Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@S4WRXTTCS - Before it was reported in the media, panic hoarding began here, IIRC, there wasn't even a single C19 case in the area when hoarding started. The panic must be spreading via social media. Perhaps your area has less people on social media? Dunno.

I used to live near Issaquah on 5 acres. The population density was low back then. Perhaps low population density helps.

The population density where I live is pretty much the same as in most modern suburbia area where houses are right next to each other, and there is barely enough yard to own a dog. Google Maps also shows housing developments taking pretty much all the lane around me except some green spaces.

The Safeway nears me does an insane amount of business. I was honestly kind shocked that there wasn't more hoarding. I should have looked a bit silly with the basket in my hand surrounded by hoarders, but I didn't. There were quite a few silly basket people. :)

I won't discuss the Elon tweets or mail any more: if I'm overracting, in a few weeks I'll be here apologizing for my mistake. I'd be happy to.

I'll just leave you a sobering graph, showing how one of the best European health systems fares when things go really south (the red one is Lombardy fatality rate):
casi-di-covid-italia-10032020-jpg.521756

Maybe, just maybe, "one of the best European health systems" ain't so good after all.

It's funny, lots of people here and the liberal side of the media are bashing Trump for every decision he makes (granted the far right side praises everything he does). If he does nothing, his inactivity is going to kill people, if he does something, like stop travel from highly infected European countries (the smart ones with great healthcare systems), he is causing chaos and confusion. The people could care less about those affected by this virus, they just want the political result they have desperately worked for the last 3 years.

Regardless, so far, the hero European countries have a far higher rate if infections and deaths. Maybe American will turn out far worse (according to the haters, we're all dead because Trump is an idiot and screwed this all up), who knows. Like you said, we'll know in a few weeks or month.

Put me on the side of Elon Musk, in 3 or 4 weeks when people aren't dying in droves and those infected recover with little fanfare, Americans will get back to their lives and realize they were bamboozled again by the media.

If I'm wrong, I'll gladly post it. Just like you said.

I won't discuss the Elon tweets or mail any more: if I'm overracting, in a few weeks I'll be here apologizing for my mistake. I'd be happy to.

I'll just leave you a sobering graph, showing how one of the best European health systems fares when things go really south (the red one is Lombardy fatality rate):

Your conclusion is probably right that the Italian health system is overrun and the death rate there is higher, but the data from this graph I strongly disagree with. If the health system is so overrun, there is also less and less testing going on, because who cares about testing all the mild cases that only need a few days rest at home if there are hundreds of people dying.

This 8.1%, and most likely the 3.7% as well, is more of an indication that not enough tests can be administered than of a large % of people with Covid-19 in Italy dying.

@MODS: I'm guessing both the original post and this reply might belong in COVID thread, but I'm simply replying to a post in this thread.

Reactions: flabellina

Just as has been repeatedly posted in the Coronavirus thread, no matter how manny times one posts that graph, it remains not a graph of the mortality rate. The denominator is not "the number of people who have the disease", it's "the number of people who've gotten tested and the test came back positive", which is an entirely different number. Dividing deaths by "people who tested possible" is a meaningless figure.

Well, I just got a message that they maybe cancelling "elective" cases at the University of Utah and Intermountain Medical Center (both Level 1 trauma centers), as well as all the smaller hospitals and surgical centers in the Salt Lake City area. We don't even have any cases of community spread yet. I think the idiots in charge don't understand that this is going to last months, not weeks, and if we start cancelling cases this early, patients who need spine surgery for pain and disability are going to be in trouble. Also, will surgeons like me get "unemployment checks" for the next 4 months?

Well, I just got a message that they maybe cancelling "elective" cases at the University of Utah and Intermountain Medical Center (both Level 1 trauma centers), as well as all the smaller hospitals and surgical centers in the Salt Lake City area. We don't even have any cases of community spread yet. I think the idiots in charge don't understand that this is going to last months, not weeks, and if we start cancelling cases this early, patients who need spine surgery for pain and disability are going to be in trouble. Also, will surgeons like me get "unemployment checks" for the next 4 months?

If the politicians and media staff stopped collecting paychecks to help fight the virus, you'd see a much different response.