Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could Tesla solar panels connections to grid and house have been mixed up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Tesla solar panels installed at my house. After city inspection Tesla technician turned the solar switch on because I had solar permit for an earlier system that is running. He said it is ok.

In the tesla energy app I am noticing the numbers and graphs don’t make sense. The grid graph shows I am exporting energy at night and importing during the day. I am noticing the figures also don’t make sense in terms of how much my house is consuming e they, it actually went up.

I checked my usage at SDGE and noticed that it the same as before.

My questions are:

1. Could the solar system connections to house and grid have been reversed?
2. Are the data reliable of Tesla before PTO has been received?

3. Does Tesla energy have remote control over where this solar energy generated to being sent and they are actually sending it to ground until PTO is received?

I attached couple graphs. The home usage energy does not seem right since according to SDGE app I only imported 10KWh

I reached out to customer support and they said I should turn it off, they refuse to troubleshoot till PTO is received

Attachments

• 64635D01-0548-40A0-AD5B-FCC7B819E3AF.jpeg
    64635D01-0548-40A0-AD5B-FCC7B819E3AF.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 7925B72B-8F0E-4498-AFBF-C0D2199A1D5D.jpeg
    7925B72B-8F0E-4498-AFBF-C0D2199A1D5D.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 138
The pickup coils are wired backwards or programmed backwards. System is probably fine. It’s just the monitoring that is configured wrong.

Your “usage” curve is definitely Solar and at the correct time.

To elaborate on @mswlogo's explanation, these are the sensors used by the app to monitor where power is flowing and how much, they are placed on certain electrical wires in your panel. They can be physically placed on the wrong wires (seems very common in Tesla installations), or just configured wrong in their system/software (also very common).

It's not really possible to actually wire the solar panels themselves "backwards", i.e. to have the electrons flow in the "wrong direction". Your panels can't consume power during the day and send power at night. Power will always flow from where it's generated (either the grid, or the panels during the day), to where it's consumed (your home loads, or daily overproduction out through your meter to your neighbor's loads).

Reactions: jgleigh
Thanks for the responses. I did a small excitement that shows generation is fine and maybe just monitoring. I checked the meter was running backwards this morning. I turned off my two other systems’ solar breakers (systems facing west) and meter kept running backwards using east facing tesla solar panels. I turned off the tesla solar panels circuit breaker and meter started running forward

I turned the systems back up and had to leave home.

Tesla energy app showed generation went to 0KW and now it is back up to 3.7 kw and keeps climbing

I guess have to wait till I got PTO to get this figured out with Tesla support

Thanks for the responses. I did a small excitement that shows generation is fine and maybe just monitoring. I checked the meter was running backwards this morning. I turned off my two other systems’ solar breakers (systems facing west) and meter kept running backwards using east facing tesla solar panels. I turned off the tesla solar panels circuit breaker and meter started running forward

I turned the systems back up and had to leave home.

Tesla energy app showed generation went to 0KW and now it is back up to 3.7 kw and keeps climbing

I guess have to wait till I got PTO to get this figured out with Tesla support
You don't need to wait. In fact, I encourage you not to. Call Tesla and get it fixed. In many cases, they can do this over the phone/internet.
(877) 961-7652, or (877)-798-3752.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Ramphex