Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It means very little other than the nature of our own human dysfunction. We have as a society become cavalier, careless, thrown disruptive caution overboard, four sheets slaughtered by the wind, we have become sick of all of this and are becoming sick from all of this.

This is currently the first significant viral season we have seen since covid raised its indomitable little fuzzy head. Those covid years were just that, covid. People died, constantly, consistently, and without season. In those years we saw very little to no influenza, croup, rsv, and blah blah blah all the many many other sessional viruses we don't for practical reasons even bother to test for. This year we are virally overrun, covid just one of the equal-opportunity players. And it is just the beginning of the season.

Constantly, all day long in emergency, 2-month-olds to 100+ year-olds, variable viral symptoms, more upper respiratory than other, a high percent testing positive for influenza, covid, rsv, because that's what we are testing for. But doesn't really matter, no real treatment for any of the viruses, stomp on the symptoms and do that in-house if you need a bigfoot. Point is, this is the first bad other viral season since covid came to town. That said, we on the front line would take this over the covid years in a heartbeat, and thank the gods we still have one.

Speculation as to how and why covid has been currently tamed and the reemergence with a vengeance of the classic viral seasons is mostly meaningless. Clearly, masks, immunizations, isolation, and transmission precautions are the big ones. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a straight-up fool. History will call their delicate little asses out for a showing. Debates among the amateurs, the imposter professionals, those with personal gains, and those idle and intellectually impoverished, are only a sideshow, step right up, the bearded lady wants a hug. The fat lady is never going to sing.

So reality is the real loser, a persistent undertone of anxiety and uncertainty in our patients, a conspiracy of covid, influenza, and rsv joining forces to conquer the world, in collusion with the Russians and Chinese no doubt, financed by the pharmaceutical cartels, controlled and fine-tuned via the covid chips, all orchestrated no doubt by Musk. Musk who will ride it all out on Mars........
Deluded and inaccurate.

• Disagree
Reactions: CatB
What does this have to do with answering my question? I asked for the results of an experiment!

Feynman is rolling over in his grave, and shaking his head sadly.
Everything is an experiment. Always was. Always will be. The laws of physics don’t turn on and off just for experimentation.

Feynman is not on your side.

Here have 170 papers on the subject.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Future generations will study this post as not only a rich source of deeply entwined logical fallacies but for a fundamental understanding of the pathology at the heart of mankind and society itself. The human brain is just big enough to get us into trouble.

It's very much like if the Vogons abandoned their natural poetic talents and ventured off into philosophy and, dare we say, science.

I don’t see anywhere where masks have worked.

I guess we agree on that.
We agree on nothing.

These studies found that school districts without a universal masking policy in place were more likely to have COVID-19 outbreaks. Nationwide, counties without masking requirements saw the number of pediatric COVID-19 cases increase nearly twice as quickly during this same period.

Schools that required students and staff to wear masks saw significantly less coronavirus spread than those that did not, a pair of brand-new studies reveal.

Related to my prev post on XBB.1.5: Coronavirus

Supposedly XBB.1.5 (dark blue; XBB light purple) is being broken out (or added?) tomorrow and chart "retroactively" being updated.

12/24/2022
uGpNiET.jpg

12/31/2022
64ZBabq.jpg

EFG is just not credible at this point.

We’ll see what happens with XBB1.5 (I tend to think it might cause a little bump remaining under 100k per day), but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

We will see. I could be wrong of course and often am.

EFG is just not credible at this point.
We’ll see what happens with XBB1.5 (I tend to think it might cause a little bump remaining under 100k per day), but even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
We will see. I could be wrong of course and often am.
I think you missed my point tho. It was about him having a contact and seeing what the COVID Data Tracker site would show in the future (days). He has been correct on that twice recently so he has a solid source. I wasn't meaning to imply any overly doom predictions at all in my post. I was just giving the source tweet for others to explore. For many things he gives his sources. HTH

There are various sources on XBB.1.5 and its characteristics. If it spreads faster (and easier {evasive and attaches differently/easier}) then it can affect more unvaccinated or types of folks (autoimmune, etc).

There are various sources on XBB.1.5 and its characteristics.
Yes, I am waiting for the thread from Trevor Bedford, but he will likely not do detailed analysis/predictions until we have some decent amount of spread.

It does have high initial R so we will see. A bit of a bump but a massive wave would only happen with large immune evasion.

It’s sad that Trevor’s plots showing constant COVID and the accompanying conditions required for that seem to be the way we are headed.

I’m still holding out hope for “like a miracle, it will disappear.” That was some cogent analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and PACEMD
In the interest of fairness and objectivity, I should share this non-covid-related study. It helps to understand many of our inherent biases.......

TUSCALOOSA, AL—Confirming decades of speculation concerning the potentially disruptive effects of runaway literacy, scientists at the University Of Alabama published a study Tuesday establishing a definite and potentially dangerous link between the practice of book learnin’ and increased back talk. “According to our data, processing information from these highfalutin’ books has a direct correlation to getting a little too big for your britches and turning into a real sass-back,” said professor and co-author Jedediah Lee Lutz, noting that participants who gleaned moon-eyed ideas from reading were much more likely to get notions way above their raising. “There appears to be a clear connection between book learnin’ and acting like you plum don’t got no horse sense.” Lutz recommended that concerned authority and parental figures simply smack them book talkin’s right out the offending party’s fancy little mouths.

We agree on nothing.

Whoops, wasn't statistically significant, but the Centre for Data Corruption are too corrupt to notice.

Then someone goes and expands the study:

"Our study replicates a highly cited CDC study showing a negative association between school mask mandates and pediatric SARS-CoV-2 cases. We then extend the study using a larger sample of districts and a longer time interval, employing almost six times as much data as the original study."

"Our study demonstrates that observational studies of interventions with small to moderate effect sizes are prone to bias caused by selection and omitted variables. Randomized studies can more reliably inform public health policy."

What else you got?

What else you got?
These preprints are early stage research papers that have not been peer-reviewed. The findings should not be used for clinical or public health decision making and should not be presented to a lay audience without highlighting that they are preliminary and have not been peer-reviewed.