Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO: What questions would you ask?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This community has been very helpful in my pursuit of going all electric. I am now at a point that I am looking for that "perfect" CPO Model S that marries the features I want with the price point I am willing to pay. My question for the group is: When looking at CPOs what would be the top question(s) you would ask about the vehicle?

TIA in advance for any/all replies.

This community has been very helpful in my pursuit of going all electric. I am now at a point that I am looking for that "perfect" CPO Model S that marries the features I want with the price point I am willing to pay. My question for the group is: When looking at CPOs what would be the top question(s) you would ask about the vehicle?

TIA in advance for any/all replies.

Yikes this topic had been discussed so much. Just go back and read some of the relevant threads. Basically:

+ Pull up the CarFax (will tell you the in service date, how many owners the car has had, and if the car was bought new or as an inventory car).
+ Ask for the service records and maintenance history so you know what work has been done with the car as well as what services have been done.
+ Don't accept no for an answer for the item above.
+ Before you pay for the car, take your time to go over the car in great detail and make a note of anything that requires to be fixed or made right.
+ Any items above should be on a "We owe you" list that is given to you by Tesla.
+ Take the car to a high end body shop for a pre purchase inspection of the paint and any past repairs that might not have been done properly.
+ Above step is very important as if you find anything improper with the paint after you buy your car, you might be on your own.
+ Buy the car with the peace of mind that you've done your due diligence. You are buying a used car. Don't skimp on your due diligence.

Also if a longer warranty is important to you, Tesla for whatever reason, refuses to sell an extended warranty for CPO cars so you can get a longer warranty buy purchasing private party with the Extended Warranty (but then realize you have a $200 per issue deductible).

There are GREAT CPO deals to be had and I'm not trying to discourage you. It is a great option to purchase the world's finest car at a lower price but just do your research and make an informed purchase.