Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, then if you look into who handles that data for HHS you'll see that it's a company called Palantir Technologies. It just happens to be cofounded by Peter Thiel who was an early Trump supporter.

I'm quite aware of palantir, and they are creepy as hell. that's another thing I hate about this whole deal.

the last thing I hate is that they are clearly not using unix. if they did, they would understand that you can replace a pipe with a tee and then you can keep everyone happy.

Reactions: Yuri_G
It’s been so short time since COVID-19 actually started, that I’m curious whether an actual scientific study has yet been conducted (with volunteers, for example, not with just test tubes), about the actual contagiousness and seriouness of COVID-19, or is it all still just a bunch of guesswork and anecdotal (might not actually be causal, just correlated) evidence and rumors from all over the place? I mean rigorious testing in various circumstances:
  • person-to-person, open air at various distances (with and without different levels of wind), with and without mask, different kinds of masks, with coffing, without coffing or sneezing
  • person-to-person, cubicle, with and without mask, different kinds of masks, with coffing, without coffing or sneezing
  • person-to-person, inhouse in typical shop or restaurant setting, with and without mask, different kinds of masks, with coffing, without coffing or sneezing
  • person-to-person, where-have-you, with and without mask, different kinds of masks, with coffing, without coffing or sneezing
  • contracting from touching contaminated PPE
  • contracting by hands from various sources, public places (buttons, handles, plastic, other materials, with or/without sunshine, after various intervals)
And furthermore, the effect of covid on people with different backgrounds:
  • healthy, different age groups, different treatment protocols, including analysis of any residual long-lasting effects per group
  • different pre-existing conditions, different age groups, different treatment protocols, including analysis of any residual long-lasting effects per group
It seems that simply backtracing and trying to deduce the above from non-pre-coordinated random cases leads to a whole lot of innuendo. If all the above was done in a pre-coordinated (and reproducible; you could even re-(don't)-try-it-at-home, if you wanted) way, even Foxnews audience could not deny it.

These are really important questions the answers to which, if we had them, would allow much better tailoring of our response.

The only problem is how to get the data. Infecting people to gather it would be unethical, completely irresponsible, that level of field data is not worth killing for. But these questions are important to fund research on. For some things we might be able to code up detailed computer simulations that would provide some insight. Or perhaps we could simply test for droplet spread with some sort of tracer without going all the way to results with infectious diseases contracted. I hope this research is currently on going.

For instance 6 ft is a current target social isolation. It would be helpful to know how critical that is. How high and completely do plexiglass barriers need to be for less spacing with similar results?

Common sense is probably enough in the absence of detailed tests. Virus appears to be airborne-lite, focus on preventing droplet transfer. We are not flying completely blind. But given the huge impact of public health interventions more data that would support more tailoring of responses is a worthy goal.

Regarding kids and covid19 / flu (australia context)

Flu cases by age
Screenshot_2020-07-17-22-44-14-1.png

Covid19 cases by age.
Screenshot_2020-07-17-22-38-35-1.png

Now the majority if those under 20age cases seem to be from single islamic school in Melbourne.

Note well the case curves are opposite to each other.

Hypotheses I make.
Flu represents a non novel infection, with both vaccines and previous exposures.
Vs Covid 19 is novel.

It seems kids are not immune but are resistent to catching covid19, the effect start to disappear at about 16yrs and by the 20s is gone.

More wild guess for what im watching for, kids exposure to school infections predispose their immune system to fight covid19, that effect is neither short term nor long term. Likewise i'm not expecting the vaccine to be a short term failure, but not a long term remedy either.

Heh heh. Worst case sceenario 4 more years...and then his daughter for another 8...and then... sorry. Just touting the whacky wish list of all our neighbours in Palm Springs. They adore this guy.

The opposition to Trump is very strong. His strongest support until this year has been among the Silent Generation (born before 1945), but because they are worst affected by COVID, that's eroding too. His approval numbers have been about 45 approve/55 disapprove for the last 2 years, but the polls have been slowly shifting south over the last month or two. Here is a rundown of polls, the most recent approval polls came out on July 15
Latest Polls

If you click on any of those approval polls and look at the internals, almost all of the disapproval are people who strongly disapprove, while his approval is about 1/2 strong approve and 1/2 strong disapprove.

And the Trump style will not carry over to anyone else. Some other Republicans have tried to be like Trump and they lost.

In a re-election presidents the share of the popular vote is always within a point or two of their approval. GW Bush and Obama got less than 1/2% difference. With an approval number around 40% the math isn't there to win the electoral college. At the 46% he got last time with third parties getting around 6% of the vote (he lost the popular vote by a little over 2%) he was able to squeak out a tiny margin in 4 states (slightly over 1% in Florida, plus under 1% in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) to get enough electoral votes.

Getting very much below what he got in 2016 the map gets impossible. At this point Michigan is probably out of reach, and he's behind in the polls in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Arizona too. Some polls show him behind in North Carolina and both Georgia and Texas show tight races. Biden has many paths to 270+ electoral votes and Trump has pretty much none unless things change dramatically.

Might try a multivitamin.
Kirkland Adult Multivitamin Gummies
Has 400 IU per gummi

You reminded me I have taken a high quality multi-vitamin for many years and it has 400 IU in it. So when I overdosed I was taking 800 a day. I am OK with the 400 in my multi-vitamin. Though I have noticed in the summer if I'm outside in the sun a lot that I can get to the edge of the dehydration problem. I've had a couple of times when I had a day or two of struggling to hydrate after spending too much time in the sun.

I also get some vitamin D and the building blocks from my diet too. I'm not a health food nut, but we eat fairly well. It helps that neither of us are into sugar much.

Regarding kids and covid19 / flu (australia context)

Flu cases by age
View attachment 565568

Covid19 cases by age.
View attachment 565569

Now the majority if those under 20age cases seem to be from single islamic school in Melbourne.

Note well the case curves are opposite to each other.

Hypotheses I make.
Flu represents a non novel infection, with both vaccines and previous exposures.
Vs Covid 19 is novel.

It seems kids are not immune but are resistent to catching covid19, the effect start to disappear at about 16yrs and by the 20s is gone.

More wild guess for what im watching for, kids exposure to school infections predispose their immune system to fight covid19, that effect is neither short term nor long term. Likewise i'm not expecting the vaccine to be a short term failure, but not a long term remedy either.

The curves in Australia look like they do because you were very aggressive at stomping out COVID there. It's been allowed to go free range in the United States and it's close to collapsing the hospital systems in some states. About 80% of people get over COVID with no serious problems, but the other 20% often need some kind of hospitalization or they die. About half of those who are hospitalized have some kind of organ damage that might be permanent.

Any doctor who has been on the front lines of this in the United States will tell you that COVID is a far more dangerous virus than the common flu.

One way of looking at it is that it's simply a Republican looking to the private sector to solve a problem. That problem is enabling fast reporting offered by a more modern system.

But, then if you look into who handles that data for HHS you'll see that it's a company called Palantir Technologies. It just happens to be cofounded by Peter Thiel who was an early Trump supporter.

So is Trump trying to hide the data or is he rewarding friends?

I don't have enough understanding of everything to really say.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/7/16/21323458/palantir-ipo-hhs-protect-peter-thiel-cia-intelligence

Trust me. It's far worse than that. Peter Thiel is actually the greatest threat to democracy aside from Trump that nobody knows about. He is a brilliant but ruthless crypto-fascist software architect for the surveillance State. He is to that area what Elon Musk is to sustainable transportation and energy. He's intellectually gifted, and deeply in my opinion sociopathic. His software is being used by military and intelligence groups and possibly by some police groups although this is unclear. It's unclear what his group will do with the covid-19 data but you can bet that it will be manipulated, weaponized, and politicized. Peter doesn't do business any other way. Watch out for this guy. Like I said I think he's the most dangerous person in the country aside from Trump. It's not a coincidence that Facebook took a hard right turn when Peter and Ralph Ellison were appointed to the board, or that PayPal under his guiding hand became the primary Finance operation on the internet and simultaneously the object of an awful lot of consumer and class action lawsuits. Like I said watch out for this guy. He's just plain dangerous.

Last edited:
I just checked. It looks like it's getting hard to find, but it was 400 IU.

- Swanson Health Products
I suspect you're having something else go on rather than a reaction to elevated vitamin D although this is outside my primary area of expertise so this is not a professional clinical opinion. 400 international units actually raises your serum levels in the nanogram range by just about four points. In other words it's not meaningful, it's not enough to mitigate deficiency frankly, certainly not enough to raise it to over 100 nanograms per milliliter which would be a toxic range , and the fact that you have such a profound reaction to this suggests something but not vitamin D toxicity. Raising your blood level four points shouldn't make much if any difference one way or the other. So the fact that you're having a reaction to this suggests that something is up. There are other compounds and chemicals in this aside from vitamin D3.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and madodel
I wonder what the medical professionals think of this. Disturbing if accurate.

If the point of this is to document substandard care, incompetence, corner-cutting, lack of careful clinical thinking, there is no controversy IMO. I hate to break it to anyone who might have an idealized picture of what goes on in hospitals but hospitals are the most dangerous place in the world for people to go outside of a war zone. The level of medical errors is scary. And at the same time there are places where you can get consistently excellent care under the watchful eye of a really skilled physician. But there are places and units and Physicians where all of the above (substandard care, medicine and other technology errors, incompetence, corner-cutting, lack of careful clinical thinking) goes on routinely and with anywhere between bad and lethal outcomes. If you do become an inpatient you better ask lots of questions and if something seems off or simply doesn't make sense you need to bring it to somebody's attention. Obviously it's hard to do that when you're intubated.

Of course it's very bad practice to have covid rule outs admitted to a covid unit where they are not isolated from covid positive patients. That's obviously a bad practice, and yes the lack of rapid diagnostic testing in this country which directly contributed to that practice in this case is Criminal. If on the other hand the point of this video is to suggest a deep state conspiracy well that's of course total horseshit.

Last edited:
Many of the comments went in that direction :rolleyes:

By that direction you mean the Deep state conspiracy Direction? That's not surprising given the authors of this open quotes expose close quotes. The other issue is that if she in any of her videography exposed a single patient name or an identifiable face she will lose her license. She may get whistleblower protection on some things but not on that.

Reactions: bkp_duke
If the point of this is to document substandard care, incompetence, corner-cutting, lack of careful clinical thinking, there is no controversy IMO. I hate to break it to anyone who might have an idealized picture of what goes on in hospitals but hospitals are the most dangerous place in the world for people to go outside of a war zone. The level of medical errors is scary. And at the same time there are places where you can get consistently excellent care under the watchful eye of a really skilled physician. But there are places and units and Physicians where all of the above (substandard care, medicine and other technology errors, incompetence, corner-cutting, lack of careful clinical thinking) goes on routinely and with anywhere between bad and lethal outcomes. Of course it's very bad practice to have covid rule outs admitted to a covid unit where they are not isolated from covid positive patients. That's obviously a bad practice, and yes the lack of rapid diagnostic testing in this country which directly contributed to that practice in this case is Criminal. If on the other hand the point of this video is to suggest a deep state conspiracy well that's of course total horseshit.
Medical malpractice happens. It is most concerning when it is deliberate and sadly a lot of hospitals if not most just cover it up. About 15 years ago a Cardiologist at our local hospital who was the department chief suspected that one of the other Cardiologists was performing unnecessary stents on patients. He went over several of the cases and found several of those that what the guy was doing was documenting cases as having blockages over 90% when films showed much less blockage. Insurance companies don't review films and just assume the doctor wasn't lying. So no one would catch it unless they knew what they were looking for. So the Department chief went to the hospital administrators about it and they did nothing. So then he went public and sent letters to each of the patients he had documented it for. Guess who was forced to resign? The hospital had to refund Medicare all the payments it received for the unnecessary procedures. It actually made the local paper but patients continued to be referred to this creep and he is still practicing at that hospital and the other local hospital because he brings in business.

Last edited: