Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot let this pass without comment and in now way am I trying to set off another thread about Autism but:

Andrew Wakefield published a paper saying that he felt there was sufficient evidence to warrant a full study into the potential link. At no point did he say his research positively linked the MMR vaccine to Autism, simply that from stories he heard from his patients and other sources the link needed to be properly researched to either confirm or discount the link.

I am sick of people saying he published false findings and he is a fraud. He was only trying to bring proper attention to a POSSIBLE link.
And I cannot let this pass without comment. No, indeed he did falsify information in order to draw the conclusion he desired to draw. A conclusion which has been proven false repeatedly, yet he still leads the charge on this completely misguided and dangerous nonsense from Austin, Texas.

More info here: Wakefield’s article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent.

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.
I am so sorry to read your post. What treatment are you undergoing, if any? I think we all scared and the more information, that is accurate and trustworthy, the faster we can start to control this virus. We need "aggressive" leadership out of Washington who doesn't recognize we are "at war", so to speak. My sincere wishes for you and your wife for getting through this safely.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
And I cannot let this pass without comment. No, indeed he did falsify information in order to draw the conclusion he desired to draw. A conclusion which has been proven false repeatedly, yet he still leads the charge on this completely misguided and dangerous nonsense from Austin, Texas.

More info here: Wakefield’s article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent.

Watch the documentary Vaxxed where he both explains exactly what and why he wrote what he did and see the actual quote regarding his belief that the evidence indicated a proper study was required - He did not specifically state that there was a proven scientific link between MMR with Autism anywhere in his paper. His paper detailed issues occurring after the vaccine was administered and suggested there was enough evidence to warrant a proper study.

Quoting from the conclusion in the actual paper: "We did not prove an association between measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and the syndrome described. Virological studies are underway that may help to resolve this issue."

Mod: shutting down this discussion. I don't care what your opinion is, DO NOT REPLY. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot let this pass without comment and in now way am I trying to set off another thread about Autism but:

Andrew Wakefield published a paper saying that he felt there was sufficient evidence to warrant a full study into the potential link. At no point did he say his research positively linked the MMR vaccine to Autism, simply that from stories he heard from his patients and other sources the link needed to be properly researched to either confirm or discount the link.

I am sick of people saying he published false findings and he is a fraud. He was only trying to bring proper attention to a POSSIBLE link.

He was a fraud. His science was the WORST possible science there is, flawed in every way. He drew conclusions from TWELVE patients. TWELVE. Not hundreds or thousands like he should have.

There is a reason he was stripped of his medical license.
Research fraud catalyzed the anti-vaccination movement. Let’s not repeat history.

When I was a practicing pediatrician, I had to deal DAILY with the BS that this charlatan created.

I not only blame him, but I blame the Lancet for publishing it. It should have NEVER passed pier review, and that is a stain on them for the rest of time.

Watch the documentary Vaxed where he both explains exactly what and why he wrote what he did and see the actual quote regarding his belief that the evidence indicated a proper study was required - He did not attempt to scientifically link MMR with Autism anywhere in his paper.
Yet he continues to push that false and dangerous narrative, pushing legislation, etc. that doesn't agree with science. Read the paper itself, and read the account I pasted that shows what the parents told him and what he wrote. That 'documentary' has been pulled from a lot of places because it's complete unscientific nonsense.

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.
I wish you and your wife all the best. Take care of yourselves and each other.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
  • Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
everyone talks about the TP buying and hoarding; alcohol (IPA, 70% to 99%) all out of stock; sanitizer, forget it, long gone; masks, same thing, long gone.

but I went to amazon to grab a 'fever thermometer' (oral, under the tongue, that kind of thing) and things are double in price and many are OOS.

if you don't have one, I do suggest having one at home so you can keep track of your temp. they suck, for accuracy, but they are usually precise (huh? yeah). maybe get 2, since quality control and batteries are real iffy on the $10 items like that.

if you can't find 'proper' thermometers, expand your search for 'basal'. you get an extra worthless 1/100th digit, but for some crazy reason these are cheaper than the 1/10th degree reading ones. maybe men are afraid to use 'womens thermometers that are pink' but they work just as good (or as bad) as the white $25 ones ;)

fwiw

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Mr Gump got it.

Attachments

• 14FB7D89-1910-4E8E-9370-67918F67F16D.jpeg
    14FB7D89-1910-4E8E-9370-67918F67F16D.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Yet he continues to push that false and dangerous narrative, pushing legislation, etc. that doesn't agree with science. Read the paper itself, and read the account I pasted that shows what the parents told him and what he wrote. That 'documentary' has been pulled from a lot of places because it's complete unscientific nonsense.
Mod: This post marks the end of any discussion of the proven non-existence of a link between MMR vaccine and Autism. Not relevant to Tesla or Covid-19. Really mean it. Penalties apply. --ggr.

EU travel ban includes cargo.

He specifically said it doesn't include cargo.

"These prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom," Trump added."