Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPUC solar decision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a generally legal option in CA.
Not legal to go completely off grid, but couldn't you install solar and ESS, not file an interconnect agreement, and then configure the system, manually or otherwise, not to export to the grid?

With the fixed charge I would have to export 2000 kWh to even break even assuming they are going to reimburse at a few cents per kWh so why even bother.

Other tidbits:

Retroactively changing terms for non-CARE NEM 1.0 and 2.0 customers, forcing them to the successor tariff at 15 years from interconnection instead of 20. So “RIP his energy bill” in 14 years, not 19…

NEM 2.0 is officially dead 120 days after the adoption of the decision, based on date of interconnection application.

$8/kw/mo is insane.

If I am reading it correctly. It sounds like existing NEM 2.0 users keep their 20 year grandfathered period, but people who join NEM 2.0 between when the proposal is adopted (later half of Jan 2022?) and when NEM 2.0 sunsets (120 days after adoption - later half of May 2022) only get 15 years. Other than that there does not seem to be any changes to NEM 2.0.
See page 149. Everybody loses 5 years (excepting low income CARE participants).

99C3CCB3-790D-4450-84D2-BB1591536749.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: holeydonut
Not legal to go completely off grid, but couldn't you install solar and ESS, not file an interconnect agreement, and then configure the system, manually or otherwise, not to export to the grid?

Do you really think PG&E will let you get away with that? If your system is connected to the grid then PG&E explicitly requires an interconnection agreement. PG&E can easily find out who has solar since you have to get a permit to install it.

May be I should just cancel my project with Tesla since it's still in permit stage. Oversizing the system is going to hurt me more. There's no way I can get positive ROI quick enough with the new change.

You don't think your system will be applied-for-PTO in time before NEM 3? IMO you should try to get in ASAP to get 20 I mean 15 years of NEM 2.

Then rip the panels off your roof and build a Coal fired furnace in your back yard since there is no per-kW fee for Coal. (I don't really know if this idea is sarcasm or not. Sad.)

Do you really think PG&E will let you get away with that? If your system is connected to the grid then PG&E explicitly requires an interconnection agreement. PG&E can easily find out who has solar since you have to get a permit to install it.
I'm not in PG&E territory but obviously it applies everywhere in the state. I don't think they can have any say what's behind your meter as long as you're not pushing anything back to their side. Not a lawyer or interconnection expert so willing to be corrected.

I do wonder what the remediation would be if you do push something back. In the current interconnect agreement the only remediation is to deny PTO.

You don't think your system will be applied-for-PTO in time before NEM 3? IMO you should try to get in ASAP to get 20 I mean 15 years of NEM 2.

Then rip the panels off your roof and build a Coal fired furnace in your back yard since there is no per-kW fee for Coal. (I don't really know if this idea is sarcasm or not. Sad.)

Tesla now tells me even with permit approval, they might not be able to install until Q1 sometimes next year due to supply chain issues. And they are infamous for sitting on not submitting PTO for months. So, I'm not even sure after going thru all these hassles.

Also, I'm thinking of reducing the size of my system but this will cause more delays as design and permit have to be updated.

I'm might be wrong but this will make reselling house with solar system very unattractive.

I don't know why anyone installs solar. Every time someone comes by trying to sell me on solar, I always tell them that when they get PG&E to agree in writing to not only not change the NEM rules, but also not change my rate plan, for at least the payback period of the solar system, I'd be interested. And not a single one of them has been able to do this. Even NEM1 customers who are allowed to be on the E-1 (tiered, not TOU) rate plan haven't been protected from the E-1 plan ceasing to exist entirely AFAIK. And of course the NEM2 customers keep getting screwed because PG&E keeps lowering rates during peak solar production time and pushing peak hours later and later in the day. That's fine if they're doing this to non solar customers but if they want me to invest money in a solar system, they need to agree in writing that I'll be able to get a decent return on my investment.

Tesla now tells me even with permit approval, they might not be able to install until Q1 sometimes next year due to supply chain issues. And they are infamous for sitting on not submitting PTO for months. So, I'm not even sure after going thru all these hassles.

Also, I'm thinking of reducing the size of my system but this will cause more delays as design and permit have to be updated.

I'm might be wrong but this will make reselling house with solar system very unattractive.

I agree that selling a house in 15 years that has solar on it is literally going to be a liability. Like instead of realtors worried about there being a solar loan or some PPA... they'll just be worried there's solar at all. The CPUC members all seem to pocket from tasty kick-backs from all the businesses that PG&E's (and the other IOUs) waste supports. Shady as hell.

Also, I see the issue you face right now that Tesla is currently charging customers a cost that makes sense under NEM 2.0 rules. If NEM 3 passes the way this proposal outlines, your system will need to drop in price by like 25% to make financial sense for you. So paying today's prices for tomorrow's system is terrible for you at this time and it's worth waiting if you feel you're destined for NEM 3.0 either way.

Just remember that you'll eventually want solar + ESS regardless of what NEM 3.0 does. The joint IOUs have shown that even with this bullcrap $8 per kW fee; avoided cost calculator credits for export; and higher NBCs, a solar+ESS customer should still see a payback in 15 to 20 years (versus the 5 to 10 today).

Basically the public utitlies are so bad, that even a highly burdened full of bullsh!t NEM 3.0 model is slightly better than sticking with the utility for all energy.

See page 149. Everybody loses 5 years (excepting low income CARE participants).

View attachment 744073
This only seems to apply to people installing after the adoption of the proposed rules. See below:

(c) Immediate replacement of the 20-year legacy period with
a 15-year legacy period for all future NEM 2.0 tariff
customers, including residential customers who take
service under NEM 2.0 after the adoption of this decision,
as well as customers taking control of (i.e., owning,
leasing, or paying a power purchase agreement for) a
residential system, other than when the subsequent
customer is the legal partner (i.e., spouse or domestic
partner) of the original customer.

This only seems to apply to people installing after the adoption of the proposed rules. See below:

(c) Immediate replacement of the 20-year legacy period with
a 15-year legacy period for all future NEM 2.0 tariff
customers, including residential customers who take
service under NEM 2.0 after the adoption of this decision,
as well as customers taking control of (i.e., owning,
leasing, or paying a power purchase agreement for) a
residential system, other than when the subsequent
customer is the legal partner (i.e., spouse or domestic
partner) of the original customer.

Yes, but read paragraph (a) in the same section. This applies to everyone retroactively, EXCEPT CARE customers.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.05.44 PM.png

I'm not in PG&E territory but obviously it applies everywhere in the state. I don't think they can have any say what's behind your meter as long as you're not pushing anything back to their side. Not a lawyer or interconnection expert so willing to be corrected.

I do wonder what the remediation would be if you do push something back. In the current interconnect agreement the only remediation is to deny PTO.

There are already many jurisdictions in the world that require zero export but interconnection agreement is still required along with whatever fees the POCO's charge.