Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could this app make Teslas more fun & reduce motion sickness?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue with this law continues to be that there are plenty of vehicles that don't make noise when moving at a slow speed (hybrids, hydrogen to be specific). To specify 'EV' ignores that. If the issue really is to provide noise to pedestrians, then a minimum noise level should be required for all cars moving between 1mph & 18mph. And then it's a level playing field. (And I submitted comments to that effect when it was open for public comment.)
I'm fairly certain the rule does apply to hybrids as well. "Manufacturers have until September 1st, 2019, to equip their vehicles with the new alert, but half of new hybrid and electric vehicles must be in compliance one year before the final deadline. The mandate is being issued as part of a pedestrian safety law passed by Congress in 2010..." I believe the rule is on hold, like everything else with Obama's name on it.
Electric cars are now required to make noise at low speeds so they don’t sneak up and kill us

I like your idea of the gentle sound to warn people. Perhaps a "meep meep"?

Edit: Oh, and applying the rule to fuel cell cars is...what's the word?....extraneous? :D

My issue with this law continues to be that there are plenty of vehicles that don't make noise when moving at a slow speed (hybrids, hydrogen to be specific). To specify 'EV' ignores that. If the issue really is to provide noise to pedestrians, then a minimum noise level should be required for all cars moving between 1mph & 18mph. And then it's a level playing field. (And I submitted comments to that effect when it was open for public comment.)

What I'd really like is a small button on the steering wheel that would allow me to notify pedestrians that I'm behind them - like a bicycle bell chime. I don't want to blast my horn at them & the chime is well-known as 'coming up behind you'.

I am surprised to hear Tesla doesn't have that. My volt has a push button on the end of the blinker stock that is a ped horn. Sounds off two midtone "bump bump" horn. I actually use it often when backing out of parking spots.

The other day intact I was about to back out, visually looked around left and right shoulder then back to the screen showing the rearview backup cam feed and started to slowly back up. I then quickly hit the brakes as there was a guy quickly walking right behind me looking down at his phone with headphones in. He never even looked up or at me. And I wad already 1/4 back out of the spot.

What I'd really like is a small button on the steering wheel that would allow me to notify pedestrians that I'm behind them - like a bicycle bell chime. I don't want to blast my horn at them & the chime is well-known as 'coming up behind you'.

We installed a trolley bell behind the bumper of our Fiat 500e. It's a really nice way to say "I'm here" without honking the horn. We rigged it up to a little momentary button on the dashboard.

EV Pedestrian Trolly Bell - Horn Alternative, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Reactions: bonnie
I do wish Tesla would have some option to create some sound outside of the car in the instances where I would like a pedestrian or cyclist to know that a car is approaching.

I have had instances where a person at a sidewalk almost walked into the path of my car because they didn't realize that I was approaching.

This would of course be utilized only in stances where you wished the car to make some type of noise.
One of the early adopters noted that people walking in parking lots did not hear him coming behind them. He didn't want to scare the wits out of them by honking the horn, so he installed a doorbell behind the nosecone, with a pushbutton under the dash somewhere, so he could give a gentle warning instead.