Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perfect. The Utah Jazz basketball player that just tested positive for coronavirus?

“Only two days earlier, in an attempt to poke fun at NBA restrictions that kept players at a safe distance from reporters in media availability sessions, Gobert went out of his way to touch every microphone and recording device in front of him with both hands.”

NBA Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Yes, I'm sure the list is not complete or 100% up-to-date. Plus this particular list is tech-focused (I haven't seen a broader one yet).

But I know people who have been getting pressured to show up at the office for work that is done 100% on a computer, which is just nuts.

Out of curiosity what does "turn by turn" mean?
Turn by turn means 50 % will work from home mandatorily for few weeks and the remaining can work from office. But even remaining will have option to work from home. After the few weeks the other group will swap.

Please read what you quoted. Here's my interpretation (but who the heck knows for sure, right?):

Travel ban applies to cargo AND to various other things (whatever that could be).
[Applies to] "anything coming from Europe."
Does not apply to the UK.

Of all the weirdly structured travel bans, this one has to be the weirdest.

@AlanSubie4Life responded below with Trump's clarification--the ban does not include cargo. My apologies.

Not your fault, Trump misspoke. Btw, I haven’t seen any commentary about this, but watching him live, it honestly looked like he was short of breath (which is why he uncharacteristically tripped over some words, like the cargo). You could hear labored breathing here and there. He was hiding it, but it sure wasn’t his normal self.

China proved that through aggressive social distancing measures, this epidemic can be brought under control, and in fact, new infections can be brought to near zero. Note that they started in a much worse situation than we are currently in right now.
I'm not so sure they were worse off. They had 495 confirmed cases and 23 confirmed deaths when they locked Wuhan down. We have 1322 confirmed cases and 38 deaths and have semi-locked down a tiny area near NYC. Wuhan actual infection count was much higher than their confirmed case count, but so is ours.

China's cases were (and still are) overwhelmingly located in Wuhan and surrounding cities in the Hubei province, ours are spread coast-to-coast. Partly due to this concentration and partly for other reasons, the virus did start to overwhelm Wuhan's hospitals despite the low confirmed case count. But despite a lockdown that was more severe than anything we are likely to do, Wuhan still reached severe and critical per capita case counts that would overload our hospitals.

He better not to Canada before April 1. I've got a critical business trip I cannot miss.
If we don't get our act together Canada will be the one closing the border. We've already exported multiple cases to them. Three I heard about were from Denver, Las Vegas and Hawaii. None are considered hotspots.

Ok, but if you go to the ER, they will most likely swab your throat/nose, not your ass....

guy goes into a doctor's office for his annual physical exam and the doctor says "I'll need various samples: blood, urine, semen, stool".

guy says "here, doc, I'll just give you my underwear and you can sort it all out"

Not your fault, Trump misspoke. Btw, I haven’t seen any commentary about this, but watching him live, it honestly looked like he was short of breath (which is why he uncharacteristically tripped over some words, like the cargo). You could hear labored breathing here and there. He was hiding it, but it sure wasn’t his normal self.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that.

Haha. Sounds like someone doesn't know how to use the shells.

for those that don't get the joke:

shells-joke.png

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.
I'm sorry to hear this, good luck, hydrate and rest

I'm not so sure they were worse off. They had 495 confirmed cases and 23 confirmed deaths when they locked Wuhan down. We have 1322 confirmed cases and 38 deaths and have semi-locked down a tiny area near NYC.

True. They later had that large jump in cases due to different reporting rules though. Anyway, point taken. All the more important that local and state authorities anywhere there is any evidence of community spread act immediately. They need to appeal to people to do the right thing.

We are 11.5 days or so behind Italy. Not much time. Seattle I think will need to do more.

The feds appear to be useless. An emergency declaration and the full resources of the federal government devoted to getting testing going would be appreciated. But we get nothing.

Reactions: Dr. J
As of writing:
  • Italy has 827 deaths with 12462 confirmed cases.
  • United States has 37 with 1302 confirmed cases.
  • China 4600+ has deaths with 126000 confirmed cases.
  • Germany has 3 deaths with 1966 confirmed cases.
  • South Korea has 60 deaths out of 7755 confirmed cases.
These mortality rates by country are starkly different. Quality of healthcare in each country doesn't explain this. Percentage of elderly population by country probably doesn't. A different, more deadly strain might (though doesn't make a lot of sense with enormous differences in neighboring countries).

My best guess is that an enormous number of people throughout the world have already been infected. Probably many have recovered who never were identified in their medical system as having been possibly having contracted the virus.

There's a lot of reference to China's draconian quarantines being the reason for their drop off in new cases, but I think herd immunity might explain it. What I mean is, I think the virus was spreading wildly before it was contained. If you believe the R0 of 2+, then it could make sense.

Anecdotally, I know that not until 3/7/2020 (US time) did Shanghai start screening/quarantining international travelers into the country. 14 day mandatory quarantine, symptoms or not. So, through 3/6/2020 all travelers flying in were not screened. But Shanghai is running at a good pace now without exponentially growing cases.

Citations:

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Italy - Wikipedia
2020 coronavirus pandemic in the United States - Wikipedia
2020 coronavirus pandemic in Germany - Wikipedia2020 coronavirus pandemic in South Korea - Wikipedia

*Not sure why SK and China wiki pages aren't linking correctly, but a search should turn them up
**Also not trying to imply certain policy or protocol. Just wash your hands a lot with soap and water and don't touch your head. At least, that's what I've been told.

As of writing:
  • Italy has 827 deaths with 12462 confirmed cases.
  • United States has 37 with 1302 confirmed cases.
  • China 4600+ has deaths with 126000 confirmed cases.
  • Germany has 3 deaths with 1966 confirmed cases.
  • South Korea has 60 deaths out of 7755 confirmed cases.
These mortality rates by country are starkly different. Quality of healthcare in each country doesn't explain this. Percentage of elderly population by country probably doesn't. A different, more deadly strain might (though doesn't make a lot of sense with enormous differences in neighboring countries).

My best guess is that an enormous number of people throughout the world have already been infected. Probably many have recovered who never were identified in their medical system as having been possibly having contracted the virus.

There's a lot of reference to China's draconian quarantines being the reason for their drop off in new cases, but I think herd immunity might explain it. What I mean is, I think the virus was spreading wildly before it was contained. If you believe the R0 of 2+, then it could make sense.

Anecdotally, I know that not until 3/7/2020 (US time) did Shanghai start screening/quarantining international travelers into the country. 14 day mandatory quarantine, symptoms or not. So, through 3/6/2020 all travelers flying in were not screened. But Shanghai is running at a good pace now without exponentially growing cases.

Citations:

2020 coronavirus pandemic in Italy - Wikipedia
2020 coronavirus pandemic in the United States - Wikipedia
2020 coronavirus pandemic in Germany - Wikipedia2020 coronavirus pandemic in South Korea - Wikipedia

*Not sure why SK and China wiki pages aren't linking correctly, but a search should turn them up
**Also not trying to imply certain policy or protocol. Just wash your hands a lot with soap and water and don't touch your head. At least, that's what I've been told.

If you want to speculate, at least get the right numbers. China doesn't have a totally of 126k cases, that's the world total case number. I would use this site to get all the information you need.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,367 Cases and 4,633 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

• Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
If you want to speculate, at least get the right numbers. China doesn't have a totally of 126k cases, that's the world total case number. I would use this site to get all the information you need.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,367 Cases and 4,633 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thanks. You're correct.

Point still stands. I'm not speaking as an authority, and I certainly don't take you as one, either. Difference between Italy and SK, Italy Germany, SK Germany, or anything else still makes my point.