Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO - Car in Previous Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on the lookout for a CPO MS and am working with a SA to help me find the right one. He recently sent over a few options that were not listed on the website, as they have been in a previous accident. The SA however mentioned that all cars as a part of the CPO cannot have been in a major collision and that it has been completely repaired and the full warranty is intact. It also includes the additional 4year - 50K mile warranty.
The specs are exactly what I want and the price is about $3K - $4k lower than similarly priced CPO cars.
Has anyone else come across these options? If yes, could you share your experience?
Also any thoughts/feedback to help me take a decision is very much appreciated.

you should ask what type of accident it was involved in, if it was minor, i would still consider. id want to see the repair in person though.

you may want to share some options/numbers so we can chime in on if this is even a good deal.

I am in the exact same situation as you. I was told similar info, the cpo I deposited down on was written up as "minor damage". I asked what was considered minor but the cpo rep said she didn't know any specifics and guessed due to the minor labeling that it couldn't amount to much more then a fender bender. To me as long as air bags had not deployed the accident was probably minor. I am still awaiting to know that information, but I did put down a deposit in fear of loosing exactly what I wanted.
2014 S85 loaded up car, sun roof, leather, dual charger, premium sound, and auto pilot 1. 48 k miles, $54k, the vin is 55860 something.
We'll see how it turns out. Prior to pulling the trigger on this cpo I lost a 2015 S85D, it had all the same specs plus D, that vin was 99900 something with autopilot 1 of corse it was $55k. ( not sure if 85D had any fender bender history, but loosing it in 18 min of being notified of it made me realize good deals go very fast) Again if any air bag has been deployed, that to me would be a red flag! And not sure if you could classify that as minor!?

To me as long as air bags had not deployed the accident was probably minor.
That's a very wrong assumption. Take a look at this - no airbags deployment, preliminary estimate $40k in repairs (the owner is hoping for car to be totaled): Accident and Repairs

img_5194-jpg.230402

That's a very wrong assumption. Take a look at this - no airbags deployment, preliminary estimate $40k in repairs (the owner is hoping for car to be totaled): Accident and Repairs

img_5194-jpg.230402

that doesnt even look bad. how is that 40k? did they post the estimate? looks like a simple replace trunk/rear bumper and paint. shouldnt be more than 5k for paint + parts.

• Disagree
Reactions: tesiono and MP3Mike
I was informed that there are different categories of accident cars. Starting with if it shows on the car fax all the way to new bumper or minor cosmetic work.

My OA said there are a few non listed discounted cars that have no accident history or anything on the car fax but may have been a lease return or trade with a scraped bumper or dent that needed body work and Tesla categorizes that under "accident" internally.

img_5194-jpg.230402
Wow!! 40k for that!!!! Looks like maybe 8-10k tops. Tesla parts must be hella expensive!!! Even from that photo, if properly repaired I would fine with it, as long it was repaired back to factory fit, finish, and operation. Don't get me wrong no accident is always the best.

that doesnt even look bad. how is that 40k? did they post the estimate? looks like a simple replace trunk/rear bumper and paint. shouldnt be more than 5k for paint + parts.

Wow!! 40k for that!!!! Looks like maybe 8-10k tops. Tesla parts must be hella expensive!!! Even from that photo, if properly repaired I would fine with it, as long it was repaired back to factory fit, finish, and operation. Don't get me wrong no accident is always the best.

It's all here: Accident and Repairs

The linked thread had damage front and rear, so the picture of just the rear with the $40K estimate is a little misleading.

I was rear ended while stopped at a stop light for a passing ambulance (how many more warnings did the guy who hit me need?). It was low speed, but managed to damage the hatch, the bumper, and part of the body behind the bumper. Total repairs were in the $15K to $20K range. The shop who did the repair work estimated I might expect somewhere between $3K and $5K from a diminished value claim. I have one in progress right now, so we'll see how it goes.

I have complete confidence in my car in its post repair state. That said, I'd obviously prefer that it never happened. If you could get any information about what was repaired, and the price seemed right, it would definitely be worth considering. If it's something that you'd always be wondering about, a discount might not be enough. Only you can make that call.

The linked thread had damage front and rear, so the picture of just the rear with the $40K estimate is a little misleading.
Agree, the one picture does tell the full story but I was lazy to copy the rest of the pictures and instead linked the entire thread which shows damage tot he front as well.

But, that being said, the point of my post stands - the airbags did not deploy and it wrong to assume that any accident where airbags did not deploy is minor.

Thank you all for the responses.
I just spoke to the SA and he said that it was not a collision, but a mishap where-in someone backed the car into something causing the rear trunk to be replaced. He also sent the CARFAX, but there is no mention of the damage on the report. The car was a loaner, could this be why it was not reported on CARFAX?
The specs:
  • Metallic blue with Grey Napa Leather and Obeche gloss interior
  • 19" wheels
  • Dual Chargers
  • Pano Roof
  • Tech package
  • About 38K miles
  • $47,500
The car is located in Seattle, where I also reside. The SC mentioned that he should be able to deliver it in about 3 weeks.

To me as long as air bags had not deployed the accident was probably minor. I am still awaiting to know that information, but I did put down a deposit in fear of loosing exactly what I wanted.
I too did not want to take the chance of loosing a good deal (I was convinced by the explanation and the details) and decided to put down payment. So I am now a part of the family (-in-waiting! :)

id want to see the repair in person though.

I would have liked to see the repair as well and test-drive, but the SC said that it might not be possible till the date of delivery. He said he will try to expedite the delivery (my parents are visiting and I want to take them on a road-trip in the car, if possible) and an inspection might delay this date. I read the CPO experiences of others on the forums and in general, it looks like Tesla is accommodating reasonable requests. So I have gone in with good faith!

No ICE, were you able to inspect the car?

I also had front damage too. There was also frame damage that wasn't included in 40k. The front is really messed up. That is why it is a total. It leaked washer fluid and made a loud noise. The parts that needed replacement was bumper, fenders, a pillar, hood, headlight and many many more.

I have been on the lookout for a CPO MS and am working with a SA to help me find the right one. He recently sent over a few options that were not listed on the website, as they have been in a previous accident. The SA however mentioned that all cars as a part of the CPO cannot have been in a major collision and that it has been completely repaired and the full warranty is intact. It also includes the additional 4year - 50K mile warranty.
The specs are exactly what I want and the price is about $3K - $4k lower than similarly priced CPO cars.
Has anyone else come across these options? If yes, could you share your experience?
Also any thoughts/feedback to help me take a decision is very much appreciated.

If you use this website, it is much easier to find what you're looking for. EV-CPO / Tesla CPO, Preowned, Used and Inventory Listings / ev-cpo.com

It costs $500 for a stinking door handle replacement .... so w/ that in mind - can you now imagine $40K ? That's likely a low number.
$500? Last number I heard was $1800!

As for the Op, I'd want pictures of the damage, or at least the repair invoice. Most Tesla authorized body shops are high quality places and if there wasn't major damage it could easily be better put together than some of the factory cars.

I'd also consider how long I was planning on keeping the car. If you plan on keeping it a long time, the repair won't matter much when you go to sell it. If you plan on selling it fairly soon though you'll not only have a harder time selling it, but you'll lose that $3-$4k savings.