Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of 50 amp circuit and Nema 14-50 Plug installation in SFBay area (Oakland)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Los Angeles, California
$4,250 ouch?

1) Upgrade 100AMP panel with no free space to 200Amp. City will switch house to 209AMP.
2) Install outdoor 14-60 outlet with weatherproof cover which can close when outlet is occupied.
3) Run new 60Amp circuit about 25 feet to the outlet.
Got three estimates, all within $4K.this included reapplying stucco.

One fellow was $2,750 but said I’d need to hire my own stucco person to fill in these holes after new panel was put in.

Last edited:
I got a referral from a family friend to an electrician. He just came out and quoted $300 for the short run and $700 for the long run. Not sure if he's quoting these prices due to the relationship or he's just not gouging for EV chargers. Anyway, I happily accepted his $700 quote for the long run. I'll happily refer anyone in the bay area with his contact info. He's based out of Napa so I'm not sure if he'll travel to the south bay.
Did you get the work completed? How did it go? I'm interested in your referral and how things went.

Los Angeles, California
$4,250 ouch?

1) Upgrade 100AMP panel with no free space to 200Amp. City will switch house to 209AMP.
2) Install outdoor 14-60 outlet with weatherproof cover which can close when outlet is occupied.
I've gotten 2 quotes so far in San Jose, CA, for upgrading my 100 amp service to 200. First quote is $4,000 (believe it is all inclusive) and second came in at $5,000 (not including cost of new sub-panel).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Well damn, apparently 1st quote also doesn't include replacing the sub-panel.
I double checked my $4K quotes. None included stucco. The electrician I chose to use said he doesn’t anticipate stucco work needed which I find odd since exterior is all stucco and said he had a guy if it was needed …I assume at extra cost. I saw on Reddit that this can cost around $300-$600 for panel areas.

Reactions: ink124
I double checked my $4K quotes. None included stucco. The electrician I chose to use said he doesn’t anticipate stucco work needed which I find odd since exterior is all stucco and said he had a guy if it was needed …I assume at extra cost. I saw on Reddit that this can cost around $300-$600 for panel areas.
Prices are getting too steep for me lol. My first quote would add another $1650 to upgrade the sub and conduit. Though I asked another electrician for a budget friendly way to do this and he quoted $700 to upgrade my 100 amp service to 125 amp and add the EV charge outlet. That $700 quote is looking really nice right now.

What the heck?! Tesla doesn't even sell a 14-60 plug. What did you get to plug into that? And the mobile charging cable that can plug into outlets can only pass 32A anyway, so a 60A circuit outlet is pretty strange overkill and less useful than a normal 40 or 50A circuit.

What the heck?! Tesla doesn't even sell a 14-60 plug. What did you get to plug into that? And the mobile charging cable that can plug into outlets can only pass 32A anyway, so a 60A circuit outlet is pretty strange overkill and less useful than a normal 40 or 50A circuit.
I got a 48amp OpenEVSE brand plug-in (not hardwired) unit so I can charge up as fast as possible at home. 48Amp continuous load requires 60amp circuit. The plug on the OpenEVSE is a bit modified (an uneeded pin is removed) so it can plug in to other lower amp outlets too. I tested it as a nearby hotel which allows EV’s to use their 32 amp outlets. The EVSE can be set to limit max amp output and tesla car can be set to expect less too. I also like the flexibility of the software platform since I’m a software developer. The platform will allow me to integrate the EVSE in to other systems that I write or existing open source initiatives such as open energy monitor.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was thinking of installing an separate outlet for the charger. But a splitter for the dryer outlet should work too. Question which splitter brand are you going to be using?
I was going down that same path but would need a service upgrade in order to add a 50 amp outlet. That alone, was out of budget for me. I have a NeoCharge splitter on order and if you order direct, they'll discount your order by $79 if you sign up for text and emails.