Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could not connect to home Wifi (Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range Access Point)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X seems to work for a period with a very strong signal Ubiquiti (UAP-AC-PRO). However, their appears to be disconnect issues with 5Ghz (maybe 2.4Ghz) that Ubiquiti forum has many folks chiming in on they are trying to solve related to all Apple notebook/desktop systems in OSX & Windows --- Tesla's WiFi software stack might have the same non-standard driver quirks as Apple gear which might help explain why it is flaky unlike most all other WiFi enabled devices.

Not really good news, but some possible hope if Tesla & Apple have related driver problems that some home gateways handle perfectly fine yet various others (including enterprise gear like Ubiquiti, Aruba, Cisco, etc.) may not. Will update as more develops.

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC Pro covering my house. I thought I had decent signal in my garage, my openers connect to it. My Model X is connected to it, but shows only one tiny little dot at the bottom of the signal meter. So I may have to get a separate access point for the garage. Kinda weird. It says the signal is low, but I can stream music and browse the web and all that in my garage just fine so maybe I do have enough signal. LTE signal is non-existent in my garage so none of that stuff works if I disconnect from the WiFi. ...Not that I just sit in my car in the garage.

Our Model X connected automatically to a new UAP-AC-PRO running the very latest 3.4.18 (I think?) firmware and seems to work -- however, AP had to be close and signal very strong. There is a long running, serious issue with Apple products dropping off of Ubiquiti gear (and although not Apple, some of the WiFi characteristics seem to ring true with the Tesla vehicles gear) ... there is an active thread with a Ubiquiti engineer who so far has been very active updating Beta firmware releases trying to solve the problem once and for all to varying degrees of success.

Intermittent connectivity loss with UAP-AC-PRO - Page 40 - Ubiquiti Networks Community

I was unable to connect to either my UniFi APs nor my ASUS RT-AC66U. As it turns out, the problem was with the IP of my router. I had it set to 192.168.20.1. Tesla must use this IP in the car somewhere as it would always refuse to accept an IP from that router. Changing my router IP to 192.168.30.1 allowed me to connect from both the UniFi APs and the ASUS.

I was unable to connect to either my UniFi APs nor my ASUS RT-AC66U. As it turns out, the problem was with the IP of my router. I had it set to 192.168.20.1. Tesla must use this IP in the car somewhere as it would always refuse to accept an IP from that router. Changing my router IP to 192.168.30.1 allowed me to connect from both the UniFi APs and the ASUS.
Good to know. I suggest you add this IP address fact to one of the wiki threads.

Also, if there is a portal or anything else that blocks connections to the internet, the car will disconnect the WiFi and return to 3G/LTE. It checks to see if it can connect to the internet as soon as WiFi comes up. I've seen slow DNS resolvers cause this issue as well.

Reactions: chillaban
I have a netgear ex7000 dual band ap 12 feet and one door from my Tesla. Last night after delivery it connected no problem with 5 bars. This am only one bar and wouldn't connect. All other devices connected fine. Deleted network and re-added and back to 5 bars. Very weird behavior. Nothing else had a problem

Without a doubt, if you are having reception issues, rather than installing an additional AP in the garage, get a Ruckus R500, R600. I have it mounted at the top of our stairs, and at any given time there are 40 devices attached to it, and our cars have no issue whatsoever connecting through 2 floors, and 4 walls to get to the garage.

Reactions: chillaban
Without a doubt, if you are having reception issues, rather than installing an additional AP in the garage, get a Ruckus R500, R600. I have it mounted at the top of our stairs, and at any given time there are 40 devices attached to it, and our cars have no issue whatsoever connecting through 2 floors, and 4 walls to get to the garage.

Ruckus definitely makes the best AP's and they are fantastic bang for the buck too.

My home is also powered by Ruckus and so is my parents'.

I'm surprised to find so many people running Ubiquiti APs. Just wanted to contribute another data point. Ubiquiti AC LR (non pro) not running portal. I haven't had a problem connecting my Tesla to it but recently had issues with my Samsung tablet keeping a connection. It would every few minutes disconnect and reconnect. It wouldn't be so bad if the game I was playing relied on the connection and it just got annoying. Ended up connecting to another AP that was non Ubiquiti to keep my tablet happy. I'm surprised they haven't had a new firmware update in over 3 months now.

I'm surprised to find so many people running Ubiquiti APs. Just wanted to contribute another data point. Ubiquiti AC LR (non pro) not running portal. I haven't had a problem connecting my Tesla to it but recently had issues with my Samsung tablet keeping a connection. It would every few minutes disconnect and reconnect. It wouldn't be so bad if the game I was playing relied on the connection and it just got annoying. Ended up connecting to another AP that was non Ubiquiti to keep my tablet happy. I'm surprised they haven't had a new firmware update in over 3 months now.
They do. In fact they have new firmware every week. However, the latest firmwares have so many connectivity issues (esp with Apple devices) that it's really getting ridiculous. They just can't get it right after months of users complaints. They keep asking users for logs/wireshark info. Sometimes they say they could reproduce it, released fixes, but they don't work! The most stable firmware for me and many others was the one that bundled with UniFi Controller 4.8.15. Anything in 5.x is shitty for 1 of my sites (due to busy wifi signals / environment as they call it).

It's kind of sad that some basic functionality doesn't even work with these enterprise access points that a cheapo consumer wireless router can do out of the box. When they say the UAP are enterprise products they really mean it - they should be installed in multiples to support large number of clients, not ideal for consumer / residential installations when most only need 1 or 2 APs (well obviously you could, but no real benefits over consumer products). The AC-LR really doesn't provide that much more range if any, to be honest.

When they work they work well. When they don't, it will take ubnt forever to fix something they broke.

Last edited:
It's kind of sad that some basic functionality doesn't even work with these enterprise access points that a cheapo consumer wireless router can do out of the box. When they say the UAP are enterprise products they really mean it - they should be installed in multiples to support large number of clients, not ideal for consumer / residential installations when most only need 1 or 2 APs (well obviously you could, but no real benefits over consumer products). The AC-LR really doesn't provide that much more range if any, to be honest.
The advantage of using these Ubiquiti access points is consumer level pricing with enterprise level features. Plus nobody wants to pay Cisco level pricing for consumer products which many say is overrated anyway and it's nice to have a smoke detector looking device on your ceiling that provides WiFi. I already tried an Engenius ceiling mount AP and I think it lasted less than a year after repeated lockups.

The advantage of using these Ubiquiti access points is consumer level pricing with enterprise level features. Plus nobody wants to pay Cisco level pricing for consumer products which many say is overrated anyway and it's nice to have a smoke detector looking device on your ceiling that provides WiFi. I already tried an Engenius ceiling mount AP and I think it lasted less than a year after repeated lockups.
I have no affiliation. I'm just an IT guy of 30yrs.
Get Ruckus. $500-$600/AP and zero issues from a single AP in my case to 30. I've never had issues with them. None. Truly the best AP'S. Period.

Yeah Ruckus pricing is nowhere near Cisco level pricing. A standalone or controllerless P2P R500 is like $450 and the R600 (3x3:3 AC) is $600 or so, and you can often find much better prices on eBay if you're willing to go that route. It's nowhere near Cisco prices especially when you factor in Cisco's licensing and controller costs.

(I also have no affiliation with Ruckus. Just a huge wifi nerd after trying to deploy a reliable mesh network on a 6600 sq ft house + 2.5 acre property for my family)

I've fairly recently heard of Ruckus but that's overkill for home deployment. In addition, if you're going to do some type of mesh network $450-600 for each AP adds up fast for transparent handoff. It's easy to spend other people's money and harder to justify for home use.