Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you tell me with confidence the symptoms will last less than 8 hours and I have zero risk of long term effects I'd put up with the symptoms of the 100 ug dose to reduce my chance of permanent effects of Covid-19 (I'm more worried about loss of lung function or other permanent affects than I am death)

You will never get a doctor to tell you with confidence much of anything. Most of us have been burned by that route.

I fully expect the 100 ug dose to be the standard, as it provides a better antibody result and balances out the side effects. I would suspect that Moderna and the independent labs involved in testing have concerns that a significant number of people that get the 25 ug dose would not form enough protective antibodies to prevent infection.

Reactions: dfwatt
I heard on the news about Moderna's results. I couldn't help but notice that fatigue, fever, chills, headache, nausea, etc. were the same symptoms as the main ones initially listed for covid-19. Is this typical for vaccine reactions to replicate the symptoms?

Yes, it is common, but not universal. Plus, we refer to those as "non-specific symptoms". Just ramping up the immune system will cause the release of certain biochemical mediators that cause those symptoms.

I view this as a positive, a decent indication that the vaccine is triggering the proper immune response.

• Informative
Reactions: deonb and SMAlset
Good point.
Us old fogies remember having to rewrite code because of memory limitations.
Back in the days of Altair having 4K or if lucky 8K of ram are long gone.

My first PC was a Altair with 1K (1024 x 8 bits) of memory connected to an Olivetti telatype.
110 baud paper tape with punch. Switches on the front to toggle in a program so it could read the paper tape.

Good times.
PDP 10, TRS-80 here.
Robin

CSB time, I guess. I live and work in norcal and once in my life, I had a job interview way down in socal area and they flew me down for the day. I'm a tech guy, not a manager type and certainly not a marketing type. I wore normal engineer clothes to my interview, which means not a tie, not a jacket, I'm not sure I wore dress shoes or not. in the bay area, none of that matters. none. 25 years here, working in many kinds of tech jobs, dress matters zero, here. but I got dinged, big-time, for not 'dressing up' for my interview in socal. it was for a big tech company (remote control top tier vendor) and they could not get beyond the fact that I considered dress to be unimportant for a thinking kind of job. one where I'm never in front of customers, etc.

everyone I related that story to chalked it up to norcal/socal culture diffs. I guess that job and that locale was just not for me. and I'm glad I did not relocate down there; I don't think it would have been the right lifestyle choice for me.

socal is 'ruining' the norcal numbers and in fact, I can't really see how good norcal is doing because socal is being such an ass about things.

Must have been in Orange County (I'm guessing). They are a different kind of stuck up there. LA and SD are a tad more relaxed.

fark_1XhUwPIvDTXPpgwPxgT4i3OrqS4.jpg

Scratching my head over this:

Trump says U.S. would have half the number of coronavirus cases if it did half the testing

“Think of this, if we didn’t do testing, instead of testing over 40 million people, if we did half the testing we would have half the cases,” Trump said at a press conference at the White House. “If we did another, you cut that in half, we would have, yet again, half of that. But the headlines are always testing.”

How does doing half the number of tests equate to half as many people positive in reality? The people are still out there positive whether you test for them or not....not only out there but without being tested and knowing they are positive so going about life passing on the infection to others and increasing the number of people who do have it, having their health compromised and many hospitalized and dying too. Really basic understanding here. Makes me wonder about the veracity of the SAT test statement Mary made in her book.
As the CNN lady says: "I have a two year old child. Had I not taken a pregnancy test almost three years ago I would still have a two year old child".

Cases are confirmed positive tests, though, so technically Trump is (almost) correct. Almost because positivity would increase. Infections would also increase since people with mild or no symptoms wouldn't know to self-isolate.
So now the WH is taking over control of the hospital reporting on covid, not the CDC.
Just punishing the CDC for showing hints of a spine recently ("the guidelines are the guidelines" and saying Trump/Pence should set an example by wearing masks). Typical bureaucratic games. Everyone uses the data aggregators like JHU or Worldometers, anyway.

one of the argument for forcing kids back to school is that not everyone has good internet access (and equipment) at home.

you know, this is a pathetically EASY problem to solve. damn. its very little money to upgrade peoples' home network plans (a leadership government would declare this an essential utility and mandate ALL citizens have price-capped modern broadband access, but that's for another thread). and its also not much money to provide desktops (not even saying laptops) from even 2 years ago's tech (refurbs, perfectly fine) to those that need them.

there should be plenty of money in the US budget for stuff like this. hey, don't buy 2 or 3 tanks or stuff like that - bingo - money for kids and schools!

then, there is no excuse for 'distance learning wont work'. it does work and it can work.

again, we just don't want the 'poors' to have nice things, so we hold back on the simple solution.

Reactions: madodel
So now the WH is taking over control of the hospital reporting on covid, not the CDC.

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC - CNNPolitics

Data is to go to the WH, then it sounds like it will go to the CDC. Something lost in translation? Will U.S. “numbers” now start looking better and show we are winning the war on covid? What possible purpose could hospitals sending data to WH be for?

Time for hospitals to report to an independent entity and bypass the BS.

santa ana - had to look it up as it was several years ago and it was my only time down there. the place was UEI, fwiw.

I was brought on the advisory board for an OC startup 3 years ago and when I showed up in my jeans and sandals (hey, it was a startup, and they weren't paying me to be on the board) I got some seriously bad looks. I called one of them out and said if they pay me, I'll put on a suit, but when you ask for free help you should not judge.

Funny, they all wanted to talk about the Model S I got out of, but where seriously hung up on my "beach attire".

one of the argument for forcing kids back to school is that not everyone has good internet access (and equipment) at home.

you know, this is a pathetically EASY problem to solve. damn. its very little money to upgrade peoples' home network plans (a leadership government would declare this an essential utility and mandate ALL citizens have price-capped modern broadband access, but that's for another thread). and its also not much money to provide desktops (not even saying laptops) from even 2 years ago's tech (refurbs, perfectly fine) to those that need them.

there should be plenty of money in the US budget for stuff like this. hey, don't buy 2 or 3 tanks or stuff like that - bingo - money for kids and schools!

then, there is no excuse for 'distance learning wont work'. it does work and it can work.

again, we just don't want the 'poors' to have nice things, so we hold back on the simple solution.

It's not that simple. I have family that live in the boonies in the southeast, and there are no internet providers beyond dial-up or if they are lucky 2Mbs cable internet. Most of them rely upon their cell phones, but tethering plans are still really expensive in those areas because there usually is just a single cell company with good coverage.

Perhaps Elon could pony up to get them all in the Starlink beta.

It's not that simple. I have family that live in the boonies in the southeast, and there are no internet providers beyond dial-up or if they are lucky 2Mbs cable internet. Most of them rely upon their cell phones, but tethering plans are still really expensive in those areas because there usually is just a single cell company with good coverage.

Perhaps Elon could pony up to get them all in the Starlink beta.

again, the tech is stupid simple to install/upgrade (at the carriers, etc). there are lots of ways to extend broadband; I used to work at an RF networking company that did tower-to-tower data relays for carriers and we had amazing performance and the cost was not outrageous, either. but, well, NO telco wants to spend money. they are more cheap-ass than car companies (and that's saying a lot).

if the feds came down and forced all telcos to act more like utilities, we'd have this solved.

do people not have electricity? not have plumbing and hot and cold running water? sewage? mail deliveries?

why OH WHY is internet not in that catagory?

all those are solvable. it used to be a field I was in, so I know networking is trivially simple, at this point, and its only about cost. money that the telcos and carriers already have been raping us over, for years; taking lots of our funds that just keeping it. lots of still dark fiber they wont light up. google with their fiber program was killed by locals and governments and carriers, who didn't want to open the market up and give more people modern broadband.

solving a virus that we just don't have a good handle on: HARD

solving a simple tech problem like broadband-for-everyone: really not hard at all

annoys me so much. simple things that could be fixed. but no, again, we don't want the poors to have nice things. its JUST about that and nothing else.

Coronavirus hospital data will now be sent to Trump administration instead of CDC - CNNPolitics

Data is to go to the WH, then it sounds like it will go to the CDC. Something lost in translation? Will U.S. “numbers” now start looking better and show we are winning the war on covid? What possible purpose could hospitals sending data to WH be for?

And people claim that China’s numbers are suspect? The WH isn’t even trying to be discreet.

Orange County Education Board Member On Her Vote For Schools To Reopen Without Masks

While it might be possible she didn't have time to prepare well for the interview...

"MCCAMMON: And we should note that your recommendations are not binding recommendations, but they are what your board is advising. They say that masks may be harmful to students and that social distancing causes, quote, "child harm." How so?
SPARKS: I think that the data is not completely conclusive. And that is the main point of all of this COVID crisis is we just don't have enough data."

"SPARKS: We're not endorsing that students return to school without masks or without social distancing. We're saying that that may - that 100% compliance may be unrealistic.

MCCAMMON: You say this to me, but your white paper, which is part of the policy you supported, says, quote, "requiring children to wear masks during school is not only difficult - if not impossible to implement - but not based on science. It may even be harmful and is therefore not recommended."

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and madodel
Time for hospitals to report to an independent entity and bypass the BS.

WHY is it exclusive?

if I can submit data to place A, why would I be stopped from also sending it to other places?

this isn't an either/or situation.

I hope this gets enough attention that it gets pushed back. this is so wrong at every possible angle I can view it at.

basically, trump and his cronies are spherically evil. ie, they are evil, any way you look at them.

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells

While that may be one of the arguments, its definitely not the main issue. The biggest problem is what to do with elementary aged kids that can't be left home alone. Also, elementary kids would need an adult to basically home school them. Not easy to do when both parents work. For most elementary aged kids, going fully online would basically be a lost year of learning and development.