Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack in rear glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 Model 3 has a crack in the inside of the rear glass. Tesla is quoting me $788, it seems to me that this should be a warranty repair because it's clearly a design or manufacturing defect. Glass shouldn't crack on it's own. I haven't called Allstate yet because I think this should be out of Tesla's pocket, it wasn't caused be a rock so I don't think it should be an insurance issue.

2022-07-06 13.13.28.jpg

I have the same thing in my 2019 Model 3. I haven’t taken it in yet. I have seen several of these posts recently and some of them were covered under warranty when Tesla inspected and there was no chip or impact on the outside.

I always suggest that you argue the case with service, on the premise of where and how you park, and short of there being evidence of an impact, it’s a stress crack. Also be sure to tell them that you doing precondition in the extreme heat, but rather open your windows before. That way, they can’t pin that on you. Just sayin’…..

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My 2019 Model 3 has a crack in the inside of the rear glass. Tesla is quoting me $788, it seems to me that this should be a warranty repair because it's clearly a design or manufacturing defect.

If there is no impact damage on the outside layer, then your assessment is probably correct.

Glass shouldn't crack on it's own.

True.
But extracting that admission out of a Tesla SC (service center) is not automatic.

We all applauded Tesla doing away with the dealer network, and thus saving money on the cost of distribution.
The flip side of that is NOT having a dealer between you and the automaker, to argue your case for getting defects covered under warranty. Either you get good at doing it yourself, or you pay up now.

Good luck!

I had the same glass crack in the same place. When you drop it off to service, make sure you have someone take a look at it, verify there is no external impact point, and it should be covered under warranty. There are also many many posts about this defective glass internal cracking online to show them.

I've learned that none of the OEMs will cover glass on the roof or glass under the factory bumper to bumper warranty. Whether it be Porsche, Lexus, or Ford, you're basically on your own. With Ford, the best they will do is "work" with you on the cost of repair/replacement, down to 50% of the costs - usually after you threaten legal action or social media shaming. I did a lot of research into this when my sunroof glass flew off the adhesive (clean separation) at freeway speeds on a few months old new vehicle. I had heard a slight wind whistle at 70+ mph but thought nothing of it at the time. Dealer took photos and Ford rejected warranty replacement, claiming it was a rock chip.

With Tesla the glass design is a bit different but I imagine it will be the same. I guess if you get them replace it under warranty, consider yourself lucky.

Does it pass the ballpoint pen test?

If so - show that to the service center and they should work with you.

If not - it’s impact damage …

And yes, it’s possible to have impact damage on the inside of the glass. I did that once - whoops. Insurance took care of it. Comprehensive claim, cost me $100 to replace a windshield. Easy cheesy.

I have 2019 M3P and mine cracked last week, the crack looks almost identical to yours.

I have looked very carefully and as far as I can see it is the internal sheet of the laminate that has cracked
Does it pass the ballpoint pen test?

Is this test simply running a ballpoint across the external area of the crack and feeling for any 'bump'?

The Uk service centre are giving me a cost estimate of £665 to fix. I am pushing back as there is no external damage and I strongly feel that its stress crack

PXL_20220706_190234287.jpg

I have 2019 M3P and mine cracked last week, the crack looks almost identical to yours.

I have looked very carefully and as far as I can see it is the internal sheet of the laminate that has cracked

Is this test simply running a ballpoint across the external area of the crack and feeling for any 'bump'?

The Uk service centre are giving me a cost estimate of £665 to fix. I am pushing back as there is no external damage and I strongly feel that its stress crack

View attachment 828112
It’s not just feeling for a bump but any “dip”.

• A “pen test” is often used to determine if there is a stress crack — a ballpoint pen is run along the crack, and if it dips anywhere, it is not a stress crack. That is because with a stress crack, no glass actually comes off the windshield.

• Helpful
Reactions: BogBeast
Had the same issue with my 2018 P3D (M3P).

I used the post link from here highlighting it’s common issue and due to manufacturing/design issues. Clearly there was no impact marks and how the crack starts seems like from body pressure (can hear the creaks/rattles - feels like flex but maybe not).

Also, rear defrost stopped working due to crack cutting the circuit? Either way, Tesla service centre in Langley/Surrey BC was great! Technician took a look at it and said it’s covered under warranty. That was good news since that part of warranty expires this month!

2783A3F9-C7D7-4DF4-975E-55DF870B6C8D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
They fixed it under warranty. It's clearly a design problem because there is a stress problem. It's not a recall issue because it's not safety issue. Don't know if they've changed the glass to address the issue or if in three years I'll be back for the same problem.

I am surprised they covered it under warranty! None of the OEMs usually cover glass (front/side/top/etc) under any kind of manufacturer's warranty. My Ford sunroof glass flew off on the free-way (clean separation from adhesive) and Ford blamed it on me, on a rock chip, etc... anything to get out of replacing it under warranty. I did further research and found similar situations for Lexus, Porsche, etc... even Ford panoramic glass that exploded on a corner or cracked etc... None of the factory warranties would cover glass.

Attachments

• Sunroof Missing Glass.JPG
    Sunroof Missing Glass.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman
Metto rear glass.... I'm worried because after 4 years (2018) are they going to pass it through warranty?

I'm going to cry as anyways will lose its beautiful orange color when it is raining...
I also wonder if it is only M3P because of the torque and we do like to use the torque...

Attachments

• stress crack.jpg
    stress crack.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 255
Had the same issue with my 2018 P3D (M3P).

I used the post link from here highlighting it’s common issue and due to manufacturing/design issues. Clearly there was no impact marks and how the crack starts seems like from body pressure (can hear the creaks/rattles - feels like flex but maybe not).

Also, rear defrost stopped working due to crack cutting the circuit? Either way, Tesla service centre in Langley/Surrey BC was great! Technician took a look at it and said it’s covered under warranty. That was good news since that part of warranty expires this month!

View attachment 849665
Was your car 4 years old and expired warranty or still under it?

I noticed last night 15+ inch snake like crack on my rear glass starting from bottom, I parked my car Friday night in my garage, came out Sun evening to go out and noticed it, this morning the crack is 20+ inch. I see no impact or anything.

mine is 2018 Sep model, out of standard warranty, now thinking what should I do, ask Tesla anyway ? Not sure if my insurance (Geico) could cover.
And if anyone done it, how much does it cost?

I noticed last night 15+ inch snake like crack on my rear glass starting from bottom, I parked my car Friday night in my garage, came out Sun evening to go out and noticed it, this morning the crack is 20+ inch. I see no impact or anything.

mine is 2018 Sep model, out of standard warranty, now thinking what should I do, ask Tesla anyway ? Not sure if my insurance (Geico) could cover.
And if anyone done it, how much does it cost?

Sounds like a possible rock impact. Would be very hard to notice impact point.

Just had windshield replaced on our Model X. Was a $2100 bill; insurance covered under my comprehensive coverage. I have a $100 deductible, so that was a no brainer.

Call Geico and ask them - not sure what your comprehensive deductible is ...