Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked windscreen. Can autoglass do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got my first windscreen chip too:-( Thought it was going to be a big one with the noise it made, but fortunately it is quite small with no cracks radiating from it yet (see picture).

2020-03-07 15.15.57.jpg

From the other comments in this thread I'm guessing it is worth doing something about it to stop it getting worse. Has anyone used one of the repair kits like Rain-X® Windshield Repair Kit - Rain-X ? One of the issues seems to be that the instructions say you should move the car into sunlight to cure the resin, and I haven't seen much sunlight in weeks.

What is it about 4 days in? Just been cleaning the glass and noticed this.

View attachment 520302

Right at the edge and has separated some of the layers. New windscreen methinks...

What I don't get about mine, is how on the surface there is only a tiny mark, yet it is underneath where it looks to be broken and peeling away from the black layer. Could it be coincidence that I heard a stone strike and that this is in fact an installation fault? Either way, I'm beyond 100 miles now so I guess it's tough luck. Even it it was installation error, to look at Tesla would straight away dismiss it as a stone chip.

I would have thought that the chip on the adjacent paintwork would make Tesla say that installation fault was unlikely.

Yeah I agree. I heard an almighty crack driving on the A19 the other night so it's obviously been a nasty stone. Just annoyed that the actual chip is tiny, but it must have had nowhere to dissipate the force and so the glass has just shattered underneath.

Just gave the car a good wash after a 500 mile tour this week and discovered this:

20201018_142219.jpg

I don't remember a stone hitting the windscreen but it's definitely an impact from the outside.

I'm with Direct Line, hoping that I can get it sorted without fuss but given the two cracks leading from the impact point I think it'll need a replacement windscreen.