Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of 50 amp circuit and Nema 14-50 Plug installation in SFBay area (Oakland)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You aren't paying for materials at Home Depot though, you're paying for them at your house, at the time they are needed. It's also worth mentioning that there are probably a ton of other smaller parts and pieces required that aren't itemized. I'm also not clear on why electricians are obligated to charge only a "modest fee" while providing a valuable service (which requires licensing and ongoing liability) for owners of luxury vehicles? If I was a business coach for electricians I would say it's not your job to make rich people richer. If you've got training, expertise and availability that is in demand, you should charge what the market will bear. If you don't think that's appropriate, maybe you should invite the electrician to determine much money you should be making.
I fundamentally don't disagree with your point. I agree you should charge what the market will bear. As a consultant I didn't get paid for my work product, I got paid to mitigate risk and provide a desired business outcome. Typically 10x my cost in revenue. In this case I don't perceive the value to be 10x the cost. I'd happily pay half of what they are quoting. I don't have to like the fact that installing a dryer outlet costs one quarter for the same labour and minor material cost differences. You need a circuit, 6 or 8 gauge wire, conduit, junctions, screws, an outlet box and an outlet. I'd happily source those materials and pay $200/hour for installation. Also $600+ for permits and inspection is just plain price gauging.

Problem with my installation is that it’s pretty obvious it’s for an EV, there is no chance I would want to put a dryer at where my car is in the garage, I know people with W/D in garages, but my garage is shared and has 5 cars and it’s really obvious what I’ll need a 240V NEMA outlet for lol.

To get your guys an idea, here’s the breakdown from one of the electricians, I’ve actually hired him for a few minor projects in the past and his price was very reasonable.

Labor: $950
Includes - Installing 1” EMT from house panel to wall next to column by parking spot new 4 11/16” junction box
- Pull 3 #6 and 1 #8 ground between the two
- Install new NEMA 14-50 receptacle in JB
- Install new 50A/240V breaker in house panel

Material: $950
160’ - 1” EMT with fittings/straps
165’ - 3 x #6 THHN & 1 x #8 THHN
1 - 4 11/16” junction box
1 - 50A/240V circuit breaker
1 - NEMA 14-50 receptacle with plate
Misc screws and fittings

And here’s another quote:

49851199-125C-4B61-AAFA-148056DDBA66.jpeg

Last edited:
I fundamentally don't disagree with your point. I agree you should charge what the market will bear. As a consultant I didn't get paid for my work product, I got paid to mitigate risk and provide a desired business outcome. Typically 10x my cost in revenue. In this case I don't perceive the value to be 10x the cost. I'd happily pay half of what they are quoting. I don't have to like the fact that installing a dryer outlet costs one quarter for the same labour and minor material cost differences. You need a circuit, 6 or 8 gauge wire, conduit, junctions, screws, an outlet box and an outlet. I'd happily source those materials and pay $200/hour for installation. Also $600+ for permits and inspection is just plain price gauging.

Your deep insight into what is needed, the service value and ease of installation has a simple answer: do it yourself
If you feel the need to mitigate the risk of doing something stupid and burning down the neighborhood, expect to pay for the risk reduction, not for the hardware.

As for the permit, nothing should stop you from standing in line yourself.

I had a 50 amp circuit breaker installed, about 50 feet of wire, and the nema 14-50 outlet in the garage. The total cost was about $800 with a licensed electrician. (I had other work done, too, and I don't recall the breakdown exactly.) They did a fine job. I got two estimates in my area, and both were about the same.

This is incredible! I don't see how an electrician can ask someone for $300/ hour with a straight face!

Here in the Canada, I payed around $225 (US dollars) to get a 14-50 installed, parts and labor. This was for a conduit running from one side of the garage to the other, around 20 ft. I went on Craigslist and found a qualified electrician who charges $50/hour.

The reason people are charging such ridiculous prices in your area is because they keep getting away with it.

Reactions: WADan and kishkaru
This is incredible! I don't see how an electrician can ask someone for $300/ hour with a straight face!

Here in the Canada, I payed around $225 (US dollars) to get a 14-50 installed, parts and labor. This was for a conduit running from one side of the garage to the other, around 20 ft. I went on Craigslist and found a qualified electrician who charges $50/hour.

The reason people are charging such ridiculous prices in your area is because they keep getting away with it.
There's this thing called "cost of living". A tradesman who has to live in those kinds of insanely, outrageously expensive areas cannot charge only $50 per hour and survive.

The market will bear different prices in different places. The bay area in California has one of the highest costs of living in the country. If you think $300 for an electrician is a lot, you should see how much a 3/2 1,500 sqft house costs compared to Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar and Rocky_H
The market will bear different prices in different places. The bay area in California has one of the highest costs of living in the country. If you think $300 for an electrician is a lot, you should see how much a 3/2 1,500 sqft house costs compared to Canada.
But doesn't that go both ways? The homeowner has to pay so much money for mortgage payments. I live in the Vancouver area, which has an insane housing market, and in my neighbourhood houses are selling between 1.3 and 1.5 million dollars (7 years ago these same houses were $600,000).

I understand higher cost-of-living, but paying $1800 US for a 14-50 is ridiculous!

If I had to pay that much, I would watch enough YouTube videos to learn how to do it myself and then have an electrician come and check it out and do the final connection to the breaker panel, turn on the breaker, and ensure it's considered safe.

But doesn't that go both ways? The homeowner has to pay so much money for mortgage payments. I live in the Vancouver area, which has an insane housing market, and in my neighbourhood houses are selling between 1.3 and 1.5 million dollars (7 years ago these same houses were $600,000).

I understand higher cost-of-living, but paying $1800 US for a 14-50 is ridiculous!

If I had to pay that much, I would watch enough YouTube videos to learn how to do it myself and then have an electrician come and check it out and do the final connection to the breaker panel, turn on the breaker, and ensure it's considered safe.

I agree. I watched youtube and did the work myself. Total cost was about $250 including the wire (6/3 20 feet), top rated industrial outlet, GFCI breaker, conduit, inspection. It’s not that hard, and if you watch youtube you can do it safely (just turn off the breaker to the panel).

Reactions: Hexo09
I got a referral from a family friend to an electrician. He just came out and quoted $300 for the short run and $700 for the long run. Not sure if he's quoting these prices due to the relationship or he's just not gouging for EV chargers. Anyway, I happily accepted his $700 quote for the long run. I'll happily refer anyone in the bay area with his contact info. He's based out of Napa so I'm not sure if he'll travel to the south bay.

Last edited:
So many variables in "just add a NEMA 14-50 outlet"

I'm a general contractor with electricians on my payroll and my partner has 30 years of rough and finish electrical experience.

The problem with a bid structure is that the contractor has to cover himself for the unknown and unseen. Bids are usually not in the best interest of the customer because the contractor will buy cheaper materials and cut corners to increase his margins.

We have been around long enough that our clients are happy with paying us time and materials (plus 10% contractor fee and 10% overhead)

There's a difference between the cheap $10 NEMA 14-50 receptacle you can buy at Home Depot and the type we use from an electrical supply store.

link to a quality 14-50 - these do not wear out or burn up like the Home Depot units.

In some cases you may have a surface mounted subpanel with where you'd like the outlet and with $70 worth of Home Depot materials and an hour of time it can be done. It's not the norm but I can see in a perfect world the job costing about $200.

The scenario with the disconnect at the meter panel, EMT run of 30' doesn't seem out of line and the line items are very transparent.

In my own garage I have a sub panel with (2) Gen 2 wall connectors inside set up with load sharing and (2) Gen 3 wall connectors outside. Also added a 14-50 in the front and rear of the garage and one on the outside. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that invoice :)

Reactions: _ayn
I recently installed a nema 14-50 outlet with the help of YouTube and this forum. I learned a lot about wire and conduit lol. I'm guilty of not using a gfci breaker because my plan is to upgrade to the Tesla wall connector in the near future which doesn't require a gfci breaker. Overall I'm very happy with the results.

Attachments

• PXL_20210515_010200544.jpg
    PXL_20210515_010200544.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: _ayn and kishkaru
I am an electrician by trade, if anyone needs an outlet installed I would be happy to help out, and yes you can buy materials for me to install.

I do not have a contractors license but I do have california state certification currently on file, and I currently work as a union electrician..

I am a Tesla owner (soon) and would not price gouge a level 2 installation. its just a 40A outlet install or whatever...

feel free to contact me and ask.

I got a referral from a family friend to an electrician. He just came out and quoted $300 for the short run and $700 for the long run. Not sure if he's quoting these prices due to the relationship or he's just not gouging for EV chargers. Anyway, I happily accepted his $700 quote for the long run. I'll happily refer anyone in the bay area with his contact info. He's based out of Napa so I'm not sure if he'll travel to the south bay.
I am in the similar situation in South Bay. I could use your referral and would be willing to see if it works for me.
Would you be willing to share the contact of your electrician please.
Thanks.

How did you job went?

I am in similar situation in South Bay. I would be happy to talk to your electrician and see if he would be willing to help me if you can share his contact please.

I suggest call around different places. I have 100A main panel with a sub panel 25 ft away. The plan is run a 50A breaker and cables from the subpanel back to the wall behind the main panel for the Tesla charger.

EVcharge4U (Tesla Approved) is quoting $1300 for the work to be done.

I scheduled mine with Brent @ Lights Out Online 415.806.9608. If you want to get a quote from him, tell him Willy from the medical center refers you to him. I chose Lights Out Inc because I worked with him and his team In the past. His price is competitive to EVcharge4U too.

Good luck!
I just took a look at the California contractors board... the contractor you’ve chosen didn’t show up as licensed... That may be the reason of a lower price.

Get plenty-o-fire insurance prior to your quest...

I've been receiving estimates to have a 50 amp circuit and nema 14-50 plug installed in my garage. The service panel is just outside the garage so they would just have to drill a hole in the wall and install the plug on the other side. The second option is to run some conduit to the other side of the garage so the plug would be 3 feet from the charge port. Using the Tesla recommended vendors I'm getting estimates of $1800 or so to do this. This price seems super high.

Does anyone have a more reasonably priced electrician they would recommend to do this in Oakland CA?

Thanks!
I was quoted 2100 for mine lol. But my service panel is in the basement and it's far away.