Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO / Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently we have a Prius and Leaf in our garage. I am wanting to go all electric and thus in the market for a CPO P85. One concern is family road trips and the spousal approval factor. I would like to limit my time as much as possible at the SuperChargers. I have seen some conversations on the forum about different battery packs. When looking for a CPO should I concern myself with ensuring I purchase a specific battery pack?

TIA for the feedback.

If you want to minimize Supercharger time, you need a B-pack or newer, so avoid the very lowest VINs (any VIN less than 2.5k, if I recall) Realistically, though, I think someone calculated the time difference as being something like 5 minutes. And that's only if you have the Supercharger to yourself: if there's a car in the paired slot, there's no practical difference.

If you want to minimize Supercharger time, you need a B-pack or newer, so avoid the very lowest VINs (any VIN less than 2.5k, if I recall) Realistically, though, I think someone calculated the time difference as being something like 5 minutes. And that's only if you have the Supercharger to yourself: if there's a car in the paired slot, there's no practical difference.

Having now done a few Supercharger trips with my A-pack equipped car, I would have to agree. It's not like I sit there with a stopwatch. In pretty much every case, the car was finished at or before the time I was finished getting a snack or whatever.

Nothing more to add. Gizmotoy got it on the first try!

Currently we have a Prius and Leaf in our garage. I am wanting to go all electric and thus in the market for a CPO P85. One concern is family road trips and the spousal approval factor. I would like to limit my time as much as possible at the SuperChargers. I have seen some conversations on the forum about different battery packs. When looking for a CPO should I concern myself with ensuring I purchase a specific battery pack?

TIA for the feedback.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, definitely steer clear of 60 kWh CPO cars if minimizing charging time at superchargers is a major concern. The charging power tapers off as the battery fills up and thus charging an empty 60 kWh battery to 200 miles of range will take MUCH longer than charging an empty 85 kWh battery to 200 miles of range.

The charge taper also means it's optimal to arrive at a supercharger with as little range as you dare and charge just enough to comfortably make it to the next charger. The trip planning software was supposed to automate all of this, but it doesn't quite work as advertised just yet. Driving a little slower will also use less energy and shorten supercharger stops.

And the best way to make supercharger stops feel shorter is to have something to do while the car is charging. Bathroom breaks, meals, coffee breaks, etc. are definitely good ideas. But some of the superchargers also have interesting attractions nearby like the neat rock shops near the Quartzsite AZ supercharger or the awesome downtown area near the Wickenberg AZ supercharger.

Good to know that there isn't much of a delta between the A and B packs. Many of the trips will be from MN to AZ so the 60kWh CPO is out. Looked at the 70kWh new, but figured it'd act like the Leaf (ie slow down after 80%) and driving across the country with range anxiety (or having to stop every 150 miles) goes against the SAF.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Having now done a few Supercharger trips with my A-pack equipped car, I would have to agree. It's not like I sit there with a stopwatch. In pretty much every case, the car was finished at or before the time I was finished getting a snack or whatever.

+1
Have driven 5000 km in our first two months with our CPO 2013 Tesla Model S 85 with "A" pack like @mknox have found no limitations. When we travel, the car charges faster than we eat/shop/rest. Posted a 2500 km road trip on this forum, check it out for the planning aspects and journey :
Toronto to New York city - trip planning

- - - Updated - - -

One concern is family road trips and the spousal approval factor

My wife traded in her Mercedes SUV for the CPO S85 (in my signature below).
She is thrilled with the Tesla, and has driven it on 350+ km trips without any concerns.

When I get to drive it, we're usually driving 500 km or more, and have supercharged more than a dozen times in two months, it's flawless, and the savings of a CPO with lots of options over a new 70 is minimum $15K and you get longer range than the 70 by 80 km or more. It's a good idea IMHO to get CPO if you already own an EV and know what to expect.