Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding face masks, US Surgeon General tweets "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus"

Some researchers in China are recommending wearing face masks on public transportation. I'm not sure what the official Chinese policy is regarding face masks.

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

From the article:

The researchers also found that none of those passengers in the two buses who wore face masks were infected.
They said it vindicated the decision to ask people to wear a face mask in public.
“When riding on more closed public transportation such as subways, cars, planes, etc, you should wear a mask all the time, and at the same time, minimise the contact between your hands and public areas, and avoid touching your face before cleaning,” they said.

Who do you believe? Does anyone really know the truth? Logically thinking through it, I would expect that a face mask would offer more protection than not wearing one?

It doesn't. It IS useful for someone that is contagious to use one, but that's about it. And then, most people aren't trained to properly use them (they keep touching their face, which negates any effectiveness).

Logically thinking through it, I would expect that a face mask would offer more protection than not wearing one?
The best argument I've heard for face masks is that it's a constant reminder to keep your hands off of your mouth, so long as you're not sliding your hands under the mask. Statistically speaking, people touch their mouths less while wearing one, and that may be one of the benefits. But I can't imagine it being terribly helpful in the open air of a city.

Regarding face masks, US Surgeon General tweets "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus"

Some researchers in China are recommending wearing face masks on public transportation. I'm not sure what the official Chinese policy is regarding face masks.

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

From the article:

The researchers also found that none of those passengers in the two buses who wore face masks were infected.
They said it vindicated the decision to ask people to wear a face mask in public.
“When riding on more closed public transportation such as subways, cars, planes, etc, you should wear a mask all the time, and at the same time, minimise the contact between your hands and public areas, and avoid touching your face before cleaning,” they said.

Who do you believe? Does anyone really know the truth? Logically thinking through it, I would expect that a face mask would offer more protection than not wearing one?
In the event of a shortage of facemask, how can you recommend the general public to wear it. panic buying will eliminate the chance for medical professionals to get it.

you gotta take in consideration the US's population density compared to China. In the US its 93 people / square miles. China's is 375. When you have that many more people, 4x to be exact, stuffed in there, spreading via air is a real thing.
The contrast is even sharper than that. In China, about half of the land is uninhabitable (high Mountains/Deserts etc), while in the U.S. most lands are arable/livable. So China's population is concentrated on the east part, much higher density than U.S. This is why I doubt we will see a similar wide spread in U.S. as what happened in Asia/Europe.

Reactions: JusRelax
The contrast is even sharper than that. In China, about half of the land is uninhabitable (high Mountains/Deserts etc), while in the U.S. most lands are arable/livable. So China's population is concentrated on the east part, much higher density than U.S. This is why I doubt we will see a similar wide spread in U.S. as what happened in Asia/Europe.

There are a number of factors in play - Governmental response, social/cultural norms, public transit use, population density. The US has some working in its favor, but others working against it. One of the worst things that could happen is a continued downplaying of the virus's potential, which will get people to drop their guard and continue to engage in risky behavior.

I will remain optimistic, but guarded against the possibility that we trend toward Italy's present situation.

It's all about knowing how to use them. That's the greatest failing I see repeatedly when the lay public puts them on. But, they aren't going to hurt people, so I'm not against them as long as there are enough for the professionals when they need them.

Best case is if there's enough for everyone. So when the whole population wears them at least 20% will wear them correctly with a good fit, another 30% somewhat correctly. Half will wear them wrong, but it still have some mitigation effect and maybe 10% of those half wears them inside out and another 10% wears it without covering their nose.

With education and constant commercial broadcast, eventually the whole population will begin to wear them correctly. But that might be too much to expect of our broadcasting corporations that is profit driven.

Sobering news. Given enough time, almost everyone gets infected (older people with under lying conditions).

Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington has received new #coronavirus test results for 35 residents:

31 positive
1 negative
3 inconclusive

They are still awaiting test results for the remaining 20 Life Care residents.​
There are now 3 other nursing facilities with reported cases. 2 of them have fatalities - one of them quite close to me.

ps : Feels like Inslee is preparing everyone for mandatory social distancing.

Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee on Tuesday morning directed nursing homes and assisted living facilities to restrict the number of visitors they let in and screen workers at the start of every shift.
Inslee stopped short of announcing any “social distancing” measures, such as restricting large public events. That approach has also been discussed, but not yet implemented, in Seattle and King County.

However, Inslee said he “wouldn’t be shocked” if such an announcement were to come in days.​

And this looks like a decent response for people who are sick but don't want to miss work because they need money.

The governor also announced a rule that unemployment benefits will be available to workers in isolation or quarantine due to a COVID-19 diagnosis or suspected exposure to the virus. Meanwhile, the state is expanding leave and telework options for Washington state employees.​

Last edited:
Much to be debated, but I am wondering if the virus can continue to spread at the initial exponential growth speed when public awareness has been raised and government prevention actions now in place.
Unfortunately, people aren't always either rational or obedient, and governments depend on the goodwill and common sense of their citizens.

Just look at Italy: announce a lockdown of part of the country and people rush to the last trains to scatter all over the country. Tell them to stay home and they all rush to the shops at the same time. Hardly successful if you're trying to implement social distancing measures...

They aren't effective at preventing you from catching a virus, but they are darn well effective at lowering your chances of transmitting the disease through droplet transmission if you have a cough.

Of course that supposes that people are actually mindful about the effect they have on others, rather than motivated only by their personal well-being. In certain socieities there _is_ quite some social peer pressure: on a train in Tokyo when I last visited (well before this virus scare) no one would have dreamt of having a cough and not wearing a mouth mask.

Reactions: humbaba