Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
therein lies a major difference,

start at 8 minutes 39

the challenge
to see the virus, to close it down and not the economy
to isolate the virus, not the population

it takes
decision, and courage and science

Last edited:
I'm the type that gets over a flu quickly. A severe flu for me is a couple of days of severe discomfort sleeping 12-18 hours per day and then getting over it faster than the average person. If the shot works it'll be less than 24 hours for me to get over it, if not it might take me a day or two longer.

Like the worst flu I've had in the past 4 decades has never had me "down" with severe symptoms for more than 3 days in a row.

So if it lasts more than 2 days I know it didn't sync up with the flu shot. If I have something that lasts for more than 3 or 4 days I know it isn't the flu.

I can't say the same for others in my family, I'm always the one with the shortest bout.

edit: I'd like to point out during a bout like that a day feels like forever. 1 day vs 2 vs 3 vs 4 is a world of difference if you are wondering if it is going to be life threatening. that's why I used the "Is this Flu or is it Covid?" wording.

Remember, the influenza vaccine lessens the severity and chance of spread for only influenza infections. It does nothing for the common cold.

Every every year an adult contracts 2-3 common cold infections. As Influenza is not a reportable illness, the exact incidence is unknown, but much less likely.

I have this conversation everyday in the exam room, you might have a superior constitution, or you might have only experienced the common cold. But even if you have super immune system protecting yourself, you might want to have that vaccination to reduce the chance of spreading influenza to your loved ones.

Interesting news today out of University of Pittsburgh's School of Medicine. Saw this news story on AppleNews but here's the direct link to FoxNews where it appeared.

University of Pittsburgh scientists discover antibody that 'neutralizes' virus that causes coronavirus

Some months back I saw a live news story I think on KCBS news about work at the Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and think this might be related to the work they were doing then. Recall the video had an interview with a researcher there. I may have even posted a link back when it aired or mentioned it. I do seem to recall they were working on a different approach and were very optimistic about the research going on there.

Found my older post.
Coronavirus

More from today in the news:
The University of Pittsburgh's Pittwire news discussing today's press release, also mentions the bandaid needle delivery system:

Pitt Scientists Discover Tiny Antibody Component That is Highly Effective in Preventing and Treating SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Animal Models

"University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists have isolated the smallest biological molecule to date that completely and specifically neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which is the cause of COVID-19. This antibody component, which is 10 times smaller than a full-sized antibody, has been used to construct a drug—known as Ab8—for potential use as a therapeutic and prophylactic against SARS-CoV-2.

The researchers report today in the journal Cell that Ab8 is highly effective in preventing and treating SARS-CoV-2 infection in mice and hamsters. Its tiny size not only increases its potential for diffusion in tissues to better neutralize the virus, but also makes it possible to administer the drug by alternative routes, including inhalation. Importantly, it does not bind to human cells—a good sign that it won’t have negative side-effects in people....."

At the end of the Pittwire article it says there will be live stream tomorrow.
To learn more about this research, watch a livestream on Sept. 15 at 2 p.m. ET.

Last edited:
The most testing you could practically do is everyone with symptoms and everyone with even the most remote contact with know cases. After that you'd have to start testing a significant percentage of the population randomly for any improvement. I'm surprised you even found that many people to test with only 3 cases per day!
My county of 3.3M is averaging about 260 cases and 8000 tests a day. Here is the zip code where San Diego State University is:
View attachment 588319
Looks like the reopening is going well, they're certainly living up to their reputation as a party school!

Nice. That looks like 9x the rate in the rest of the county, since September 1st. Party like it's 2019.

Looks to me like there might be slight upticks in cases in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado in the last couple days (they got snowed on a week ago so this should be interesting to keep an eye on). I was wrong about calling a bottom about a week ago, though! It looks like things tailed off even more last week. COVID was over I guess! Currently a bit more of a resurgence. We'll see what happens!

Also Utah got some of the cold too, I think. They really look like they're getting ramped up for winter! Guess I won't be doing any skiing in Park City or visiting the Red Iguana this winter! Excellent positivity rate for them too (12%?). Very promising.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel

Now we're up to 7
Coronavirus death toll from Maine wedding rises to 7, with over 175 infected
"None of the seven people who have died attended the wedding or the reception.
But among those who did attend the event was an employee of the York County Jail, where 72 cases have been linked to the gathering, health officials have said.
Maine health officials have also said the wedding and reception are tied to the virus' spread at a Madison rehabilitation center."

And, from your link above about the pastor hiring a lawyer:
"Videos posted online of the church’s services have shown that Bell has continued to hold in-person services."

Going for the high score...

So the newest potential solution to sports may be to just get everyone infected and then they can all play. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Orgeron: Most LSU players have had, recovered from COVID-19 | WTOP

It really does look like this is a working strategy! Just have to keep separation from the older coaching staff & the rest of the faculty, I guess. I guess Orgeron is not concerned about himself? It sounds like this count of players who have had it is based on positive PCRs, though it doesn't explicitly say so.

I'm not sure how well this strategy will translate nationwide, though.

It's in keeping with Trump's pronouncement today that coronavirus is going to go away due to "herd mentality."

Regarding longer term health of the players...I do think that the emphasis on "long COVID" is probably overblown. There's a distinct lack of statistics (what % of people have such a syndrome?), or at least I haven't seen them. And the myocarditis complication is probably fairly rare too...anyone have any solid stats on those complications? Still, sucks if you're one of the ones who has long-term complications! I just wonder what proportion of people that is...and how common it is specifically amongst the young.

That being said, it's still dumb to only focus on deaths - there are clearly going to be a lot of people (in absolute terms) who recover from COVID that have long-term (possibly lifelong) damage. Even if it's a relatively small percentage, it will be a lot of people.

But I am curious about the percentages. As far as I know we have no idea.

I asked my dentist what they were doing, and besides the usual wipedowns and not letting people in until it was time for their appointment, they also have put some kind of disinfectant mist in the HVAC system.

My dentist had many protocols in place; they wore two masks and a face shield, fresh gloves and gown, fully wiped down the chair with disinfectant, of course clean and sterilized tools, I had to answer a questionnaire, sanitize my hands, wear a mask except during the cleaning, had to rinse with a special mouthwash before they started cleaning that was supposed to be good at killing the virus, had a special attachment on the sucker thing that was to increase the ability to suck particles (less airborne spray), no ‘power tools’ — so no water laser cleaner thingy, all done the old fashion by hand cleaning method, no xrays, no polishing.

Seriously, less than zero chance of catching anything in that office. I felt very safe.

Reactions: Yuri_G and jerry33
The most testing you could practically do is everyone with symptoms and everyone with even the most remote contact with know cases. After that you'd have to start testing a significant percentage of the population randomly for any improvement. I'm surprised you even found that many people to test with only 3 cases per day!

Not sure how you mean this, since it sounds untypical for you.

In any case, after known cases and their contacts, you can continue testing not randomly but with people who come in contact with many other people: health care professionals, airport personnel, restaurant waiters, first responders, bus drivers, security personnel at Trump rallys, and so on.

Reactions: bhzmark
Finally know someone who had CV19. Our friend, who co-manages a small retail place with my wife, got it a few weeks ago. We go out with her and family at least once a week but, as fate would have it, we didn't see them for a week or so before she came down with symptoms. We had dinner out with her last night and I had a chance to get more details. She's a healthy woman in her 50s.

One night she woke up at 2am with a dry cough. It wouldn't go away no matter what she tried and she never able to get back to sleep. Later on she had a low fever, around 100. She got a drive-through test and it was positive so they isolated themselves. The dry cough turned into a more productive cough after a couple of days. She didn't feel "bad" until she tried to do stuff then it felt like there was an elephant sitting on her chest. That was the symptom that lasted the longest. Even over a week later, when she walked her dog, she couldn't make it back to her house because of the pain/pressure in her chest. I think she still has stamina issues but it's much better now.

One odd thing is that the "CDC" called everyone involved (her family and workplace) to verify details, isolation, etc.

What's interesting to me is that our friend's symptoms reminded me of our daughter's battle with the Swine Flu back in 2008 or 9. Our daughter caught it but the symptoms were mild, like a cold and low fever. She got better then a week later the lung issues surfaced and she was hospitalized for pneumonia. Two rounds of nasty Rocephin shots cleared that up.

Not sure how you mean this, since it sounds untypical for you.

In any case, after known cases and their contacts, you can continue testing not randomly but with people who come in contact with many other people: health care professionals, airport personnel, restaurant waiters, first responders, bus drivers, security personnel at Trump rallys, and so on.
In NSW they've got 3 cases a day out of 8000 tests in a population of 8 million. It just seems extremely unlikely that they would find any cases by random testing. I guess I'm thinking the benefit would not be worth the inconvenience to all the people you'd be testing and of course the cost to the government.

In NSW they've got 3 cases a day out of 8000 tests in a population of 8 million. It just seems extremely unlikely that they would find any cases by random testing. I guess I'm thinking the benefit would not be worth the inconvenience to all the people you'd be testing and of course the cost to the government.

The whole country of Australia was down to < 20 cases a day for a long time, and then it went up to 500/day again. Similar stories in South Korea and Germany, for example, even if to a lesser degree.

So the question is not "How much testing do you need for 3 cases/day?",
but "How much testing (and mask-wearing etc) do you need to prevent a new outbreak as long as there is no vaccine?".

The second number is much higher, and not directly related to how many cases/day there currently are.

The whole country of Australia was down to < 20 cases a day for a long time, and then it went up to 500/day again. Similar stories in South Korea and Germany, for example, even if to a lesser degree.

So the question is not "How much testing do you need for 3 cases/day?",
but "How much testing (and mask-wearing etc) do you need to prevent a new outbreak as long as there is no vaccine?".

The second number is much higher, and not directly related to how many cases/day there currently are.

I agree. Surveillance is very important (once the disease burden is low enough - and possibly even before that if you're a large enough country and you actually want to effectively get rid of the disease - there is a lot of heterogeneity of disease distribution, so lower prevalence areas need to be surveilled, so you don't end up in a horrible game of whack-a-mole).

So the newest potential solution to sports may be to just get everyone infected and then they can all play. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Orgeron: Most LSU players have had, recovered from COVID-19 | WTOP
They had an outbreak in June with 25% of the team quarantined. And I'd interpret Coach O's "most" to mean "a lot". He's a (very good) football coach, not a statistician.

Coaches and other older staff should be fine as long as they mostly interact with players outdoors, test frequenty and wear masks indoors.

Reactions: cusetownusa
re; NSW whack a mole
upload_2020-9-17_8-26-44.png

yesterday, (most recent as of typing) 4 local cases and 6 quarantine (overseas) cases
~20 000 tests

once traveler quarantine cases match local cases, what becomes a better option than whack a mole?
the virus is not gone, but its not really present either.
upload_2020-9-17_8-31-29.png

overseas acquired cases seem to be trending up, and for as long as Australia keeps repatriating locals back from overseas, that probably unavoidable.