Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covered storage - premium only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like a small detail, but I was surprised that you needed to opt for the premium package to get covered storage in the center console. I was going to be trying to keep the cost of my model 3 pretty low, but this seems like a small thing that will get really annoying over time. Does that mean that if you get the standard model, there is no armrest for your right arm to rest on? Do any pictures exist of what the standard model interior would look like? Perhaps there will be an aftermarket part which allows you to add the armrest cover after the fact.

I believe “covered storage” is referring to the area directly under the screen, in front of the cup holders. I’m guessing instead of the phone dock you just have an open space. Non-PUP cars should still get an armrest with storage underneath.

There aren’t any pictures yet (that I’ve seen anyway), so this is all conjecture.

• Love
Reactions: Dr. J and Nosken
I believe “covered storage” is referring to the area directly under the screen, in front of the cup holders. I’m guessing instead of the phone dock you just have an open space. Non-PUP cars should still get an armrest with storage underneath.

There aren’t any pictures yet (that I’ve seen anyway), so this is all conjecture.
The armrest has storage underneath? I hadn't heard that.. that would be awesome. I miss that in my Model S. If that *were* the case, then I would actually prefer an open area under the screen (like my Model S) as it is so much more flexible for storing larger items than closed storage would be.

The armrest has storage underneath? I hadn't heard that.. that would be awesome. I miss that in my Model S. If that *were* the case, then I would actually prefer an open area under the screen (like my Model S) as it is so much more flexible for storing larger items than closed storage would be.
I'm pretty sure it opens and there's a giant storage area that extends under the cupholders to the front area (although now you have me doubting my memory...). I'm sure there's storage under the arm rest, and I think I remember an early video showing that it extended all the way forward...

One of the great mysteries of the MS: what the heck is under the armrest and why does it not open? :confused:

Reactions: Az_Rael
If you go on youtube and watch videos from the 50 car handover event, the one with Bjorn definitely shows the armrest storage. Some other videos may show it as well, but I don't recall.

I'm pretty sure it opens and there's a giant storage area that extends under the cupholders to the front area (although now you have me doubting my memory...). I'm sure there's storage under the arm rest, and I think I remember an early video showing that it extended all the way forward...
There's a space under the armrest like most cars (except the Models S and X)

Have we confirmed if this is true? Standard models don't get a covered console w/ covered storage and chargers?

Tesla Model 3 production specs revealed: up to 310 miles range, 140 mph top speed, and more

PUP:
  • "Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones"
Does that mean it is just open like the original Model S?
Since a non-PUP car doesn't exist at this point other than on paper, it's anyone's guess what it will be once it comes to fruition.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'll be interested to know exactly what Tesla means by no covered storage. Hopefully, it's just referring to the phone dock that covers, and not the entire center console and armrest.

I think people will be surprised at how basic a non-PUP car is. For example the steering wheel won't be adjustable, no heated/auto-folding/auto-tilting side view mirrors, no fog lights, no signature lights, no storage pockets on the back of the front seats. It appears the seats might not be power adjustable, no driver profiles, etc...

Of course Tesla isn't making these yet so they can still add/remove anything to/from the non-PUP trim level.

I think people will be surprised at how basic a non-PUP car is. For example the steering wheel won't be adjustable, no heated/auto-folding/auto-tilting side view mirrors, no fog lights, no signature lights, no storage pockets on the back of the front seats. It appears the seats might not be power adjustable, no driver profiles, etc...

Of course Tesla isn't making these yet so they can still add/remove anything to/from the non-PUP trim level.
I seriously doubt that there won’t any adjustments for the steering wheel on the non PUP version.

Reactions: T-Will and jsmay311
I seriously doubt that there won’t any adjustments for the steering wheel on the non PUP version.

According to the manual they have published it is only adjustable if you have PUP. (But maybe they will add instructions for non-power adjustments once they actually start making non-PUP cars. Like there are no instructions for adjusting the front seats if you don't have PUP.)

so the front seats are manual if you don't have PUP?

As far as I can tell. The manual doesn't cover adjusting the seats for non-PUP cars and Tesla lists "12-way, power adjustable front seats" as part of the PUP package. (Doesn't mean that they can't add 4-way power adjustable front seats to non-PUP cars; we won't really know what non-PUP cars contain until they start making them and demo cars, or the manual, are available.)