Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crackling noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone post a sound file of it?

I get a similar "crack" from mine but it sounds like it's coming from the driver-side window/windshield rather than speakers. It happens at random times even when I'm not listening to anything. It sounds more like a glass crack but I haven't been able to find any damage.
Not sure if related, but it looks like a crack finally appeared on the windshield. This sound was from before I had the dash cam, but it looks like the installation made it worse until it cracked.

IMG_3922.jpg

Glad I found this and am not the only one experiencing this issue... 2018.32.2 3817fdd. Have not tried the pause / unpause trick but the next song plays fine. Happened with Slacker for me. Also experienced my first MCU reboot when I got into my car after it was sitting in the parking lot for 2 hrs (not plugged in).

I thought it was water in my speakers from a tint job. Thank god others have this issue. This happens intermittently rarely when it has trouble loading a song/podcast. Stops playing and starts the static sound. Its fixed if i press down both buttons and soft reset the screen. I couldnt pause or move forward or change from intune to bluetooth/radio/slacker. Still the best car Ive ever had lol.

I occassionally get pretty nasty sound/crackling. I have yet to have this happen while playing Spotify via blutooth where I have the highest quality audio set in settings. This suggests to me it is a problem with the streaming service, not the car.
I don't think it's streaming that is causing the problem. I recall somebody posted on twitter that they have experienced similar problems when they programmed their own DAC logic.. that there is a circular buffer that isn't being used properly and the boundary of the buffer is introducing noise.

The fact that pause play clears up the issue indicates that it's a issue with way the audio is played back. A quick pause/play wouldn't throw away the already buffered data, download again from the internet and start playback quickly enough. But a play/pause would likely reinitialize internal buffers used in sending audio to the sounds system.

Reactions: emorog
I don't think it's streaming that is causing the problem. I recall somebody posted on twitter that they have experienced similar problems when they programmed their own DAC logic.. that there is a circular buffer that isn't being used properly and the boundary of the buffer is introducing noise.

The fact that pause play clears up the issue indicates that it's a issue with way the audio is played back. A quick pause/play wouldn't throw away the already buffered data, download again from the internet and start playback quickly enough. But a play/pause would likely reinitialize internal buffers used in sending audio to the sounds system.
It is definitely not streaming. I've had the crackling randomly on just about every source, including streaming, USB, and Bluetooth.

• Helpful
Reactions: emorog

Yep. You mean this one?
Graeme Devine on Twitter

Reactions: phigment