Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could not cancel NAV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Today I was at a friend's house in an unfamiliar part of town. I set Nav to Home to get me back to the highway. Once there I tried to cancel the navigation so I wouldn't have to listen to the nav lady giving me directions I didn't need. The CANCEL button was greyed out and I could not cancel it.

Not a really big deal, but I'd be interested if anybody knows what was going on.

M3 RWD HW 2.5. Firmware version 2020.48.12.1, which is the most recent version offered to me. I'm not on any early-adopter plan. I just install each new version when the app notifies me that it's available.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

You can reset while driving. It's a little eerie, but you can still drive.

Okay. I'm not sure I'd have the courage for that. Not when the only reason for wanting to cancel NAV is so I don't have to listen to the directions that I no longer need.

If I really had to cancel in order to program in a new destination I'd find a safe place to park first. Even with EAP, which I pretty much always use while on the highway, I don't take my attention away from the road.

You shouldn't have to do the reset, but when something weird happens with the software, especially after getting a new build, a reset is usually a good idea.

There is the simple reset which can be done while driving: press and hold both scroller buttons until the screen goes black, then release them. The screen will come back in a minute or so, but you obviously don't have a speed display until the screen comes back.

There's a more serious reset which has to be down while parked. Same as before, except also hold down the brake pedal.

Then there's another routine reset, where you park the car and walk away from it, far enough for it to lock, and then stay away for about 5 minutes. This allows the car to go into a deep sleep, so you have to disable Sentry mode.

There is the simple reset which can be done while driving: press and hold both scroller buttons until the screen goes black, then release them. The screen will come back in a minute or so, but you obviously don't have a speed display until the screen comes back.

There's a more serious reset which has to be down while parked. Same as before, except also hold down the brake pedal.
These two are actually the same thing, they don't achieve different results. They're both just the same MCU reset. Many years ago the "hold the brake pedal" one did something different, but they've eliminated that thing. You occasionally still hear people suggest that they're different things, but that's just hold over from years ago.

I haven't heard of your "walk away for 5 minutes" one - it takes considerably longer for the car to go into sleep mode than 5 minutes. I don't think this will accomplish anything. Although letting the car sleep overnight does tend to cure some problems.

The other reboot I use, and that is routinely suggested by tesla as the other reboot, is to sit in the drivers seat, with the doors closed, and power off the car in the safety and security menu. Then stay sitting in the car without touching anything to wake it up, and wait until you see and hear everything shutting down, and then wait for the last little bits of noise the car makes, typically the coolant system burping. This takes 3-5 minutes. Then you can restart the car by pressing on the brakes.

I think my car goes into deep sleep overnight because the app takes a long time to wake up the car, and because when I press the button on the charger to unplug it it sometimes takes up to half a minute or so to respond. I can't remember where, but I read that there's a screen reboot automatically when the car goes int deep sleep.

I don't drive every day but I will have to drive today. I'll try to remember to see if the problem remains or has cleared up.

I don't drive every day but I will have to drive today. I'll try to remember to see if the problem remains or has cleared up.

Changed my mind about going to the farmer's market today. Decided I have enough veggies to last until Monday. I might have to drive tomorrow. Depends on where we decide to launch the canoe from. If Sugar beach, I don't have to drive. I can walk there. If Makena Landing, I have to drive. If it's too windy everywhere I'll stay home.

It doesnt. It just goes to sleep, like your laptop computer.

Thanks.