Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t quite get the arbitrary 1000 people size cut off

That focuses on the ones that are most at risk of bumping up the R0.

In a population with a small ratio of infected vs. total people, you'd rather have 10 meetings of 100 people than one meeting of 1000 people. Not to mention that social peer pressure to go home if you have symptoms that might be those of a disease and to have good hygiene are much more effective if there are only 100 people.

Who do you believe? Does anyone really know the truth? Logically thinking through it, I would expect that a face mask would offer more protection than not wearing one?

its a fact that face masks are OOS everywhere and in short supply for the pros.

if we could all buy them (or, if we all already HAD them, hmmm, think about that, for a minute) - would the US government (cdc) say the same thing they are now?

I think if you do have a mask, maybe you should use it? those in charge are doing panic-control; but if you do have a mask, SHOULD you wear it? I'm thinking 'yes'.

Reactions: snorp
I was practicing during 2009 H1N1. I can say definitively that it certainly was worse than a typical flu season

It may have felt that way, and your particular hospital might indeed have been very busy. But overall, studies pin that year as no worse than an average year.

2009 flu pandemic - Wikipedia

According to the CDC, 2009 H1N1 was (April to April in the US):
  • Cases: 43m-89m, mean estimate 61m
  • Hospitalizations: 195k-403k, mean estimate 274k
  • Deaths: 8,87k-18,3k deaths, mean estimate 12,47k
Average (2010–11 through 2018–19 seasons):
  • Cases: 9m-49m
  • Hospitalizations: 140k-960k
  • Deaths: 12,4k-79,4k
This year (up to 22 Feb - seasonal flu, exclusive of COVID-19)
  • Cases: 32m
  • Hospitalizations: 310k
  • Deaths: 18k
But to be fair, a lot of the success in keeping the number of casualties down was due to all of the preparation work.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dig deeper
its a fact that face masks are OOS everywhere and in short supply for the pros.

Maybe that OOS signals a priority problem within our economic thinking or inflexibility within our economy to adapt. When BYD and SAIC-Motors can divert resources towards facemask producton, then why don't we do it to when we face supply issues?
Liquor company diverting production capacity towards handsanitizers? Is it really too difficult for us to think or act out of the box ?

China pushes all-out production of face masks in virus fight

Reactions: linux-works
Maybe that OOS signals a priority problem within our economic thinking or inflexibility within our economy to adapt. When BYD and SAIC-Motors can divert resources towards facemask producton, then why don't we do it to when we face supply issues?
Liquor company diverting production capacity towards handsanitizers? Is it really too difficult for us to think or act out of the box ?

China pushes all-out production of face masks in virus fight
Capitalism vs Communism
Constitutional republic vs Totalitarianism
Take your pick
You can't have both

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
That focuses on the ones that are most at risk of bumping up the R0.

In a population with a small ratio of infected vs. total people, you'd rather have 10 meetings of 100 people than one meeting of 1000 people. Not to mention that social peer pressure to go home if you have symptoms that might be those of a disease and to have good hygiene are much more effective if there are only 100 people.

That makes sense. But then why is the cut off number so high? You can cram a conference room with 800-900 people, but 1000 is not permitted - that didn’t make any sense, should be much lower cut off.

Capitalism vs Communism

While possibly true, think about the amount of potential profits you can make when you switch to face mask or toilet paper production now and sell the products for "free" market prices on ebay or amazon :)

Long time ago at school i learned that it where those communists that were inefficient in allocating their resources.

Last edited:
While possibly true, think about the amount of potential profits you can make when you switch to face mask or toilet paper production now and sell the products for "free" market prices on ebay or amazon :)
It's just impossible. For all the cons of communism, one thing it shines at is the ability of the government to coerce businesses into doing whatever it needs them to do. The same mechanism by which they control the media. Without government mandate, we'll never be able to make businesses do what they do in China.

• Informative
Reactions: guidooo
fark_gs-101Iy_hniljX1xMsfmFnScbo.jpg