Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective Steering Applied For Your Safety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 2 weeks my M3 SR+ has been displaying the message 'Corrective steering applied for your safety' when driving the same country lane I do twice a day to and from work. Its a fairly open road with raised banks either side and the car now thinks I am about to drive straight into them. As well as displaying this message the car beeps loudly and puts in slight steering input. I am in control, Tesla fix this please!!!

Tesla.png

It’s just a glitch, as you are aware.
As autosteer improves, this will go away.

The Tesla autopilot Team is not likely getting your request to fix this location from your forum post here. ...

If everyone posted their autosteer glitches here, we would have a lot of threads, that still wouldn’t fix the problem.

They will get to it on future updates.
First world problems. Be patient. :)

For the last 2 weeks my M3 SR+ has been displaying the message 'Corrective steering applied for your safety' when driving the same country lane I do twice a day to and from work. Its a fairly open road with raised banks either side and the car now thinks I am about to drive straight into them. As well as displaying this message the car beeps loudly and puts in slight steering input. I am in control, Tesla fix this please!!!

jpfive reply starts here: (Sorry)

I experience the same thing on Meridian Road in Tallahassee. It is a scenic old trace with overhanging oaks, no shoulders and high banks. I don't use cruise any more while on it. Actually find it more enjoyable to enjoy the road while being in control.

On the same subject, I am working on recognizing situations that might prove confusing to the AP and pro-actively disengaging it when I recognize them. Construction projects, temporary lane markings with old markings still visible, temporary speed limit reductions, the presence of emergency vehicles, etc. I also give it a rest if stuck in merge lanes at Interstate interchanges. It doesn't distract from enjoying the car - just makes me feel more engaged.

View attachment 524965

Last edited:
It’s just a glitch, as you are aware.
As autosteer improves, this will go away.

The Tesla autopilot Team is not likely getting your request to fix this location from your forum post here. ...

If everyone posted their autosteer glitches here, we would have a lot of threads, that still wouldn’t fix the problem.

They will get to it on future updates.
First world problems. Be patient. :)

This is not autosteer, and has nothing to do with autopilot.

That's emergency lane departure avoidance, which is now a standard safety feature.

You can turn it off.

More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners

This is not autosteer, and has nothing to do with autopilot.

That's emergency lane departure avoidance, which is now a standard safety feature.

You can turn it off.

More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners

Not a car/Tesla issue but driver issue. @Knightshade is correct. Time to read the manual and understand the safety features your car has and then set them to your driving comfort level.

FWIW I have experienced this on a small two-lane road I frequent sometimes and when not using AP just to reiterate it’s not an AP issue at all. The settings are under AP on your display but as safety features are available all the time regardless whether you are using TACC or Autosteer.

DF215856-9F15-40D2-9980-E94A08ACD20F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I don't care for typical lane departure/centering, but I do want emergency corrective steering so I keep it on assist

Similarly does the forward collision warning have anything to do with AEB (i have it on late) ?

I have had lane departure save me a few times. Not saying I would have been in an accident but definitively off the surface.
The false alarm warning for "Corrective Steering applied" happens to me occasionally on single lane roads, but not enough to make want to do without it. To each their own, that why they make options to turn it off.

Reactions: PianoAl
FWIW OP, I see what you're seeing.

I have had lane departure warning set forever. I had only seen it once in the past, and it was completely warranted when I swerved and left the road to avoid a major pothole on a country road.

Recently however it's reporting it on my regular commute. My car has become a more nervous passenger without doubt.

Reactions: superblast
Yea, I've experienced this as well since my car updated to 2020.8.2. Every once in a while I would see this, but now, I can't drive on roads with only center lines w/o getting bumped by the assist multiple times. What I've noticed is the representation of the right edge of the lane seems very close, making the lane basically the width of the car. Yea I could turn it off, but its a safety feature that I'd prefer keep on.

I played a bit this morning, and if I move to the right of the lane, I was able to get the warning to go off for a solid 5 seconds.

Reactions: strykeroz
Not a car/Tesla issue but driver issue. @Knightshade is correct. Time to read the manual and understand the safety features your car has and then set them to your driving comfort level.

FWIW I have experienced this on a small two-lane road I frequent sometimes and when not using AP just to reiterate it’s not an AP issue at all. The settings are under AP on your display but as safety features are available all the time regardless whether you are using TACC or Autosteer.

View attachment 525138
The smugness of some responses is so unnecessary, but if we're doing this then: If you'd actually tried to do what you suggest you would know that this feature enables itself on every drive cycle, time to actually learn about your car before you give people incorrect advice on the internet.

Not nice is it. Stop being an arse.

View attachment 524965
Mine was doing this with gay abandon yesterday when I went out for a country drive.

It's less startling on an empty road than when it tries to mow down a cyclist or pedestrian that you're trying to give a bit of room!

This is a feature I tried to turn off early in ownership only to discover that they keep turning it on again for your own good.

Mine was doing this with gay abandon yesterday when I went out for a country drive.

It's less startling on an empty road than when it tries to mow down a cyclist or pedestrian that you're trying to give a bit of room!

This is a feature I tried to turn off early in ownership only to discover that they keep turning it on again for your own good.
Interesting. So when slid to Off, it goes back to Assist? Maybe it's not being set in the driving profile.