 is the same pilot signal, the only difference is the connector. Tesla is now also selling Mennekes/Type 2 -> Tesla cables, for 32A maximum.

Due to regulations (we have a 3-phase grid) you are not allowed to draw more then 32A per phase. If you want to draw more power you need to have 3-phase chargers, but the Roadster doesn't support that.

The power distribution in the US goes different from Europe.

I'd advice you to read this forums a bit more.

Due to regulations (we have a 3-phase grid) you are not allowed to draw more then 32A per phase. If you want to draw more power you need to have 3-phase chargers, but the Roadster doesn't support that.

The power distribution in the US goes different from Europe.

I am not really agree with you because the TESLA HPC is on a single phase and you can draw 70A. TESLA HPC 220V AC 70A
High Power Wall Connector
Key Benefits
Fastest charging rate
Ideal for storage of your Roadster
Integrated solution for your home
Technical Specs
Max Current: 70A
Voltage: 208-240V, Single phase
Max Power: 16.8 kW
Intelligent auto resettable GFCI Stationary Unit
Cord Length: 25ft

I am not really agree with you because the TESLA HPC is on a single phase and you can draw 70A. TESLA HPC 220V AC 70A

Yes, the HPC can supply 70A single phase but you are usually not allowed to draw such single phase loads from the grid. And since most houses have 3-phase intakes in the form of 3x25A/32A/40A/50A you have no way of supplying 70A from a single phase anyway.

While in danger of repeating ourselves...

The grid in France, Spain, UK and Ireland is more tolerant of single phase high power than in other parts of Europe. However, new installs in France are moving to three phase for anything more than small residential use.

And to add to that, it is possible to get a 70A Mennekes -> Tesla cable - but they are in limited supply. Talk to Kevin and HC Sharp on this forum.
I'm currently testing HC Sharp's 70A Mennekes->Tesla cable in the UK. Once we are happy we will have some to sell... if you're interested then drop me an email or PM.

62196 Type 2 To Tesla Roadster Cable.JPG

My personal adaptor Mennekes => CEE 400V@32A => UMC
pictures shows it with a CEE 32 A power distributor (with switched phases), so I'm able to charge 3 Roadsters with one adaptor.
You see a preliminary version, a more professional one will follow soon.

Attachments

• RWE_Ladesaeule.jpeg
    RWE_Ladesaeule.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 748
My personal adaptor Mennekes => CEE 400V@32A => UMC
pictures shows it with a CEE 32 A power distributor (with switched phases), so I'm able to charge 3 Roadsters with one adaptor.
You see a preliminary version, a more professional one will follow soon.
Nice! I would however switch the Red plugs for the blue 32A plugs, those arenfor single phase.

In Germany, Switzerland & Austria the official Teslamotors Version ist the ilegal red CEE32-5.

are you sure about that ? I looked into the VDE 0100 Standard and found nothing illegal about that, but I'm only a sales engineer, I didn't dig to deep into it :biggrin:

But if you are right, Tesla Europe would be in big trouble. They confirm with the CE sign on the UMC, that it is following every European standard for this kind of device. If it does not they have to pay 5000.-EUR penalty for every single UMC they brought into market.
That would be a very good and very big point to get 3 phase charging for Model S :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(one smiley for every phase)