Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The agricultural regions are having bad outbreaks because these are crops that require a fair amount of labor to pick and process (unlike most grains that can be machine harvested and processed), the farm workers can't social distance very well especially in the processing plants. The living conditions provided for the workers cram them together and there is not much will on the part of the farm owners nor the government to spend any money to make things any better for them.

During my walk-about, I picked tree fruit and lived in a migrant worker camp in Washington. I also worked in a fruit packing plant (pears) in Mendocino county in CA. The migrant worker camp was relatively isolated but we lived/camped relatively closely. Locals did not live in the camp.

The packing plant was different in that the locals were involved. They saw it as a family tradition of working a few weeks a year making some extra money packing fruit.

On one hand the plant would be easier to deploy masks but there is also a greater chance of cross exposure Into the larger community IMO.

During my walk-about, I picked tree fruit and lived in a migrant worker camp in Washington. I also worked in a fruit packing plant (pears) in Mendocino county in CA. The migrant worker camp was relatively isolated but we lived/camped relatively closely. Locals did not live in the camp.

The packing plant was different in that the locals were involved. They saw it as a family tradition of working a few weeks a year making some extra money packing fruit.

On one hand the plant would be easier to deploy masks but there is also a greater chance of cross exposure Into the larger community IMO.

I haven't worked in agriculture, but I have been around it some. I have a lot of respect for those who do that kind of work day in and day out. Picking my own fruit can be too much sometimes. There have been years the deer have eaten well...

Migrant workers do come in contact with locals here and there. Migrant workers will stop for gas coming and going from town. They also will stop by markets to pick up food and they often will send money back to their families in their old country. Those are all situations where people in the community can get exposed. These communities also have people who live in the local area, but come in contact with the workers in the field or in the packing house.

I also suspect that if you dig deeply into the nature of the cases county by county, you will find a lot of people at or near the bottom of the economic ladder getting sick in most counties. In the ag areas probably a lot of them are the migrants and there is nothing to stop it ripping through the entire camp once it gets a toehold.

Here is an article from a month ago on who is getting sick in Yakima, WA
How Yakima County Became The West Coast's COVID-19 Hot Spot

Here is an article from a month ago on who is getting sick in Yakima, WA
How Yakima County Became The West Coast's COVID-19 Hot Spot

Thanks for the article. I actually picked apples and pears in the Yakima Valley (Beautiful). There are agricultural workers and there are migrant workers. These are similar but slightly different IMO. I was there for about a month. I knew no one. I camped or slept in shelters provided by the grower. The entertainment was stories around a fire in the evening. I was exhausted, nursing blisters and could hardly lift my arms up at the end of the day. I think I went to a bar briefly once but again very tired so not much interaction with locals.

Separate from the group of migrant workers were the full time farm workers who stayed year-round. This group, similar to the packing house workers, are living in the area whereas I was moving through.

I arrived, was assigned a farm by the county employment office (I think), filed for food stamps, worked for 3 weeks in the fields living in migratory worker shelters, worked another 7 days or so picking pears and living with the farm family. Nice folks, probably could have stayed on but that was not in my plans.

Working in the fields there is no lunch room. In the fields, you are just trying to keep up with the tractor that is moving the bins. It is more solitary work in that way. Working in the fruit packing house is closer, there is a lunch room (of sorts) etc and I can see how it would be necessary to work hard at preventing transmission. The article addresses these efforts.

The other thing is that these agricultural facilities are often not continuous operation. Crops come in and then there is a pause. Labor finds its own next gig. I can see this as problematic for transmission. OTOH, it is a place to sample and test to see how we are doing or not doing.

Thanks for the article. I actually picked apples and pears in the Yakima Valley (Beautiful). There are agricultural workers and there are migrant workers. These are similar but slightly different IMO. I was there for about a month. I knew no one. I camped or slept in shelters provided by the grower. The entertainment was stories around a fire in the evening. I was exhausted, nursing blisters and could hardly lift my arms up at the end of the day. I think I went to a bar briefly once but again very tired so not much interaction with locals.

Separate from the group of migrant workers were the full time farm workers who stayed year-round. This group, similar to the packing house workers, are living in the area whereas I was moving through.

I arrived, was assigned a farm by the county employment office (I think), filed for food stamps, worked for 3 weeks in the fields living in migratory worker shelters, worked another 7 days or so picking pears and living with the farm family. Nice folks, probably could have stayed on but that was not in my plans.

Working in the fields there is no lunch room. In the fields, you are just trying to keep up with the tractor that is moving the bins. It is more solitary work in that way. Working in the fruit packing house is closer, there is a lunch room (of sorts) etc and I can see how it would be necessary to work hard at preventing transmission. The article addresses these efforts.

The other thing is that these agricultural facilities are often not continuous operation. Crops come in and then there is a pause. Labor finds its own next gig. I can see this as problematic for transmission. OTOH, it is a place to sample and test to see how we are doing or not doing.
It's the same in Monterey. The outbreak is hottest among ag workers i(strawberries, lettuce, grapes, artichokes, etc) in the Salinas Valley. Drive by the fields and you do not see any masks. A local yahoo newspaper in Carmel has been crowing about "their" problem not being "our" problem from the very beginning, and how "we lucky few" should be able to open our restaurants (forgetting about who cooks the food and cleans the dishes), our art galleries, construction sites (who do they think is doing the building???) and real estate offices. Here's a short sample:

"As has been happening with the virus almost since it arrived in the county, most of today's new cases were in Salinas and the Salinas Valley, which had 118. The Peninsula and Big Sur had eight new cases, and today for the first time the health department announced a number for Big Sir (zip code 93920), which has experienced a total of five cases. We have no idea when they happened, but we now have a count for that area. And that leaves just three lucky Monterey Peninsula zip codes — Carmel-by-the-Sea (93921), Carmel Valley (93924) and Pebble Beach (93953) — that have had fewer than five cases. In other parts of the Monterey Peninsula, Carmel area (93923) gained one case today and has 10, Marina added none and totals 68, Monterey gained a single case to reach 48, Pacific Grove added two for a total of 19, and Seaside had 5 for a total of 186."

Robin

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC
  • Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G

I've gotten apples and some pears every fall for decades. I stock up in October and eat them through February. When I lived in Seattle I'd make a trek to Wenatchee and Leavenworth. Since moving to the Portland area we go over to the Hood River Valley in Oregon. I got to know some of the farmers and have done some picking of my own fruit. I've also seen the seasonal guys around.

Most of the larger farms have some full time health who, from their accents, may have started out as seasonal workers and settled down. My sister is a petroleum Geologist in Bakersfield, but has horses (13 at her max, she was trying to breed the perfect trail horse) and has had acreage for years. She has a couple of immigrant handymen she calls on for maintenance and helping out with things. One lives part time in a trailer on her property. I think both of them started out as migrant farm workers.

My partner's father was born in Mexico and fled to the US in the 1930s due to conflict at home. He was fortunate to be one of the haves in Mexico and got an education better than most Americans at the time. But in the US he had to do a lot of farm labor. He eventually ended up doing the books on a sheep ranch because both his math and his written English was better than anyone else there including the white folk.

I also grew up on the border of East LA and knew some Hispanics who's families had come here to work in agriculture. Some had families histories on this side of the border that went back to before the US was a country.

Our county doesn't have much agriculture anymore, but apparently there is at least one fruit packing house. We had to delay opening up for a few weeks in cherry season because the owner of a fruit packing house only did the recommended measures poorly and a number of people got sick.

It's the same in Monterey. The outbreak is hottest among ag workers i(strawberries, lettuce, grapes, artichokes, etc) in the Salinas Valley. Drive by the fields and you do not see any masks. A local yahoo newspaper in Carmel has been crowing about "their" problem not being "our" problem from the very beginning, and how "we lucky few" should be able to open our restaurants (forgetting about who cooks the food and cleans the dishes), our art galleries, construction sites (who do they think is doing the building???) and real estate offices. Here's a short sample:

"As has been happening with the virus almost since it arrived in the county, most of today's new cases were in Salinas and the Salinas Valley, which had 118. The Peninsula and Big Sur had eight new cases, and today for the first time the health department announced a number for Big Sir (zip code 93920), which has experienced a total of five cases. We have no idea when they happened, but we now have a count for that area. And that leaves just three lucky Monterey Peninsula zip codes — Carmel-by-the-Sea (93921), Carmel Valley (93924) and Pebble Beach (93953) — that have had fewer than five cases. In other parts of the Monterey Peninsula, Carmel area (93923) gained one case today and has 10, Marina added none and totals 68, Monterey gained a single case to reach 48, Pacific Grove added two for a total of 19, and Seaside had 5 for a total of 186."

Robin

An attitude has sprung up in some circles that this disease affects "them" and not "us", so why should we worry about it? I suspect that is the dog whistle behind at least some of the anti-mask debate. People aren't willing to come right out and be that openly racist, but an attitude that "good" white folk don't get sick while black and brown people they don't care about means they should be able to do what they want.

Some Southern governors are beginning to take the outbreak seriously in their states because younger white folk are beginning to get sick in large numbers. When it was just seniors and non-white people it was easy to play down the virus.

There was a short story by Edgar Allan Poe called The Masque of the Red Death that I had to read in school. It was about a plague, much like the Black Death that was ravaging the land. A group of wealthy try to hide out the plague in an isolated castle, but in the end it gets them too. I've been thinking about that story the last few months.

It's online in its entirety here
The Masque of the Red Death - Poe's Works | Edgar Allan Poe Museum

Apparently there is a pro-COVID movement in New Zealand. This is definitely not something I would have predicted...
They're holding a "COVID-19 Science and Policy Symposium" with some of my favorite people :eek:. Presumably it will be virtual.
Here's an interview with Professor Gupta: We may already have herd immunity - an interview with Professor Sunetra Gupta - Reaction
We are basically following their plan here in the US and I can't say I'm a fan. I'll be even more surprised if New Zealand decides to follow us.
COVID-19 Science and Policy Symposium
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.06.10 PM.png

The orange moron was in North Carolina today visiting Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies plant that is manufacturing a potential vaccine.
Diosynth, a contract manufacturer for vaccines and gene therapies, is working with Maryland-based Novavax, which recently won a $1.6 billion federal contract to develop a vaccine. Diosynth has already started production of the first batch of Novavax's NVX-CoV2373 vaccine candidate.

Company executives walked Trump through the facility, explained their manufacturing process and gave him a chance to talk with some of the employees involved, Chief Executive Martin Meeson said.

The optimism was apparent on all fronts. Meeson declared 'Diosynth plans to make "tens and tens of millions of doses per month" as soon as the vaccine gets U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval."

The Moron-in-Chief was so fired up after touring the plant that he proudly proclaimed:

"We will achieve victory over the virus by unleashing America's scientific genius,"

I can only assume he was referring to the same American scientific genius that he has totally ignored since March.

Apparently there is a pro-COVID movement in New Zealand. This is definitely not something I would have predicted...
They're holding a "COVID-19 Science and Policy Symposium" with some of my favorite people :eek:. Presumably it will be virtual.
Here's an interview with Professor Gupta: We may already have herd immunity - an interview with Professor Sunetra Gupta - Reaction
We are basically following their plan here in the US and I can't say I'm a fan. I'll be even more surprised if New Zealand decides to follow us.
View attachment 569696
They got Bhattacharya but not Ionnadis. I guess half a nut is better than none.
It seems like everything is going well with coronavirus. Sports are coming back, people are getting back to work, and soon kids will be headed back to school. All is well.
You can't spell Triumph without Trump!
"We will achieve victory over the virus by unleashing America's scientific genius,"

I can only assume he was referring to the same American scientific genius that he has totally ignored since March.
I assumed he meant unleashing himself.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and Dr. J
View attachment 569696

Anyone see this? Sounds like she has a lot of experience treating COVID patients but hard to know what’s really a conspiracy and what’s not these days with so much misinformation (I think we all should be hopefully more aware of how mass FUD works from following TSLA over the years as well)

https://twitter.com/stella_immanuel/status/1287897564231143425?s=21

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Anyone see this? Sounds like she has a lot of experience treating COVID patients but hard to know what’s really a conspiracy and what’s not these days with so much misinformation (I think we all should be hopefully more aware of how mass FUD works from following TSLA over the years as well)

Tweet no longer available. Is it about Hydroxychloroquine?
This whole thing with HCQ is ridiculous. People get so obsessed with politics in the United States they ignore that it has also been tried in countries around the world and doesn't appear to work there either.
The medical profession has managed to bring down the fatality rate with other treatments so I trust that they know what they're doing.

Tweet no longer available. Is it about Hydroxychloroquine?
This whole thing with HCQ is ridiculous. People get so obsessed with politics in the United States they ignore that it has also been tried in countries around the world and doesn't appear to work there either.
The medical profession has managed to bring down the fatality rate with other treatments so I trust that they know what they're doing.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube remove viral video of doctors making false coronavirus claims | KTLA
Title: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube remove viral video of doctors making false coronavirus claims
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 / 09:43 PM PDT / Updated: Jul 27, 2020 / 09:43 PM PDT
A video featuring a group of doctors making false and dubious claims related to the coronavirus was removed by Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube after going viral online Monday.

The video, published by the right-wing media outlet Breitbart News, featured a group of people wearing white lab coats calling themselves “America’s Frontline Doctors” staging a press conference in front of the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC.

President Trump shared multiple versions of the video with his 84 million Twitter followers Monday night despite the dubious claims running counter to his administration’s own public health experts. Spokespersons for the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

During the press conference, a speaker who identifies herself as a doctor makes a number of dubious claims, including that “you don’t need masks” to prevent spread of the coronavirus, and that recent studies showing hydroxychloroquine is ineffective for the treatment of Covid-19 are “fake science” sponsored by “fake pharma companies.”

“This virus has a cure, it’s called hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and Zithromax,” the woman claims. “You don’t need masks, there is a cure.”
<snip>

Article 2:
Hydroxychloroquine is trending again. It's still no cure for COVID-19
Social media lights up with viral videos touting hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus cure. It's not.
Hydroxychloroquine is trending again. It's still no cure for COVID-19
Hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug used to treat autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis for decades, is not a cure for COVID-19. A swath of studies, some less than a week old and published in prestigious scientific journal Nature, have demonstrated the drug does not have substantial antiviral activity. And as more data rolls in from human clinical trials, hydroxychloroquine keeps coming up short. Very short. It doesn't protect against COVID-19 and it doesn't cure it, either.

So why is it back in the news again?

It appears it's trending largely because of a series of viral videos published by right wing publication Breitbart are being widely-shared across social media, particularly on Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited: