Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm... SMH...

Normally I would say let's leave these knuckleheads to do whatever they want so natural selection can step in but here it's not like that. They're just going to increase chances of others being infected.

I have very mixed feelings these days... on one hand I am warm inside full of "I told you so" from a while back when I was complaining that the US is reopening much too soon but on the other hand, the near future looks pretty grim for everyone here so there's that...

I know it has been a while since I posted an update but my neighbor finally made it home. She is in her 70s and was hospitalized back on March 30th... She was in a rehab facility for a short while before being taken back to the hospital. She did lose a lower leg (below the knee) and the other foot lost some toes. I believe she was on a ventilator for 11 days, but not sure of that number. She's a hell of a fighter :)

Wow good for her but so sad about the cost to her. I’ve been following the updates in the news about Nick Cordero who’s wife has not given up on him despite his being still in the ICU after more than 80 days and losing a leg, lungs full of holes, his doctors fighting off numerous blood clots and infections in his body. At one point more recently they were able to take him off the ventilator but recall that didn’t happen on the first try. His wife said he is awake from the medically induced coma while he was ventilated and can answer questions by his eyes up or down but not much more having been bed ridden for months. He has also just been able to move his jaw a bit. His wife mentions vent settings so not clear on those. She knows rehab would be for a very long time. It’s really a horrible situation considering he was a young (41 years old), healthy, active man performing on Broadway looking forward to his baby’s first birthday back in March. Tonight she reported he is fighting off a new infection.

I hope your neighbor continues to improve each day and the worst is over for her.

Last edited:
That's one of the most remarkable and crazy rants I've seen yet. It's amazing to see the anti-social behavior generated by those who believe that anyone opposing them is evil, while they are the moral center of the universe.
Everytime I think I live amongst the most ignorant dolts I see something like this video and wonder how some areas attract such fruitcake nutjobs. Or is it something in the water down there? They smoking crawdads? Truly bizarre.

Reactions: bkp_duke and dfwatt
made a short trip to the food store early today. mostly, people were masked and keeping distance but one guy working there just acted like nothing was wrong and had no mask, yet was going into the back of the store (employees area). nice, huh?

one of the customers - an older guy - I think he was 'trying' to mask but kept his nose outside the mask as if it was as normal as could be. he smiled at me, almost like he felt he was part of the 'movement' (yeah, I used that word) but he really failed at it, sorry to say. I do think he meant well, but he just wasn't told *well enough* how to wear a mask.

I'm psychologically at the point where I'd be ok with heavy fines strictly enforced in essential businesses (like food markets) for people not wearing masks or wearing them improperly. give them a chance to 'fix it' and if they refuse, not only eject them from the store, but fine them. it should not be the store owners, either; they won't want to be the heavy, here. it needs to have some teeth or customers and employees will continue to not take this seriously.

instead of the cops teargassing protesters, how about we move them to store duty, where they can actually HELP, for a change?

and yeah, I 'went there', too. these are the times that try mens' souls.

You cannot possibly be a physician and spreading this kind of disinformation. The notion that masks are not 100% effective and have some downsides is not a basis for rejecting what has been a fundamental component of effective Public Health strategy in every single country that has gotten covid-19 under control. The epidemiology on this point is unambiguous. To suggest that masks are not a perfect solution is one thing, to suggest that there are better Alternatives - namely not wearing a mask and exposing yourself as well as spreading whatever pathogen you might be carrying and that this is somehow a better alternative - is negligent, anti-scientific, and not simply libertarian nonsense but just plain irresponsible.

View attachment 556402

Here are Covid deaths in Sweden. I think it's kind of important to not just show "cases" until 4/26:..

covid_Sweden.png

EDIT: Forgot Source: sweden covid deaths - Google Search

it should not be the store owners, either; they won't want to be the heavy, here.
It would be a rare store owner who would act before other store owners, but given a dictate by the authorities that applies to *all* businesses, they would comply. And most would happily comply since overall they are not stupid and they realize that Covid is not good for their bottom line. Owners need cover; they want to be able to say to their customers "I'm sorry it has to be this way for you but it is the law and if I do not comply I am heavily fined."

No mask, no service
No mask, no entrance

Well then some of you will claim all of those opposed to measures to reduce the spread are morons. What value do you put on losing your car because you can't make a car payment? Or losing your home because you can't make rent?
What value do you place on losing everything because you're sick and can't work anyway, or dead? In any case the failure of government to support people financially doesn't change the need for preventative measures such as mask wearing.

What value do you place on losing everything because you're sick and can't work anyway, or dead? In any case the failure of government to support people financially doesn't change the need for preventative measures such as mask wearing.
I'm always amused by trumpers who "hate" taxes and welfare ... unless the welfare is going to them

I’m sure some people here may be aware of the fact that states with increasing cases right now are mostly the same states with below average seasonal flu vaccinations. These states will have it a lot worse when Fall/Winter come around.

I know this is a pipe dream, but people who are caught not wearing a mask without a valid reason should be prohibited from receiving any federal and state benefits that pertain to the situation on hand.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and Dr. J

On the flip side, and this is an honest question - why should we (the public) pay for healthcare for people that blatantly do not want to make any effort and put precautions in place to prevent the spread of this disease?

Honestly, even as a physician, part of me is so upset by some of the flagrancy of the anti-maskers and anti-vaxers that if they get COVID-19, why should society, collectively, foot that bill?

And here are US covid deaths: Not great. But to me (layman) -- it seems the curve is on the right path.
Wait a few weeks. Remember that there is a ~ 20 day lag between cases and mortality.

More specifically, the mortality data, once corrected for lag, is an amalgam of mortality reduction due to an increasingly younger cohort, and increasing mortality due to a rise in case load. For now those effects are pulling in opposing directions

You should also not be too naive here. Realize that young people getting infected will eventually come home to elders, even if the latter are not bar hopping.