Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YbdDJI3.jpg

Looks like FL, TX, and GA are going to be Blue States this round.

Reactions: LN1_Casey and gene
“All These Rich People Can’t Stop Themselves”: The Luxe Quarantine Lives of Silicon Valley’s Elite
"Travis Kalanick is throwing (outdoor) parties, private-jet owners are hopping from safe zone to safe zone, and dinner party hosts are administering 15-minute COVID-19 rapid tests—all business as usual. “Coronavirus is a poor person’s virus,” says one source."

For those unfamiliar with TK, he's best known for being the controversial co-founder of Uber.

Coronavirus: Outbreak in Oklahoma State sorority house infects 23 with COVID-19, forcing quarantine

Last edited:
So Trump has found a doctor from the Hoover Institute to be his medical advisor who won't laugh at ingesting bleach and shoving a UV bulb where the light usually doesn't shine. Yep digging the hole deeper will definitely bring things under control.
"We Could Use a Man like Herbert Hoover Again."

Trump elevates Scott Atlas, a doctor with a rosier coronavirus outlook

Atlas, upbeat and relentlessly on message that Americans should resume life as much as they can, is the live embodiment of the president’s Covid-is-not-that-big-of-a-deal approach. Where school superintendents and football conference officials see a risk of the virus’s spread this fall, he cautions against too-strict measures. During Fox News appearances, he has downplayed the need for students to wear face coverings or practice social distancing if schools do reopen.

"It is proven children have no significant risk,” he said during a July 15 TV appearance. It’s a line that Trump has parroted but that hasn’t been borne out in districts where in-person learning has resumed: Schools in Georgia, North Carolina and Indiana have had to shut down shortly after starting the year because of positive cases.

OK I need to clarify, @bkp_duke I should have explicitly mentioned that I posted that IN JEST. It made me laugh! I am firmly in the "wear a mask" camp and am definitely not in league with all the anti-science political wingbats. That video angered me and I had to resist letting loose on the friend who posted it to his timeline.

Gosh I really blew it, now I feel like everyone thinks I'm stupid.

/TCP

Understood. Irony doesn't always come across in posts without the correct emojis, etc. ;)

So Trump has found a doctor from the Hoover Institute to be his medical advisor who won't laugh at ingesting bleach and shoving a UV bulb where the light usually doesn't shine. Yep digging the hole deeper will definitely bring things under control.
"We Could Use a Man like Herbert Hoover Again."

Trump elevates Scott Atlas, a doctor with a rosier coronavirus outlook

Atlas, upbeat and relentlessly on message that Americans should resume life as much as they can, is the live embodiment of the president’s Covid-is-not-that-big-of-a-deal approach. Where school superintendents and football conference officials see a risk of the virus’s spread this fall, he cautions against too-strict measures. During Fox News appearances, he has downplayed the need for students to wear face coverings or practice social distancing if schools do reopen.

"It is proven children have no significant risk,” he said during a July 15 TV appearance. It’s a line that Trump has parroted but that hasn’t been borne out in districts where in-person learning has resumed: Schools in Georgia, North Carolina and Indiana have had to shut down shortly after starting the year because of positive cases.

On a day in which a spokesperson for the moderately right Hoover Institute described the Trump Administration as open quotes lying close quotes about the coronavirus pandemic, it will be interesting to see whether doubling down on lying and obfuscation really works in a climate where the virus is doing significant daily damage in a whole lot of states. I'd wager it won't work. Getting a better face on b******* and spin doesn't change it from b******* into something else.

Reactions: msm859 and madodel
I agree with this approach (and not just because it saves me the effort). Most people who follow this thread have probably already seen those posts, so deleting them won't make much difference. And they will soon be followed by many other, more on-topic posts.

As someone who asked you to keep this thread around, just to affirm I just skipped over the entire dietary conversation. Off topic and irrelevant to me (old but healthy with lots of exercise). Took all of a few seconds, by scanning each first line or quoted post and then moving on if it was off topic. All were TL:DR.

Headline in the New York Times. We are not just losing the battle against the virus but a significant part of that is we are losing the battle against misinformation

Doctors say people they treat are more inclined to believe social media posts than medical professionals.

Doctors on the front lines of the pandemic say they are fighting not just the coronavirus, but also a never-ending scourge of misinformation about the disease that is hurting patients. Some say they regularly treat people more inclined to believe what they read on social media than what a medical professional tells them.

Before the pandemic, medical professionals had grown accustomed to dealing with patients misled by online information, a phenomenon they called Dr. Google. But in interviews, more than a dozen doctors and misinformation researchers in the United States and Europe said the volume related to the virus was like nothing they had seen before.

According to the doctors and researchers, several factors are to blame: leaders like President Trump who amplify fringe theories; social media platforms that are not doing enough to stamp out false information; and individuals who are too quick to believe what they see online.

For example, approximately 800 people worldwide died in the first three months of the year — and thousands more were hospitalized — after following unfounded claims online that advised ingesting highly concentrated alcohol to kill the virus, researchers concluded in a report published last week in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

The American Medical Association and other groups representing doctors say the false information spreading online is harming the public health response to the disease. The World Health Organization is developing methods to measure the harm of virus-related misinformation online, and over two weeks in July the group hosted an online conference with doctors, public health experts and internet researchers about how to address the problem.

The falsehoods, doctors say, have undermined efforts to get people to wear masks and fueled a belief that the seriousness of the disease is overblown.

At some hospitals, people have arrived asking for a doctor’s note so they do not have to wear a mask at work because they believe another online rumor — that it will harm their oxygen levels. And a growing fear is that vaccine conspiracy theories could undermine eventual vaccination efforts critical for returning to pre-pandemic routines.

Online platforms like YouTube, which is owned by Google, and Facebook have introduced policies to limit coronavirus misinformation and elevate material from trusted sources. This month, Facebook and Twitter removed a post by Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign that falsely claimed that children do not get virus.

But untrue information continues to spread. Last month, a video from a group of people calling themselves America’s Frontline Doctors conveyed inaccurate claims about the virus, including that hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug, is an effective coronavirus treatment and that masks do not slow the spread of the virus. The video was viewed millions of times.

Headline in the New York Times. We are not just losing the battle against the virus but a significant part of that is we are losing the battle against misinformation

Doctors say people they treat are more inclined to believe social media posts than medical professionals.

Doctors on the front lines of the pandemic say they are fighting not just the coronavirus, but also a never-ending scourge of misinformation about the disease that is hurting patients. Some say they regularly treat people more inclined to believe what they read on social media than what a medical professional tells them.

Before the pandemic, medical professionals had grown accustomed to dealing with patients misled by online information, a phenomenon they called Dr. Google. But in interviews, more than a dozen doctors and misinformation researchers in the United States and Europe said the volume related to the virus was like nothing they had seen before.

According to the doctors and researchers, several factors are to blame: leaders like President Trump who amplify fringe theories; social media platforms that are not doing enough to stamp out false information; and individuals who are too quick to believe what they see online.

For example, approximately 800 people worldwide died in the first three months of the year — and thousands more were hospitalized — after following unfounded claims online that advised ingesting highly concentrated alcohol to kill the virus, researchers concluded in a report published last week in the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

The American Medical Association and other groups representing doctors say the false information spreading online is harming the public health response to the disease. The World Health Organization is developing methods to measure the harm of virus-related misinformation online, and over two weeks in July the group hosted an online conference with doctors, public health experts and internet researchers about how to address the problem.

The falsehoods, doctors say, have undermined efforts to get people to wear masks and fueled a belief that the seriousness of the disease is overblown.

At some hospitals, people have arrived asking for a doctor’s note so they do not have to wear a mask at work because they believe another online rumor — that it will harm their oxygen levels. And a growing fear is that vaccine conspiracy theories could undermine eventual vaccination efforts critical for returning to pre-pandemic routines.

Online platforms like YouTube, which is owned by Google, and Facebook have introduced policies to limit coronavirus misinformation and elevate material from trusted sources. This month, Facebook and Twitter removed a post by Mr. Trump’s re-election campaign that falsely claimed that children do not get virus.

But untrue information continues to spread. Last month, a video from a group of people calling themselves America’s Frontline Doctors conveyed inaccurate claims about the virus, including that hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malaria drug, is an effective coronavirus treatment and that masks do not slow the spread of the virus. The video was viewed millions of times.

As illustrated by the arguments in this thread.

As illustrated by the arguments in this thread.

Yes and it's forcing me to the discouraging conclusion that social media for all the good that it does may do more harm than good. When you add covid-19 disinformation to Russian troll disinformation, and all the other antisocial actors who have discovered that that they can manipulate huge numbers of people including of course all the totalitarian regimes, it really looks as though social media disinformation is becoming one of the great tools for pulling the wool over the eyes of the general populace so that they continue to support the people that are screwing them. An educated and scientifically literate population would be relatively less vulnerable to manipulation, but we both know that that no longer characterizes the USA. I cringe as I say that because I know that sounds terribly elitist but the fact remains that as the population in a democracy becomes less and less sophisticated they are more and more vulnerable to manipulation. The Greeks discovered this themselves as Athenian democracy was hijacked by a populist movement during the Peloponnesian War.

if seems summary of below article I s “Mutated D614G strain of #CCPVirus found in Malaysia, which spread 10 times faster than the usual strain. Professionals are concerned that this could render existing vaccine studies ineffective against this mutation.”

东南亚现突变中共病毒“传播速度快十倍” - 大纪元

anyone have any comments?
Isn’t it usually the case that the more contagious the less deadly a virus is? So maybe a 10x more contagious Covid19 version would be much less deadly tho?

My last post on the topic in this thread, but important.
Regarding bodies from 1500AD, the older of which had atherosclerosis of the heart and coronary arteries:

"Both the NB and SB showed severe osteoporosis...Osteoporosis is a major health problem for modern Eskimos, the most likely cause being the traditional high protein diet, which results in metabolic acidosis and consequent calcium loss from the bones."
The paleopathology of the cardiovascular system.

this conflicts
Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans - The Weston A. Price Foundation

Weston Price noted an almost complete absence of tooth decay and dental deformities among native Americans who lived as their ancestors did.5 They had broad faces, straight teeth and fine physiques. This was true of the nomadic tribes living in the far northern territories of British Columbia and the Yukon, as well as the wary inhabitants of the Florida Everglades, who were finally coaxed into allowing him to take photographs. Skeletal remains of the Indians of Vancouver that Price studied were similar, showing a virtual absence of tooth decay, arthritis and any other kind of bone deformity. TB was nonexistent among Indians who ate as their ancestors had done, and the women gave birth with ease.

Price interviewed the beloved Dr. Romig in Alaska who stated “that in his thirty-six years of contact with these people he had never seen a case of malignant disease among the truly primitive Eskimos and Indians, although it frequently occurs when they become modernized.”

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
if seems summary of below article I s “Mutated D614G strain of #CCPVirus found in Malaysia, which spread 10 times faster than the usual strain. Professionals are concerned that this could render existing vaccine studies ineffective against this mutation.”

Isn’t it usually the case that the more contagious the less deadly a virus is? So maybe a 10x more contagious Covid19 version would be much less deadly tho?
Are we due for another round of "The Coronavirus has mutated! Now more infectious! and has been since March" articles yet?
We are due. :p
This is the strain that came out of Europe and has been the dominant strain worldwide since March. I don't think there's any evidence that it's less virulent but it doesn't really matter since for all intents and purposes the D614G strain is the Coronavirus.
10 times faster seems like an exaggeration...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
this conflicts
Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans - The Weston A. Price Foundation

Weston Price noted an almost complete absence of tooth decay and dental deformities among native Americans who lived as their ancestors did.5 They had broad faces, straight teeth and fine physiques. This was true of the nomadic tribes living in the far northern territories of British Columbia and the Yukon, as well as the wary inhabitants of the Florida Everglades, who were finally coaxed into allowing him to take photographs. Skeletal remains of the Indians of Vancouver that Price studied were similar, showing a virtual absence of tooth decay, arthritis and any other kind of bone deformity. TB was nonexistent among Indians who ate as their ancestors had done, and the women gave birth with ease.

Price interviewed the beloved Dr. Romig in Alaska who stated “that in his thirty-six years of contact with these people he had never seen a case of malignant disease among the truly primitive Eskimos and Indians, although it frequently occurs when they become modernized.”

That link contains a lot of excellent information. It is consistent with the seminal work of Eaton and Eaton and their Protege Cordain who is still at Colorado IIRC. I recommend everybody reading their work, but that link provides an excellent introduction to the real storyline of the Paleolithic diet. Like the original researchers, this piece at the Price foundation makes it clear that as hunter-gatherer tribes transition to the Western diet, their health uniformly deteriorates, often dramatically.

If folks are interested I could provide a link to download Eaton and Eaton - their seminal chapter in the encyclopedia of hunter-gatherers. Should be required reading for everyone in healthcare. The chart that I posted a couple of days ago documenting the significant lifestyle and biomarker differences between westerners and hunter-gatherers was derived largely from their work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jerry33

It's old news, we have known about this strain (there are 6 in circulation world wide that I posted about a week or two ago).

All data to date, it does not appear any less lethal than the original strain, but does spread faster.

Currently, lethality reductions appear to be due to us having better treatments than 2 months ago (Dexamethasone and other corticosteroids, and Remdesivir).

• Informative
Reactions: TSLAopt and madodel
Skeletal remains of the Indians of Vancouver that Price studied were similar, showing a virtual absence of tooth decay, arthritis and any other kind of bone deformity. TB was nonexistent among Indians who ate as their ancestors had done, and the women gave birth with ease.

Ah, the good old days. When healthy living was a breeze.