Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea that (hydro)chloroquine would inhibit SARS-Cov-2 infection was initially based on real science. Lab tests showed it could actually work based on Vero (Green Monkey Kidney) cells. Unfortunately, the virus infects lung cells using a path not inhibited by Chloroquine.

Do you have a good handy reference to the differences between the Pfizer and Moderna genetic or protein sequence?

The EUAs have the sequences for both Pfizer and Moderna. You can find them, I'm not doing deep dives anymore (I'm on vacation - thank you vaccine).

The HCQ (hydroxychloroquine) data has been around for DECADES. It has ALWAYS shown in vivo (test tube) "promising" results but never, not ONCE, translated to something in vivo (in an organism). The "real science" behind it was always overblown and to anyone actually in the scientific community, was never promising. Go back about a year in this thread, you will see that I was always strongly against HCQ, and always showed the data that demonstrated it didn't do jack squat. Furthermore, it has a pretty nasty side-effect profile (prolonged QT syndrome), it was never a "benign" medication.

The EUAs have the sequences for both Pfizer and Moderna. You can find them, I'm not doing deep dives anymore (I'm on vacation - thank you vaccine).

Okay, thanks, I’ll go back and dig them
up. Enjoy your vacation!

The HCQ (hydroxychloroquine) data has been around for DECADES. It has ALWAYS shown in vivo (test tube) "promising" results but never, not ONCE, translated to something in vivo (in an organism). The "real science" behind it was always overblown and to anyone actually in the scientific community, was never promising. Go back about a year in this thread, you will see that I was always strongly against HCQ, and always showed the data that demonstrated it didn't do jack squat. Furthermore, it has a pretty nasty side-effect profile (prolonged QT syndrome), it was never a "benign" medication.
Sure, but that doesn’t make it “very VERY iffy pseudo-science”. That description is a bit overblown. For all we know, chloroquine really does inhibit human kidney cell infection. It’s just that the virus can use a different pathway to infect other cell types including lung cells.

That’s not to deny that chloroquine was repeatedly oversold for political reasons by Donald Trump and his minions including well after it became apparent that it didn’t work.

“Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro”

No, this is not like chloroquine recommendations, which was "based" upon very VERY iffy pseudo-science. Here is why. The moderna and pfizer vaccines do not encode proteins with the same structure, or even have exactly the same mRNA sequence (both have proprietary insertions to increase their immunogenicity). We do know, for fact, from the antibody studies conducted in the past 3 months that the antibodies produced by the different vaccines produce different epitope-specific antibody sub-types, and it is very likely (would bet my Ph.D. on it) why the Pfizer vaccine has been shown to have more neutralizing antibodies to some of the new variants than the Moderna vaccine.

Using a second dose from a different vaccine (with a proven good track record) would prime your immune system to have a wider repertoire of antibodies saved up under their respective memory B cells, and thereby prime any subsequent reaction to neutralize a SARS-CoV-2 with a greater array of neutralizing antibodies.

For the lay person, it's like shooting a target with a shotgun vs. a rifle. Assuming what one wants to do is hit the target as much as possible, not just one time.
One shot of a two dose regimen is not known to provide the same protection that receiving the second dose of the same vaccine engenders, so you're advocating that two half doses of two different vaccines is somehow better than two doses of the same vaccine.

Until the CDC agrees with you, I'll stick with their guidance.

One shot of a two dose regimen is not known to provide the same protection that receiving the second dose of the same vaccine engenders, so you're advocating that two half doses of two different vaccines is somehow better than two doses of the same vaccine.

I think he's been pretty clear that he doesn't have evidence for this, but based on some very preliminary data from various studies and what he knows about the immune system works, that's the way he'd bet. I think I'd agree with him, but I know nothing about this stuff, and for myself I'll just get the same vaccine, and if there's ever a booster then I'll have to research this again (but probably the CDC will just tell me the right thing to do).

Clearly for the time being, we stick with the approved regimen. The CDC does allow for vaccination by the alternative vaccine if the other is not available (for the mRNA vaccines), or the first is not known, in exceptional situations, but they clearly don't want this to happen. " In exceptional situations in which the vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series."

Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
So, this evening, I went to my neighboring city’s downtown to drop off my kid’s library books. Today was their school district’s first day of Spring Break. I honestly could not tell we ever had a pandemic. Restaurants are packed. The outside seating areas are as close as they can be without bumping into each other. People without masks strolling on the streets. I assume many think they don’t need masks if they’re outside regardless of their situation or surrounding.

I assume many think they don’t need masks if they’re outside regardless of their situation or surrounding.
I wouldn’t risk it personally, but my guess is they are probably pretty close to right about that. But I understand- these are probably not the people who are going to don an N95 mask and eye protection before they go inside. So it is a bit concerning. We need to actually maintain the super-easy measures until we have at least 35-40% of the population fully vaccinated, with much higher vaccination rates in older and vulnerable populations, probably.

I didn't say half doses in that post. I'm advocating, for maximum protection against the original strain AND variants, a full dose of mRNA and then a second FULL dose of a different vaccine (other mRNA not received in first dose, or other vaccine such as J&J or AstraZenica which has high effectiveness).

I did previously state that if we wanted to get the USA to herd immunity as quickly as possible we should split the Moderna doses in 1/2, since that vaccine has 3X as much mRNA in it as the Pfizer vaccine, AND the moderna Phase 1/2 trial data showed a half dose caused nearly (within a few %) the same level of antibody titers as the full dose in the study participants. Moderna's high mRNA dose was chosen specifically with the hope of inducing a better immune response in older individuals, something which was not a trial goal for Pfizer and is why Pfizer has much lower mRNA concentration.

Okay, thanks, I’ll go back and dig them
up. Enjoy your vacation!

Sure, but that doesn’t make it “very VERY iffy pseudo-science”. That description is a bit overblown. For all we know, chloroquine really does inhibit human kidney cell infection. It’s just that the virus can use a different pathway to infect other cell types including lung cells.

That’s not to deny that chloroquine was repeatedly oversold for political reasons by Donald Trump and his minions including well after it became apparent that it didn’t work.

“Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro”

Thanks, I've been so confined to the house for the past year that I quickly turned a lobster-color even with copious SPF 45. :(

HEK cells are an "immortalized cell line" and have had so many genetic modifications to them that they do not represent much of anything SPECIFIC in the body anymore. They have been made into a "generic human cell" and I used them for years in the lab. They are GREAT for first pass experiments, but the problem with them is results in them do not always translate to other, more specific cell lines, or more importantly into organisms. HEK cells were appropriate for a "first pass" test to see if HCQ has any effectiveness in a test tube, but the lay public and politicians latched onto this like rabid animals and drew VERY inaccurate conclusions from the results, conclusions which no scientist would ever make. In fact that Nature article specifically points out that those results ONLY were valid in vitro (i.e. test tube - cell lines, etc.), and NOT in organisms, as the researchers should have.

Since that paper, there have been dozens of high-quality, randomized controlled trials in humans with HCQ . . . and low and behold it has panned out EXACTLY how it did when we tested HCQ against the influenza virus and other viruses decades again . . . like *sugar*. It doesn't do anything beneficial against ANY virus.

Remdesivir showed more promise early on, but long-term testing is showing that it is only really mildly effective, and probably best taken early in the course of mild disease if there is going to be any benefit.

There is another drug in testing showing promise (don't remember the name), but it still should be viewed as far inferior to getting vaccinated. The vaccines are in about 100 million people now, and have shown incredibility safe side effect profiles. Honestly, modern miracles in the time-frame they were built, tested, and distributed.

Thanks, I've been so confined to the house for the past year that I quickly turned a lobster-color even with copious SPF 45. :(

HEK cells are an "immortalized cell line" and have had so many genetic modifications to them that they do not represent much of anything SPECIFIC in the body anymore. They have been made into a "generic human cell" and I used them for years in the lab. They are GREAT for first pass experiments, but the problem with them is results in them do not always translate to other, more specific cell lines, or more importantly into organisms. HEK cells were appropriate for a "first pass" test to see if HCQ has any effectiveness in a test tube, but the lay public and politicians latched onto this like rabid animals and drew VERY inaccurate conclusions from the results, conclusions which no scientist would ever make. In fact that Nature article specifically points out that those results ONLY were valid in vitro (i.e. test tube - cell lines, etc.), and NOT in organisms, as the researchers should have.

Since that paper, there have been dozens of high-quality, randomized controlled trials in humans with HCQ . . . and low and behold it has panned out EXACTLY how it did when we tested HCQ against the influenza virus and other viruses decades again . . . like *sugar*. It doesn't do anything beneficial against ANY virus.

Remdesivir showed more promise early on, but long-term testing is showing that it is only really mildly effective, and probably best taken early in the course of mild disease if there is going to be any benefit.

There is another drug in testing showing promise (don't remember the name), but it still should be viewed as far inferior to getting vaccinated. The vaccines are in about 100 million people now, and have shown incredibility safe side effect profiles. Honestly, modern miracles in the time-frame they were built, tested, and distributed.
BUT WHAT ABOUT HIGH DOSE VITAMIN C THERAPY AND IVERMECTIN? ;)

Are you thinking of bamlanivimab, the monoclonal antibody that does seem to work in patients not sick enough (at that moment) to be hospitalized? Studies suggest it is effective to reduce the severity of COVID in patients who receive it early.

I didn't say half doses in that post. I'm advocating, for maximum protection against the original strain AND variants, a full dose of mRNA and then a second FULL dose of a different vaccine (other mRNA not received in first dose, or other vaccine such as J&J or AstraZenica which has high effectiveness).

I did previously state that if we wanted to get the USA to herd immunity as quickly as possible we should split the Moderna doses in 1/2, since that vaccine has 3X as much mRNA in it as the Pfizer vaccine, AND the moderna Phase 1/2 trial data showed a half dose caused nearly (within a few %) the same level of antibody titers as the full dose in the study participants. Moderna's high mRNA dose was chosen specifically with the hope of inducing a better immune response in older individuals, something which was not a trial goal for Pfizer and is why Pfizer has much lower mRNA concentration.
When the authorized and studied regimen for EACH of these vaccines is two doses, giving one of each is giving two half doses. You dispute that?

Or, when you say two full doses, are you advocating double doses for each vaccine, respectively? Are there studies that show that doing such will actually reduce the spread? Because that seems to take 50% of available vaccine off the table at a time of shortage. I'm trying to understand your logic.

Only 17 percent of Americans now say they won't get a COVID-19 vaccine

"As COVID-19 vaccines continue rolling out throughout the United States, a new poll suggests vaccine hesitancy is on the decline.
In a Census Bureau survey conducted in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 17 percent of adults said they definitely or probably wouldn't get vaccinated against COVID-19, a decline from 22 percent in January...
Meanwhile, a separate poll released by the Kaiser Family Foundation showed 13 percent of respondents said they will "definitely not" get vaccinated. Among Republicans and white evangelical Christians, almost 30 percent said they wouldn't get the vaccine."
-------------------------
Well, pretty much as expected numbers seem to be getting better