Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective Steering Applied For Your Safety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. So when slid to Off, it goes back to Assist? Maybe it's not being set in the driving profile.

You can do whatever you like with that one and it'll stick, it's the "Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance" toggle that causes this havoc.

The slider is for:
"You're drifting out of your lane, nothing super bad is happening but we'll nudge you back in"

The toggle is for:
"You're drifting out of your lane and we think you're going to die"

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Mine was doing this with gay abandon yesterday when I went out for a country drive.

It's less startling on an empty road than when it tries to mow down a cyclist or pedestrian that you're trying to give a bit of room!

This is a feature I tried to turn off early in ownership only to discover that they keep turning it on again for your own good.

I've had the feature go off a few times since the software update where it wouldn't have had before. As you say - It's definitely alarming to have the car suddenly go crazy when I drifted a couple feet left int he lane to give extra room to a cyclist.

Reactions: TestPilot
I have been seeing this very often since the recent firmware update, on the same stretch of pavement. Every time I drive it, it does this. The pavement is crap, it's very uneven. The surface is concrete but they've added multiple "fixes" of asphalt... all they do is make sure your tires don't crater into a big enough hole to mess with your rims.

This is in DFW, Legacy Dr, North bound, from the 121 exit, near Foard dr.

Reactions: jsmay311
The smugness of some responses is so unnecessary, but if we're doing this then: If you'd actually tried to do what you suggest you would know that this feature enables itself on every drive cycle, time to actually learn about your car before you give people incorrect advice on the internet.

Not nice is it. Stop being an arse.

My comments were never meant as smugness first off assuming you meant me. I’m sorry that’s how you read the words and interpreted them. If you are talking about reading the manual then, well as even evidenced by a poll once done on TMC the vast majority of people said they hadn’t read their manual for the car and a large percent admitted to only reading sections of it. Given the car is a complicated computerized system and could be a heavy “weapon” on the road, it’s important that every driver understands the car’s settings and how it will respond.

A read of the Tesla online update of 5/2/19 posted by someone at the time of this discussion ( More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners) stated that both features can be turned on or off. Back then the Emergency Lane Departure just required it to be done before setting out to drive but it could be turned off if someone really wanted it off. You said you gave up turning it off early on if I read your post correctly. The current manual (1/27/20 — Pages 108-109) states both features if available on your car can be turned on or off. Nothing about doing it each time you drive. The Lane Departure Avoidance setting (Off/Warning/Assist) “is retained until you manually change it”.

Helpful if people read the manual more often and stay current with software changes.

Last edited:
My comments were never meant as smugness first off assuming you meant me. I’m sorry that’s how you read the words and interpreted them. If you are talking about reading the manual then, well as even evidenced by a poll once done on TMC the vast majority of people said they hadn’t read their manual for the car and a large percent admitted to only reading sections of it. Given the car is a complicated computerized system and could be a heavy “weapon” on the road, it’s important that every driver understands the car’s settings and how it will respond.

A read of the Tesla online update of 5/2/19 posted by someone at the time of this discussion ( More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners
) states that both features can be turned on or off. The Emergency Lane Departure just requires it to be done before setting out to drive but it can be turned off if someone really wants it off. The current manual (1/27/20 — Pages 108-109) states both features if available on your car can be turned on or off. The Lane Departure Avoidance setting (Off/Warning/Assist) “is retained until you manually change it”.

Helpful if people read the manual more often and stay current with software changes.
It was aimed at you yes, it's the "Not a car/Tesla problem" attitude that grinds my gears. It is possible that Tesla have a feature with poor user experience, and in my opinion this is one of them. I'd go further and say it's dangerous, but that's because it tried to kill someone for me once.

I do agree that people should read the manual, and stay up-to-date on software updates and changes, but the fact that the feature in question enables itself for every drive essentially means you can't practically turn it off to suit your preference as suggested.
Who is going to remember to do that for EVERY journey? You'll only remember *after* it's done something like this. So now, I have to remember that very occasionally my car might try and kill someone, and I have to be ready for it.

*edit*
For some reason I'm not able to upload images at the moment, but I can confirm that it's the same on 2020.8.1.

Last edited:
FDE86A07-231B-4276-BDA2-D611DEDD57F3.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
It was aimed at you yes, it's the "Not a car/Tesla problem" attitude that grinds my gears. It is possible that Tesla have a feature with poor user experience, and in my opinion this is one of them. I'd go further and say it's dangerous, but that's because it tried to kill someone for me once.

I do agree that people should read the manual, and stay up-to-date on software updates and changes, but the fact that the feature in question enables itself for every drive essentially means you can't practically turn it off to suit your preference as suggested.
Who is going to remember to do that for EVERY journey? You'll only remember *after* it's done something like this. So now, I have to remember that very occasionally my car might try and kill someone, and I have to be ready for it.

*edit*
For some reason I'm not able to upload images at the moment, but I can confirm that it's the same on 2020.8.1.

Well my car is on 2020.8.1 and I just came back from coffee and disabled the Emergency Lane Departure before heading out. Got this message to confirm turning it off. Yes same as yours. Did you Disable it if that’s what you wanted to do?

1087AA17-88D1-41C8-BA41-E971584BC2BA.jpeg

I drove after disabling my ELD and before leaving the car checked the settings to see it was still off. It was. I exited the car, saw it shut off and when I got back in checked the setting. Still off, so yes you can turn it off and stay off. I then drove home and before shutting done went back into settings and turned the feature on as I think it’s useful. The car indicated with the Saved and green check mark at the top of the screen it had been reenabled.

So from my experience the advice given is correct. You can turn it on and off, your choice, and have it remembered in the settings.

• Disagree
Reactions: TestPilot
I drove after disabling my ELD and before leaving the car checked the settings to see it was still off. It was. I exited the car, saw it shut off and when I got back in checked the setting. Still off, so yes you can turn it off and stay off. I then drove home and before shutting done went back into settings and turned the feature on as I think it’s useful. The car indicated with the Saved and green check mark at the top of the screen it had been reenabled.

You're in the US.

He's in Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's why you can disable it permanently and he can't.

Well my car is on 2020.8.1 and I just came back from coffee and disabled the Emergency Lane Departure before heading out. Got this message to confirm turning it off. Yes same as yours. Did you Disable it if that’s what you wanted to do?

View attachment 525569

So from my experience the advice given is correct. You can turn it on and off, your choice, and have it remembered in the settings.
The message is different. READ IT YOU PLUM!!!

Reactions: Msjulie

View attachment 525569

Don't assume others are stupid or at fault, don't assume Tesla are perfect, and don't assume that you know better than everyone else. Please, just stop.

"Not a car/Tesla problem, this is a driver problem" is *not true* is it?

You're in the US.

He's in Europe.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's why you can disable it permanently and he can't.

My phone doesn't show user location info when I'm viewing the site (it's abbreviated) so given this is a US forum website it wasn't something I was aware of as to the posters; and what I posted was absolutely true for the U.S. Some people are civil about conversations and others aren't.

Reactions: JimmyAZ
My phone doesn't show user location info when I'm viewing the site so given this was a US website it wasn't something I was aware of as to the posters and what I posted was absolutely true for the U.S. Some people are civil about conversations and others aren't.

That's the whole point, it's the snarky attitude based on not having all the facts. It's not a driver issue as you said in your first post.

My phone doesn't show user location info when I'm viewing the site (it's abbreviated) so given this is a US forum website it wasn't something I was aware of as to the posters; and what I posted was absolutely true for the U.S. Some people are civil about conversations and others aren't.
Look, I’m sorry for getting worked up about it, but this automatic “Well you must be doing something wrong mustn’t you!” attitude pervades the internet and it really p*sses me off.