Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that it's a whole two employees. The Washington Post always runs hit pieces and has for years.
Yep, although the article does mention that the employees took it upon themselves to air their complaints about Tesla in the media. I think it is a fair presumption that they were fired for their media actions rather than staying at home without pay.

My guess: they wanted to stay at home and be paid, and they thought that media attention would leverage their demands.

I was initially puzzled by how many people resist wearing masks, and how strident some are about it. But after some reflection, I feel I have a better handle on it.

A "COMMONS" PROBLEM

Wearing masks helps others more than the wearer. Not everyone has to wear a mask, but to make a real difference, you ideally want a large number of people to do it. You have to find and buy a mask, and it's less comfortable than going without. So while it's small, some sacrifice must be made.

This slots neatly in to the "tragedy of the commons" set of problems. The problem would go away if everybody adopted the proper behavior, but given that there is some sacrifice to be made, and many people have to make it, nobody wants to be first. They all want to see everybody else making the sacrifice before they do. We naturally resist behavior change (a pet topic of mine, but I will stop there for now), and only readily make changes for personal benefits. Mask-wearing has a standard bit of resistance that we must overcome.

SOCIAL CONCERNS

There's more. Being social creatures, we are always concerned with our status within our group (and which group we consider "ours" can vary), so the problem and desired behavior cannot be considered in isolation.

People are most likely to adopt the desired behavior to solve a "commons" problem when the sacrifice is small, inexpensive, and the behavior (or purchase) is visible and so they can receive social credit for making the sacrifice. The good news is that this is a great match for the mask-wearing solution. The bad news is that there are other social concerns to consider. These unconscious motivations have an outsized effect on behavior, because (contrary to common assumption) decisions are made in our emotional circuits.

For example, as noted before, social creatures largely default to "fitting in". Everybody largely wants to do what everybody else is largely doing. (Which is why this is not an issue in many Asian countries, where mask-wearing is already common). They are OK hearing about benefits of a behavior or a product from a soft-spoken advocate that seems like them. But if there is somebody different - an activist, an agitator, an extremist - they will avoid the product/behavior to avoid being considered one of those people. This concern is so large that they will readily absorb personal costs to avoid being seen in that category. (One relevant study: (Error - Cookies Turned Off) They will decide not to buy a product that is cheaper or has other personal advantages, or they will pointedly take on what they see as a lesser social stigma (like, being unwilling to wear a mask to help the health of others). (One relevant study: Energy-efficiency attitudes and choices)

A POSSIBLE SOLUTION

While there is obviously individual variation, when trying to affect a mass change in behavior, logic has essentially no effect. (Logic can accelerate behavior change, but is only notably effective after the emotional circuits are already leaning in that direction). Surprisingly, neither does belonging to a social group that "believes" in the solution. Hearing scientists and healthcare experts recommend the solution has an effect...but a very small one. Believing yourself that the behavior is necessary helps more...but surprisingly, that is not the strongest correlation to behavior change. The strongest correlation with behavior change is whether you believe that everybody else will be making the change. (One relevant study: https://psyarxiv.com/kah7s)

This implies that our best path forward is to convince everyone that, soon, everyone will be wearing masks. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because people want to fit in with what others are doing. One good aspect is that people would rather be trendsetters than laggards, so if they believe the change is coming, they will adopt the new behavior now rather than waiting for the rest of the herd to change. Thank goodness for that, so we avoid a chicken-and-egg situation.

MANDATORY OR NOT? UGH, MORE STUFF TO WORRY ABOUT

The next obvious question is how do you convince people that mask-wearing will become widespread? Making it mandatory is one obvious way, but of course comes with other downsides in terms of resistance to behavior change. I haven't put much thought in to that yet so I will leave the question open.

AN OFF-TOPIC LINK BACK TO TESLA AND EVs...OR IS THIS THE ONLY ON-TOPIC BIT?

This discussion completely applies to EV adoption behavior as well.

Last edited:
^^ Very interesting ChadS, and I think your analysis is perfect for young and/or religious people.

Trumpers are a different story -- they are sociopaths, lead by the nose by a highly sociopathic POS who is manipulating them for political gain. They will have to be forced through local mandate and penalties. The Repuke resistance to personal penalties is idiotic but deeply entrenched, whereas enforcement by businesses is, I suspect, more politically palatable. I really cannot be sure though since I find the zombie brain fairly impenetrable.

Heard on KCBS this morning that Texas Gov Abbott in reaction to their surge of cases and to keep more beds available for covid patients has halted elective surgery in I think they said 4 hot spot counties (where Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and ? are located). Don’t think I heard about any further restrictions on the State or counties. Guess he’s hoping he scared people into compliance.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel
Looks like Tesla fired some employees that took Elon up on his offer/option to stay at home without pay:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/06/25/tesla-plant-firings/

I would say it sounds like their employment status is in doubt. One appears to be fine. Though speaking to the media seems like not a great idea I suppose.

Anyway, seems to me that Tesla is one superspreader event away from a public relations debacle (and maybe a death or two if they are unlucky). Hope they are all wearing masks consistently.

Anyone from TX?

My friend who is temporarily living there outside of Houston tells me no one gives one cent. It’s a free-for-all coronafest.

I have family who lives in Dallas in a household that had 3 positives this month. Initially one person in the household tested positive due to symptoms. Then two more a couple of weeks later.

You would think that once the first test came back positive, the rest of the family would self-isolate as a result right? Nope, everybody kept going about their daily business, going to stores, coffee shops, friends. They work from home, so this has nothing to do with livelihood - it's just socializing. According to them: "Texas law used to, but doesn't anymore require people in a household to isolate if only one of them is positive", so they didn't.

Even after the second & third person became symptomatic, and even after taking the tests (but before the results came back), they still kept going out and interacting with other people. Once all the tests came back positive, they finally decided to stop going out, but then went back-and-forth with that doctor to figure out which is the exact hour they can resume normal activities - it it 14 days after symptoms started, 14 days after the test, 14 days after the actual positive result or 14 days after the first carrier turned positive?

One of them had heart surgery recently, so is at high risk. But all of them insisted on just following the very technical bare minimum as allowed by law.

Very frustrating.

Coronavirus cases rise in states with relaxed face mask policies
chart2.png

I have family who lives in Dallas in a household that had 3 positives this month. Initially one person in the household tested positive due to symptoms. Then two more a couple of weeks later.

You would think that once the first test came back positive, the rest of the family would self-isolate as a result right? Nope, everybody kept going about their daily business, going to stores, coffee shops, friends. They work from home, so this has nothing to do with livelihood - it's just socializing. According to them: "Texas law used to, but doesn't anymore require people in a household to isolate if only one of them is positive", so they didn't.

Even after the second & third person became symptomatic, and even after taking the tests (but before the results came back), they still kept going out and interacting with other people. Once all the tests came back positive, they finally decided to stop going out, but then went back-and-forth with that doctor to figure out which is the exact hour they can resume normal activities - it it 14 days after symptoms started, 14 days after the test, 14 days after the actual positive result or 14 days after the first carrier turned positive?

One of them had heart surgery recently, so is at high risk. But all of them insisted on just following the very technical bare minimum as allowed by law.

Very frustrating.

Yaaaaa... You can't fix stupid. It's really a shame reading these stories. The entire country has to be on board not just certian states otherwise it will never work. Very heartening as there are folks out of work self isolating and to read about others going about their day with Zero F's given.

Reactions: byeLT4 and jerry33
Many posts. Must be some good dope you are smoking. Coronavirus

Nice job with that post DanCar. One semi-fact focused post, although a bit oversimplified (as the immune system has a janus-faced character of being both your best friend and your worst enemy in severe inflammatory/'infection defense' states, such that inhibition of it can be life saving) to go with the 273 disagree votes for posts critical of the Orange Moron, the stable genius/mastermind behind the virtual disappearance of COIVD-19 in the USA. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
That should give them a few more days before collapse. Strong work, Abbott !

I know! I'm thinking he's afraid of a revolt in his state if he does more. I don't think people grasp the economic hit to their city, state and to themselves as to what this is going to end up costing them. When you talk $s people tend to listen more when brought down to that level. "Freedom" comes at a cost. Nothing is free.

So many more people are going to have to pay the ultimate cost of their health (expectation that many compromised organs won't improve) and some their lives, not to mention the disruption to their family's lives and ecomonic health when a breadwinner or stay-at-home parent raising the kids is gone forever. No doubt some will lose their homes over this and not because a sick parent is furloughed or loses their job now, but because that person is no longer able healthwise or simply not there (deceased) to ever work again to provide for the family.

Last edited:
I seriously have trouble some days coming here and reading some of what is going on in our country over this mask wearing. I have sometimes wondered during this if our country was ever attacked by another nation, if the "maskless" would be the first to surrender because fighting would be simply too hard to do. Clearly wearing a mask is not difficult, the threat to public health is real and they are jeopardizing everyone and weakening our country to make another point. Yesterday we just shook our heads over listening to this video (CNN): Florida coronavirus mask rule upsets Palm Beach, Florida, residents - CNN Video This was some of the public reaction when Palm Beach County passed a mandatory mask policy.

What my husband noticed recently while grocery shopping in our "required mask" area is that there are people doning a mask but leaving their nose uncovered or hanging it strapped to their ears but hanging below their chin. Now he's even seen a few masks with horizontal zippers over the mouth that are left open exposing airway to the open air so no coverage. Of course there are the masks that have breathing vents to send your breath out into the air. All being done so they can say they are complying by "wearing" a mask I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABCTG
is there any other country that has politicized mask wearing? I'm not aware of any. to everyone else world-wide, its a health issue and nothing more than that.

such a damned shame that our 'leadership' screwed the pooch so badly on this. and his followers are known for doubling-down on their derp (as the kids say, today) and so expecting them to change their views is just not gonna happen. family members could die in front of them and they'd still believe the party line.

damned shame. we all pay for this, too.

Texas' Abbott:
"If we were to experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, that would mean we're in an urgent situation where tougher actions will be required to make sure that we do contain the spread of Covid-19," Abbott said at a press conference Monday

Abbott "thinks" he has a month, and that the hospital system can handle another doubling. He can rewrite his July 4rth speech right now

Texas' Abbott:

Abbott "thinks" he has a month, and that the hospital system can handle another doubling. He can rewrite his July 4rth speech right now
If only "he has a month left in office" were true, but I guess to be a successful politician you have to think only of yourself and how you can profit at the expense of others.