Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack in a CrossClimate 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was doing a tyre safety check on my M3 before a 200 mile drive at Easter - and found this on one of my six month old CrossClimate 2s:

img_8753-jpeg.1031743

What do you think? Needs replacing or cosmetic? No idea of the cause of the crack - nothing on other tyres.

Will run it by KwikFit later - but I understand they have a vested interest in selling tyres….so I’d trust the community here more….

Contact Michelin directly to possibly arrange a replacement under warranty, assuming it's faulty rather than damaged through use. At the least they'll give unbiased advice. Could just be a slice from a piece of glass though.

Kwik Fit might offer you this, more likely they'll say it needs replacing and worst case may not legally let you drive off in that condition, don't know.

Reactions: nufan
Thanks all - good to do safety checks for Easter trips.

With a magnifying glass on it you can just see the glint of a metal chord - maybe some rusty looking stuff too (not totally sure of that). Holding pressure - but not too happy driving at speed on it for any duration.

KwikFit say it’s an MOT fail/irrepairable - so booked in to replace tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice - much easier to accept the inevitable with it!

If you do get your tyre replaced at KwikFit, you could take the tyre away and take it up with Michelin or whoever sold you the tyre. If that was KwikFit and you think the tyre was defective your claim is against them - although it may be easier to deal with Michelin.

If you do get your tyre replaced at KwikFit, you could take the tyre away and take it up with Michelin or whoever sold you the tyre. If that was KwikFit and you think the tyre was defective your claim is against them - although it may be easier to deal with Michelin.
I think it will prove difficult to establish the cut was a manufacturing defect that was there from the start as opposed to driving on a piece of glass...

Reactions: boombap
If you can see a glint of (unrusted) metal cord it's highly unlikely to be a defect from new. There is so much crap lying around on the roads these days. I've seen stanley knife blades which have become embedded in tyres, even a piece of rebar which went through the tyre and the wheel rim.
There is a process you can go through to get the tyre inspected by Michelin for defects but it take months as they always have a backlog.

Reactions: boombap
Not that I want to defend Kwik fit in any way but I am not aware of anyone who could or would repair that.
How would you even go about fixing something like that?
It's too close to the sidewall for a start. Nobody would tackle that unless they wanted to make a quick buck on the side and not care about the consequences.

Thanks all - the local Tyre Pros swapped it this morning (Kwik Fit group still - just had an earlier slot than the main KF garage locally).

The guys there didn’t think it looked safe either, and came across as genuine.

Much happier now replaced. With a long Easter family trek ahead of me, two kids in the back - I didn’t want to keep thinking of that crack instead of the traffic (the kids fighting will distract enough!).

Thanks again.

Thanks all - the local Tyre Pros swapped it this morning (Kwik Fit group still - just had an earlier slot than the main KF garage locally).

The guys there didn’t think it looked safe either, and came across as genuine.

Much happier now replaced. With a long Easter family trek ahead of me, two kids in the back - I didn’t want to keep thinking of that crack instead of the traffic (the kids fighting will distract enough!).

Thanks again.
problem with a cut like that is that if it does fail its not going to be like a puncture from a nail that goes down slowly it could result in a blowout which is obviously far more dangerous. Well spotted.

Reactions: nufan