Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't give a darn about the rate, I care about the total.
Both matter. Flu kills 30-50k in an average US year. Ebola has only killed a few people here ever. But we monitor Ebola very carefully and enact strong countermeasures when outbreaks occur elsewhere because its high CFR means it could kill millions.

Delta CFR was about 1.3% in the US, vs. 0.1-0.25% for flu (e.g. 52k flu deaths vs. 19m medical visits in 2017-18). Earlier Covid strains were in the same ballpark, though early data is spotty due to test shortages. High CFR justifies countermeasures to save lives and prevent hospital collapse. Omicron CFR looks to be 0.3-0.4%. Still higher than flu, but getting close enough to relax restrictions. Especially since Paxlovid is ramping and people can easily protect against severe outcomes with vaccines.

The numbers are distorted because of how different countries report. Millions died in India from Delta but that isn't shown in the graphs. India's Pandemic Death Toll Estimated At About 4 Million: 10 Times The Official Count
Similar for US:
US cases levels are down to what we were seeing in late July:

View attachment 771976

1645483009702.png

Sorry about the paywall...but here are the studies:

No real surprises here! Once again..COVID is nothing like the flu. Hopefully we don't see major antigenic drift over the coming years which actually creates immune escape. So far, we haven't seen any significant true immune escape (meaning dodging all lines of defense) from SARS-CoV-2, which is very fortunate. The boosted vaccine remains extremely robust.

Certainly against the existing set of viral variants, it doesn't seem that there is any huge need for further boosting, except for those who need every level of protection (frail and elderly).

In addition they are using the war on terror law to take hacked donor data from givesendgo and freeze bank accounts of citizens that donated to the trucker protest.

This appears to be false. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
But is this the last wave? That is the $64 million (inflation adjusted) question. Hopefully Omicron is just a highly contagious, endemic and not much more lethal version of the flu from now on. Any guesses on when we will know that?

The second Omicron variant is out in the wild and it might be more dangerous than Omicron 1 and it may not. I've seen evidence that points both ways.

Viruses that cause pandemics have in the past either mutated themselves out of existence or mutated themselves into more virulent, but less dangerous strains. The virus wants to survive, so being less lethal gives it a better chance at survival since people infected will be more likely to be out in public with it.

Though before vaccines we did have some pretty nasty viruses that were endemic like small pox, measles, etc. This virus family tree have also proven capable of leaving a person with long term problems (long COVID). It could mutate into a virus that is highly contagious, doesn't kill short term, but can kill a person over a period of many years, or leave them permanently disabled. If a variant came along that created much more long COVID, it could be a serious problem until we figure out how to kill it off.

We have all lived in a tiny slice of human history where infectious diseases were mostly just a nuisance rather than a serious threat to everyone. Non-infectious disease started over taking infectious disease as the biggest killers around 1900, first in the US and Britain, but was almost world-wide by the time COVID came along.

The 1918 flu pandemic left a mark, but not as significant as COVID probably will because most people around then were familiar with infectious diseases that kill. It was just a bigger outbreak of the sort of thing they had seen before.

Chances are that it will most likely mutate into something that is more or less a nuisance, but that isn't guaranteed. Imagine having to live in a world with measles and a vaccine that is not essentially 100% effective, with the constant chance it will mutate again and get worse.

Reactions: msm859
BA.2 - more than "doubling" weekly it seems.
4 weeks ago: 0.4%
3 weeks ago: 0.7% [0.8% would be prev week double]
2 weeks ago: 1.6% [1.4% would be prev week double]
1 weeks ago: 3.9% [3.2% would be prev week double]

NQyUaPI.jpg
Oddly they retroactively changed 2/12/22 to 2.0% [was 3.9% - see above]
and the latest for 2/19/22 is 3.8%.

IKgr8zK.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
It looks like this is just based on titers, however. Would be good to see data on severe disease protection (cell-mediated) - especially in the younger population. I expect older folks to need boosters, simply because as a whole, they need all the protection they can get, even if their cell-mediated immunity is still quite good.

Seemed like a really solid take on the new CDC (mask) guidance.

Seemed like a really solid take on the new CDC (mask) guidance.
A nice graphic summary. Thanks for posting.

1646016469635.png

1646016507456.png

Thank goodness someone wrote this up for me, saved me like 2h of typing today.

Basically - it's a $hit paper, and their own data doesn't support their own conclusions.

Furthermore, making conclusions from immortalized cell lines (which are basically "cancer" cell lines) is a huge no no in the molecular biology world.

Last edited: