Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get the best of both new and CPO if you can find an "inventory" car. We bought an "inventory" 2015 P85D last summer after searching for several months for the perfect car... and saved $14,000 vs. buying new AND still got the $7,500 Federal tax credit and $2,500 CA state rebate... which made the CPO cars effectively $10,000 "higher".

I would love an inventory car but right now they are very high priced.

we can remove the under water as I have an offer $7k over my loan payoff estimate which is a great surprise. Who knew the Dodge Durango was in such demand???? :)

$700 is where I would like to be but getting the total price of a car where I want it is more important. I say that number as it gives my wife an idea of our current payment vs what that payment looks like with gas savings built in.

I do have concerns over build quality in a 2013 or so versus ponying up more cash and getting a $7500 credit, a better warranty and piece of mind as me being the only owner and improved manufacturing over the years.

That being said I need to price it out and rally compare a 60 new to a 60 CPO

The CPO warranty is 4 years - 50K miles from when you take delivery. So that would cover you. With regard to differences, it's always hard to say what they are since Tesla does not make changes based upon model year. You might not have things like folding mirrors, front/rear parking sensors. Then you should look at the other options on the car: roof, sound system, carbon finder, etc. The center console (and LTE) can always be added prior to delivery. That's what I did.

I thought the CPO Warranty was 4/50 on top of when the original Manufacture 4/50 runs out, not when you take delivery? So if you buy a CPO with 2 years and say 35,000 you're warrantied for 6/85,000 in reality.

Ski

I would add that a CPO 85 would be my choice vs a CPO 60. Although CPO "deals" are scarce these days, they seem to release a few cars once of twice a quarter and there do seem to be a few deals in there. Heck, here is an S85 for $51,200:

85 kWh Model S P25996 | Tesla Motors

VIN is in the 25,000s so it isn't a super new car by any means, and you get leather, dual chargers and the tech package for that price. I don't suspect it will last long.

I know people tout the quality of the newer cars, but it isn't like there is a magic cutoff where the quality suddenly skyrocketed. Indeed, many owners report the difference isn't as dramatic as some would lead you to believe and for things like rattles, those can generally be fixed (admittedly, you might have to be persistent with the service center). Like me CNasty, you are in Texas so we don't get the benefit of any extra state rebates as some others do (oh to live in Colorado with its massive stat rebate).

If you are going to go CPO, and considering a 60, I would only bite if one of those were dirt cheap. Otherwise hold out for an 85 - resle value alone should drive you there especially in Texas. We aren't exactly overrun with superchargers here (although Sulphur Springs opened yesterday - woot!).

I would add that a CPO 85 would be my choice vs a CPO 60. Although CPO "deals" are scarce these days, they seem to release a few cars once of twice a quarter and there do seem to be a few deals in there. Heck, here is an S85 for $51,200:

85 kWh Model S P25996 | Tesla Motors

VIN is in the 25,000s so it isn't a super new car by any means, and you get leather, dual chargers and the tech package for that price. I don't suspect it will last long.

I know people tout the quality of the newer cars, but it isn't like there is a magic cutoff where the quality suddenly skyrocketed. Indeed, many owners report the difference isn't as dramatic as some would lead you to believe and for things like rattles, those can generally be fixed (admittedly, you might have to be persistent with the service center). Like me CNasty, you are in Texas so we don't get the benefit of any extra state rebates as some others do (oh to live in Colorado with its massive stat rebate).

If you are going to go CPO, and considering a 60, I would only bite if one of those were dirt cheap. Otherwise hold out for an 85 - resle value alone should drive you there especially in Texas. We aren't exactly overrun with superchargers here (although Sulphur Springs opened yesterday - woot!).

Hello fellow Texan!!

My wife and I had a good talk tonight about our options and what we want. I showed her a CPO and she said why does it look different from the other one you showed me? I said this is a used one and the other was a redesign and new. She goes we aren't getting a used one. If we are buying a tesla we are buying a new one and getting it the way we want it. :)

Ear to ear smile as she made me so proud. Pretty much puts us in a new purchase versus CPO as she was the final hurdle if you will.

I'd love to hear your Texas tesla experience if you have one. What do you have? Where did you get it? Insiders on services such as tint, wraps, etc?

I just moved here and loving Texas and having a tesla will make me love it more!!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here's my sheet: Car cost NPV comps
Keeping a car only 3 years is going to be an expensive proposition any way you slice it. That's what kept me out of the Prius and Highlander. Sales taxes alone are going to be a 3-4k writeoff every 3 years. I thought I'd quickly get bored with them and cut back my savings to trade up in a couple years anyway.
Nice spreadsheet by the way. That is a good way to take the emotion out of the purchase. It also brings up the fact that the more often you trade cars the higher the price is. The best way to lower the price of the car is to keep it and drive it 8 to 10 years.

Hello fellow Texan!!

My wife and I had a good talk tonight about our options and what we want. I showed her a CPO and she said why does it look different from the other one you showed me? I said this is a used one and the other was a redesign and new. She goes we aren't getting a used one. If we are buying a tesla we are buying a new one and getting it the way we want it. :)

Ear to ear smile as she made me so proud. Pretty much puts us in a new purchase versus CPO as she was the final hurdle if you will.

I'd love to hear your Texas tesla experience if you have one. What do you have? Where did you get it? Insiders on services such as tint, wraps, etc?

I just moved here and loving Texas and having a tesla will make me love it more!!
Sorry Cnasty, like you I'm shopping so no Tesla yet! I did test drive a couple again today out of thr Ft. Worth store.

Recently had the same debate. Was looking at a new 60 with minimal options and ended up going with a CPO p85+ that popped up. Talked with the CPO advisor who was able to get me actual pictures and the spec sheet that showed options the website did not. Pulled the trigger and couldnt be more excitrd.

I crunched the numbers, and even without the tax credit I am still coming out on top. The Tesla lease made no sense and the CPO program is extremely compelling with all of the postive experiences from others. Now i just have to wait the 3-5 weeks to take delivery

Reactions: SmartElectric
Recently had the same debate. Was looking at a new 60 with minimal options and ended up going with a CPO p85+ that popped up. Talked with the CPO advisor who was able to get me actual pictures and the spec sheet that showed options the website did not. Pulled the trigger and couldnt be more excitrd.

I crunched the numbers, and even without the tax credit I am still coming out on top. The Tesla lease made no sense and the CPO program is extremely compelling with all of the postive experiences from others. Now i just have to wait the 3-5 weeks to take delivery
That must've been a good deal.. I've msotly seen those in the mid to upper 60s CPO