Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO P85D Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked it up today. The paint was worse than I expected. I did decide it was still worth it. It did come with additional extras I didn’t expect. I was presently surprised to have a matching matte obeche center console rather than just the yacht floor as advertised. It has brand new super sports all around. It also has twin charging. Overall I’m pretty happy with my purchase. I’ll get the cosmetic damage repaired and get it wrapped and it’ll look great.

I know this is some months old but I'm wondering...

1) How has it been owning a P85DL+?

2) Any suggestions for someone thinking about purchasing nearly the exact same car?

3) Anything else you want to share that I didn't ask?

Thanks.

I know this is some months old but I'm wondering...

1) How has it been owning a P85DL+?

2) Any suggestions for someone thinking about purchasing nearly the exact same car?

3) Anything else you want to share that I didn't ask?

Thanks.

I love my car, and don’t have any regrets, but it hasn’t been the best experience.

I’ve had to have both taillights replaced due to condensation. I’ve had one door handle failure already. I’m still fighting constant MCU freezes and and “driver assist features unavailable.” They keep flashing the new firmware and telling me that should correct it. I’ve had both things as recent as this afternoon. The biggest issue I’ve had so far was the HV battery failure due to a bad wiring harness. My car was down for two weeks and they replaced it with a non-Ludicrous battery. They are currently working on fixing it, and have confirmed I will be receiving a 90kw battery instead. If it is a V3 it makes all of this stuff worth it. I’ve had a lot of issues in this small window. Most things took multiple attempts and follow ups to get a response and get it corrected. I had a blemish in the wood on the dash that took 5+ emails and almost two months for them to correct. I fully believe it wouldn’t be corrected now if they didn’t already have my car in the service center for the battery.

I will say that I get the impression they try to do the right thing, they try to provide great customer service, and everyone is very nice. In practice many of their processes are pretty broken, the buying experience was a nightmare, service has been a nightmare. I don’t want to scare you away, and like I said I don’t think I would change anything that I’ve done, but it’s been a journey for sure and I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and PhilDavid
I love my car, and don’t have any regrets, but it hasn’t been the best experience.

I’ve had to have both taillights replaced due to condensation. I’ve had one door handle failure already. I’m still fighting constant MCU freezes and and “driver assist features unavailable.” They keep flashing the new firmware and telling me that should correct it. I’ve had both things as recent as this afternoon. The biggest issue I’ve had so far was the HV battery failure due to a bad wiring harness. My car was down for two weeks and they replaced it with a non-Ludicrous battery. They are currently working on fixing it, and have confirmed I will be receiving a 90kw battery instead. If it is a V3 it makes all of this stuff worth it. I’ve had a lot of issues in this small window. Most things took multiple attempts and follow ups to get a response and get it corrected. I had a blemish in the wood on the dash that took 5+ emails and almost two months for them to correct. I fully believe it wouldn’t be corrected now if they didn’t already have my car in the service center for the battery.

I will say that I get the impression they try to do the right thing, they try to provide great customer service, and everyone is very nice. In practice many of their processes are pretty broken, the buying experience was a nightmare, service has been a nightmare. I don’t want to scare you away, and like I said I don’t think I would change anything that I’ve done, but it’s been a journey for sure and I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Thanks for the detailed reponse, seriously!!

Whatever I experience, I hope I can still walk away happy as a result of having an amazing vehicle.

Thanks for the detailed reponse, seriously!!

Whatever I experience, I hope I can still walk away happy as a result of having an amazing vehicle.
Having the warranty is definitely piece of mind, and much of a headache as their “CPO” process is, I wouldn’t recommend any other way. The four year warranty makes me feel comfortable while they get everything ironed out.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I couldn't imagine being without warranty.

Did you have a chance to drive it without ludicrous? How did it compare? I'm curious how noticeable it is - though from what I've read it is pretty noticeable.

Good question...

By design, I've always looked to drive Model S's with Ludicrous. First a P100D for 3 days, and then test driving a P90DL. Now that I think about it, I've never driven a non-L Model S. At this point...

1) I don't want to know what it's like not having it.

2) I've spent far too much time looking at the benefits of having L, particularly on the highway... I'm not concerned about 0-60 or while at a red light... and everyone states how much of a difference it is.

3) The fact that paying for L previously had a cost of $5k, $7.5k or even $10k in some cases... it seems like a no brainer to me to pay the extra $2-4k in the total price of a vehicle vs a vehicle that doesn't have it.

I couldn't imagine being without warranty.

Did you have a chance to drive it without ludicrous? How did it compare? I'm curious how noticeable it is - though from what I've read it is pretty noticeable.
It’s kind of hard to stay. It is cold here and I haven’t really pushed it much. I would say day to day driving it isn’t noticeable. To me it seems most noticeable from a stop. I’m still currently driving it with the standard 85kw. They said it would most likely be another few weeks at least. The other factor here is I went two weeks without driving it and drove a mix of my wife’s van, my Silverado, and a Maxima loaner. Comparatively even the standard P85D is so ridiculously out of any of those three cars league. I suspect it will be most noticeable when I switch back to having Ludicrous.

It’s kind of hard to stay. It is cold here and I haven’t really pushed it much. I would say day to day driving it isn’t noticeable. To me it seems most noticeable from a stop. I’m still currently driving it with the standard 85kw. They said it would most likely be another few weeks at least. The other factor here is I went two weeks without driving it and drove a mix of my wife’s van, my Silverado, and a Maxima loaner. Comparatively even the standard P85D is so ridiculously out of any of those three cars league. I suspect it will be most noticeable when I switch back to having Ludicrous.

I know they're helping you fix an issue, but I cannot imagine how I'd feel if there were a battery issue that required them to downgrade my car while fixing things. Also, at this point, you'll for sure be getting the P90DL battery or something else?

I am the first owner of a P85D-L, multicoat red with the grey leather interior, solid roof, (+) suspension. I have zero major problems. I have never needed my computer replaced, flashed, or any other work. I have had 1-12V battery replacement, and drivers door replaced (under warranty, without hassle). I proactively had an appliqué updated when it became available. Tires, Thats it. I paid for the Ludicrous upgrade. Notable improvement.

It's an awesome car. And, as the (early?) P90D's have had a large incidence of battery trouble, the only cars out there that can even come close to my car in terms of acceleration are Tesla P100Ds. And they have a soft suspension. I love my car.

Reactions: Russell
I am the first owner of a P85D-L, multicoat red with the grey leather interior, solid roof, (+) suspension. I have zero major problems. I have never needed my computer replaced, flashed, or any other work. I have had 1-12V battery replacement, and drivers door replaced (under warranty, without hassle). I proactively had an appliqué updated when it became available. Tires, Thats it. I paid for the Ludicrous upgrade. Notable improvement.

It's an awesome car. And, as the (early?) P90D's have had a large incidence of battery trouble, the only cars out there that can even come close to my car in terms of acceleration are Tesla P100Ds. And they have a soft suspension. I love my car.

Thanks for sharing. What year and mileage do you have?

I know they're helping you fix an issue, but I cannot imagine how I'd feel if there were a battery issue that required them to downgrade my car while fixing things. Also, at this point, you'll for sure be getting the P90DL battery or something else?
To make it worse they didn’t know they were downgrading me. They just threw an 85kw battery in there because I have an 85kw car. I caught the lack of power by using PowerTools. I suspect there could be a situation where someone that didn’t know any better would have accepted it as is and never knew they lost anything since the software is still there.

As far as I know the 90kw is confirmed they told me Monday I would for sure be receiving a 90kw any day. I followed up this week and they said it is a few weeks out still.

Well, I know when I ordered it, I know when they built it, and I know when I received it. That being said, IIRC you can look at the sticker on the drivers' door sill. It tells you either month or week, can't recall which. Maybe I will get off the couch and go look.

PERFECT! The car I'm looking at has a March 2015 build date, so thanks for the door jam tip. I had never known to look there.

They finished the battery install today. I was supposed to have the car delivered back to me tomorrow, but they are saying due to the weather I will have to wait until Monday. My car reflects the 90kw battery in the apps and I’m seeing 270 rated miles which is a huge improvement over the 248 rated miles from my 85kw. Other than having to wait the weekend so far so good.

They finished the battery install today. I was supposed to have the car delivered back to me tomorrow, but they are saying due to the weather I will have to wait until Monday. My car reflects the 90kw battery in the apps and I’m seeing 270 rated miles which is a huge improvement over the 248 rated miles from my 85kw. Other than having to wait the weekend so far so good.

Nice. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I hope you got a v3 90kwh battery and not one of the ones that sometimes have issues.