Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"No beds, packed morgues: Mumbai hospitals near collapse
"They would just give us medicines and leave," Ravi (not his real name) told AFP. Staff in the 1,300-bed facility were "overworked and tired", he said, with sometimes three patients per bed.

Now he too has contracted the virus and is in another hospital -- but only after four facilities refused to admit him. "We don't have the infrastructure for this disease," he said...

No beds, packed morgues: Mumbai hospitals near collapse

I am concerned for mumbai. Its a rich city, and the combination of wealth and heat means airconditioning and recirculating ventilation. Which in combination with public transport, makes 2 strong covid 19 factors.

• Informative
Reactions: SwTslaGrl
Seasonal flu isn't novel and is literally a different combination of viruses from year to year. What's the point of comparing IFR for a novel coronavirus vs seasonal flu which usually has a semi-effective vaccine?

Yes, I guess not much, unless you want to compare the resulting potential deaths for CV (for some specific level of mitigation), with the actual deaths from flu in the presence of whatever vaccine is present. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something.

Serologic tests showing normal IFR for most of the population except the old and frail are not accepted in this forum. They are all fake.
What's "normal IFR"? As I have posted previously, in NYC the mortality (deaths/population) of the age group 45-64 years is about 91% of the general mortality. Of course that's a bit wide band, so at the lower end it is lower and at the higher end higher. But in summary, this age group has almost the same risk as the general average, which is the one we are usually calculating.

COVID-19: Data - NYC Health

We, riders of the apocalypse only accept 1% IFR or higher, no matter what.
No need for an apocalypse: Just test & trace & masks & no large events etc, as opposed to just wishful thinking and flippancy.

Call State University system goes 100% virtual for fall semester. Why? Unclear.

Because they have a captive audience. We paid full tuition and housing for Zoom classes taught by Luddites. A string between two tin cans is beyond the capacity of most the tenured professors.
They make more money with less staff and still get government COVID money.
And it's political. They are trying to get a 100% mail-in balloting with ballots collected by paid DNC employees.
It's an easy sell when branded as COVID. Shutting down schools is great advertising for the apocalypse. It's hilarious that the colleges in our state saw little to no infections and zero deaths when they closed them indefinitely.

The only thing that might be more useless than our governor is a 2020-2024 diploma from a CalState or UC campus.

We no longer have a toilet paper shortage, we are now told to use the Constitution for that purpose.

Last edited:
Therapeutics company Sorrento has made what it believes could be a breakthrough in potential treatment of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that leads to COVID-19. The company released details of its preclinical research on Friday, announcing that it has found an antibody that provides "100% inhibition of SARS-CoV-2 virus infection of healthy cells after four days incubation." The results are from a preclinical study that still has to undergo peer review. It was an in vitro laboratory study (meaning not in an actual human being), but it's still a promising development as the company continues to work on production of an antibody "cocktail" that could provide protection against SARS-CoV-2 even in case of mutations in the virus.
Sorrento finds a coronavirus antibody that blocks viral infection 100% in preclinical lab experiments

wonder if any would put their 'belief systems' in writing?
Pretty much, although there is no compensation involved. These fools should simply agree that consequences of their actions are their responsibility.

It would however be reasonable to tax them to pay for the societal burden they cause by infecting innocent bystanders.

For those interested in the sordid history of the "Santa Clara Study"
JetBlue Founder David Neeleman Helped Fund The Stanford Coronavirus Antibody Study (ignore the headline, there's much more disturbing stuff than that)
Many people warned the authors about the flaws before they submitted it and started doing TV appearances promoting their findings.

Great catch on this link. People should read this whole thing. It's stunning. I thought that these guys blew up their scientific reputations at the time but I did not know how bad and how corrupted this study was. When they retested antibody samples that had tested positive with the Chinese test that they used in the study with the gold standard Elisa test, just over 50% of them were confirmed by this gold standard. This might be the worst example of political and financial bias engineering essentially a cooked result that I've seen in a long time, since the scandals in psychopharmacology orchestrated by Michael Biederman at Harvard when he produced cooked data sets that showed that toxic neuroleptic drugs were safe and effective in children.

The Whistleblower complaint at Stanford should at the very least get all three of these jackasses a severe reprimand if not losing their positions. It will be very interesting to see the results. The fact that authors not disclose study funding from someone highly motivated to get a specific result, lied about extracurricular contact with the JetBlue executive, the fact that the JetBlue executive specifically sought them out as researchers who had already expressed positions aligned with his own biases and the fact that all of this escaped various efforts by other players to flag down these three idiots before they put a gun to their own heads scientifically speaking is incredibly damning (including the head of the lab tasked with validating the Chinese antibody test who insisted that the test was unreliable and did not want her name associated with the study in any way). It's a great example of how incredibly important it is in science to be on guard against the distorting effects of your own beliefs and assumptions. We are all vulnerable to those biases, and their distorting effects. These three guys were so arrogant and so overconfident that they were willing to take all the brakes off so to speak around various financial, ethical, methodological, and scientific strictures in order to get a result aligned with their own biases.

I have serious questions about whether Stanford should allow them to ever do any research again.

Last edited:
Great catch on this link. People should read this whole thing. It's stunning. I thought that these guys blew up their scientific reputations at the time but I did not know how bad and how corrupted this study was. When they retested antibody samples that had tested positive with the Chinese test that they used in the study with the gold standard Elisa test, just over 50% of them were confirmed by this gold standard. This might be the worst example of political and financial bias engineering essentially a cooked result that I've seen in a long time, since the scandals in psychopharmacology orchestrated by Michael biederman at Harvard. The Whistleblower complaint at Stanford should at the very least get all three of these jackasses a severe reprimand if not losing their positions.

Don't worry, Im sure they can get a job at the White House. /S

As an example, would you say Sweden had a "significant outbreak of covid 19? "
No, Sweden has not had a 'significant outbreak'. Like its neighbors Norway and Finland, Sweden took early countermeasures. Sweden's milder approach allows more deaths, but their actions brought Rt near 1.0 early enough to prevent a large outbreak.

Sweden had virtually no COVID deaths until late March and thanks to a mild flu season was ~1500 below the all causes trendline. Then the tide turned. Sweden averaged 340 deaths/day in April, up 36% from 250/day average rate. That's 10,200 dead in April (so far, some data is still coming in) vs. the 7500 average. Add 300 in late March for 3000 excess deaths during the outbreak (3/20-4/30).

You tend to post stuff without links, so we can't verify anything. My numbers come from the Excel file linked on this page.

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
The widespread refusal to take Vit C more seriously into consideration is not new, and one has to wonder why this is so. The introduction of aspirin to reduce cancer incidence was also hotly fought by the medical authorities* just like any alternative cure besides surgery for heart disease**, hopefully the same will happen for Vit C, without letting all vitamins becoming reclassified as drugs requiring a medical prescription***.

To go back to Vit C, a few doctors have already established a protocol using it that essentially works 100% of the time. To quote from an article in Medium

" ..the highly respected Dr. Joe Varon in Texas is using the protocol and to date, has saved dozens of lives — does not move them to publish. “Did you know that 100% of his patients in the ICU are leaving the hospital and returning home to their families? 100%! He’s had NO deaths. Not one.” Nothing. “And what about the fact that his patients are getting off the ventilator in 48 hours instead of 10–21 days?” Crickets. “And did you know that with this early intervention protocol, patients who would have otherwise progressed to a ventilator in Dr. Varon’s hospital are remaining on the floor without needing to be intubated?” .. "

Well, dear readers here on the Tesla forum - as you already know how difficult it has been to believe in truths that go against the status quo and the usual way of thinking - please do consider, especially IF YOU OR ONE of your friends gets C19 and needs medical care, consider ensuring that their treating physicians are given this proven treatment protocol from the Frontline COVID-19 Critical Care Working Group Frontline COVID-19 Critical Care Working Group.

View attachment 539743

Regarding (*), (**) and (***), these are well known facts, I don't have time to dig out the proper references here, but FM me and I'll be happy to do so if anyone is interested.
Surprised there arent more likes on this. This doesnt sound like an open minded Tesla crowd willing to consider the fact that there is no money in Vit C. Ask any doctor how many classes they had on vitamins (vs heart disease). Its been one forever, but I hv older info on this. Certainly nothing on vit for treatment beyond some scurvy discussion.

They admitted they haven't done a great job of protecting nursing homes, which is a separate matter than lockdown vs no lockdown.
They didn't have strict enough protocols to screen nursing home workers. Seems like this occurred in many countries though.
You can get a good idea from this English language report here. It compares Switzerland and Sweden in some detail. Similar sized populations and similar "lockdown" measures with overall quite different results.
The economic consequences are also different. In both countries you have to consider very large regional differences.
Certainly death rates in Sweden (about twice those in Switzerland) may have to be looked at more closely. They are not purely attributable to different accounting methods.

Which part of the constitution forbids learning from home?

The Constitution does allow you to pay 100% tuition for 10% of the product (assuming hands-on class). Taxes and fees are unlimited at the state level. As we know. Nor are you guaranteed that a "Road Tax" won't be used to fund politician's condo developments.

What it doesn't allow is one party to shut down commerce to suit their political ambitions and rig elections.

Last edited:

Thanks. Excellent article, repeating the same points emphasized here over and over again. To be clear, this method has been known to be the solution since February - it’s a shame we haven’t done it - we could have saved ourselves trillions of dollars - and over 100k lives.

“Following this model, yellow zones would require 2,500 tests for every daily death.”

Was nice to see my favorite metric mentioned. This is definitely the level we need to shoot for - as they say, it works out to 5 million tests per day. Been mentioned many times in this thread.

While we have squandered months already, at least now we can do this and stop repeating the same mistake over and over again (the definition of insanity!) - it will save us a lot of money. I’d recommend allocating four times as much money to the effort ($300 billion), just to be sure it is enough - it’s probably the cheapest insurance we have ever encountered. Any excess can be allocated to surveillance for influenzas, etc. (we could probably eliminate the flu season and save thousands of lives every year through a variety of well funded interventions) and making sure that we have a system that prevents us from ever having this type of problem again.

Last edited:
You folks are quite the risk averse, boring lot. I can't imagine what Lewis and Clark would think, and your ancestors who risked their lives to traverse across an ocean that must have felt like what going to the moon would feel like today (ie good chance you don't even make it). And forged into the dangerous unknown. We still have many problems to face - big, scary problems, in our lifetime, like runaway AI, space colonization, climate change, not to mention finding cures for much worse diseases like cancer. And many other things. And let's hope none of those cold war nukes accidently get into the wrong hands.

And this is what we've become. How the the hell are we supposed to solve big, dangerous, existential problems when we're a bunch of frail, scaredy cats who whimper at a 1% death causing coronavirus?
The disposition I am witnessing in Team-Fear is un-American. We would not even be here had our forefathers been like so. They would be disappointed.
Buck up!

I would be fine with your comment if you just came out and said that you consider it an acceptable cost for at least two million of the US population, who would be mostly older and with existing co morbidities, to die so that the rest of us can get on with the challenges we face on this Earth.

If you feel that is an overestimation of the dead from allowing the COVID to burn through the population at a fast clip, then please state the number that you believe it would be. We will not consider the pediatric population for now, although IMO, there have been alarming developments for that demographic.

Just state that so at least we move on with the conversation and dispense with the flag waving.

I would be fine with your comment if you just came out and said that you consider it an acceptable cost for at least two million of the US population, who would be mostly older and with existing co morbidities, to die so that the rest of us can get on with the challenges we face on this Earth.

If you feel that is an overestimation of the dead from allowing the COVID to burn through the population at a fast clip, then please state the number that you believe it would be. We will not consider the pediatric population for now, although IMO, there have been alarming developments for that demographic.

Just state that so at least we move on with the conversation and dispense with the flag waving.

How many died because NYC let their subway run? Was it worth the cost? Because that's why they peaked so high.