Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a part of me wants to call this child abuse... any parent who signs it - that, to me, is an UNFIT parent.

how about them apples?

In a court, you would fail miserably to make that claim. And the burden of proof would be on the claimant.

Speaking as a parent, and a pediatrician that has had to refer adults to social services for concern for abuse. You DON'T pull that trigger unless you can fully back it up. Not "make an argument", but it has to be rock solid, otherwise the courts always side with the parents. Always.

So mobility is the answer? So where to we make slavery and white supremacy the standard? Where to we have the religious bastions? Can they overlap with white supremacy and slavery?

Can we have an area that is live and let live, where freedom for your personal beliefs only ends where it harms another or restricts their beliefs?

Reactions: SageBrush
Dr. Salemi at USF has been nice enough to grab all the case data from Florida and plot the results in a nicer form than Florida's dashboard.

There are a lot of tabs - if you go over about 10 you get the screenshot below which provides info on the status of infections in older demographics (trend is mild, but going the wrong direction...)

Tableau Public

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 11.41.21 AM.png

"You have a choice," Dr. George Rutherford, a professor at the University of California, San Francisco, said. "You can be locked down as the economy goes to hell, or you can wear a mask."
Of course, it helps if you wear the mask properly. Quite a few aren't covering their nose.

Phase 1 results for mRNA vaccine have been published:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483?query=RP

Basically, good antibody titer formation (that was dose dependent). No safety stops (i.e. any reaction significant enough to halt progression to Phase 2).

Overall, what I would expect from any decent candidate vaccine.

table 1.jpg

adverse reactions.jpg

Phase 1 results for mRNA vaccine have been published:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483?query=RP

Basically, good antibody titer formation (that was dose dependent). No safety stops (i.e. any reaction significant enough to halt progression to Phase 2).

Overall, what I would expect from any decent candidate vaccine.

View attachment 564571

View attachment 564572

I hope they can get away with the 25ug dose. It looked like it still had a good response, and side effects were significantly less. I was surprised at the prevalence of basically all side effects, especially on the second dose - but the 25ug dose was much better. Also helps it go further.

This is a two-dose vaccine, which is annoying. And it looks like it is important for neutralization (I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the data so I could be wrong).

Reactions: TespaceX
From China
'Six hundred and five COVID-19 patients were enrolled, including 114 who died in hospital. Multivariable Cox regression analysis showed that age (HR 1.02 [95% CI 1.00, 1.04]), male sex (HR 1.75 [95% CI 1.17, 2.60]), CRB-65 score 1–2 (HR 2.68 [95% CI 1.56, 4.59]), CRB-65 score 3–4 (HR 5.25 [95% CI 2.05, 13.43]) and FBG ≥7.0 mmol/l (HR 2.30 [95% CI 1.49, 3.55]) were independent predictors for 28-day mortality. The OR for 28-day in-hospital complications in those with FBG≥7.0 mmol/l and 6.1–6.9 mmol/l vs <6.1 mmol/l was 3.99 (95% CI 2.71, 5.88) or 2.61 (95% CI 1.64, 4.41), respectively.'

Fasting blood glucose at admission is an independent predictor for 28-day mortality in patients with COVID-19 without previous diagnosis of diabetes: a multi-centre retrospective study

upload_2020-7-15_8-15-34.png

This is easily actionable partial protection to improve the odds, just quit eating sugars and refined carbs during the duration of the pandemic.

Its not perfect, but just not picking up that can of cola is a start.

From the NYT

A power grab for coronavirus data
The Trump administration, in a little-noticed document posted this week, has ordered hospitals to bypass the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and, beginning tomorrow, send all coronavirus patient information to a central database in Washington.

Officials say the change will streamline data gathering at the Department of Health and Human Services, and help the White House coronavirus task force track the virus and allocate scarce supplies like personal protective gear and the drug remdesivir.

But critics are sounding alarm bells. They worry that centralizing data within the administration would allow the White House to present information in a way that might be politically advantageous for the president, and that the data could be misused or withheld from the public.

The HHS department under trump is a joke compared to the NIH and CDC (warts and all.)
I'm not too worried yet about lying by the HHS due to state level reporting but if that stops, watch out.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I hope they can get away with the 25ug dose. It looked like it still had a good response, and side effects were significantly less. I was surprised at the prevalence of basically all side effects, especially on the second dose - but the 25ug dose was much better. Also helps it go further.

This is a two-dose vaccine, which is annoying. And it looks like it is important for neutralization (I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the data so I could be wrong).

You stick a needle into someones arm and inject saline you will see a similar side effect profile to the 25 ug dose. I kid you not that there is a STRONG psychic response to people just when they see a needle.

From China
'Six hundred and five COVID-19 patients were enrolled, including 114 who died in hospital. Multivariable Cox regression analysis showed that age (HR 1.02 [95% CI 1.00, 1.04]), male sex (HR 1.75 [95% CI 1.17, 2.60]), CRB-65 score 1–2 (HR 2.68 [95% CI 1.56, 4.59]), CRB-65 score 3–4 (HR 5.25 [95% CI 2.05, 13.43]) and FBG ≥7.0 mmol/l (HR 2.30 [95% CI 1.49, 3.55]) were independent predictors for 28-day mortality. The OR for 28-day in-hospital complications in those with FBG≥7.0 mmol/l and 6.1–6.9 mmol/l vs <6.1 mmol/l was 3.99 (95% CI 2.71, 5.88) or 2.61 (95% CI 1.64, 4.41), respectively.'

Fasting blood glucose at admission is an independent predictor for 28-day mortality in patients with COVID-19 without previous diagnosis of diabetes: a multi-centre retrospective study

View attachment 564598
This is easily actionable partial protection to improve the odds, just quit eating sugars and refined carbs during the duration of the pandemic.

Its not perfect, but just not picking up that can of cola is a start.

It doesn't work that way.

Blood sugar is a byproduct of how well controlled (or not) these patient's diabetes is.

This is not a finding unique to COVID-19. We have known for decades that diabetics in poor control have greater problems fighting off infection.

Also, a significant flaw in this study is that they took a single blood glucose measurement at the time of admission as a marker for diabetic control. In a sense, it is, but it isn't a good one. A better lab choice would have been a HbA1C (3 month measure of control) or a fructosamine (1 month measure of control).

Still, the results are not surprising, and would be nice if they at least motivated a few diabetics to get under better control of their diabetes.

Glycosylated hemoglobin is associated with systemic inflammation, hypercoagulability, and prognosis of COVID-19 patients

Chinese (again) with HbA1C

'High HbA1c level is associated with inflammation, hypercoagulability, and low SaO2 in COVID-19 patients, and the mortality rate (27.7%) is higher in patients with diabetes. Determining HbA1c level after hospital admission is thus helpful assessing inflammation, hypercoagulability, and prognosis of COVID-19 patients.'
upload_2020-7-15_9-18-56.png

For Covid19, as the 3month blood glucose measurement goes up, the oxygen saturation goes down. (E)