Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker popping noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had some audio oddities for the last few months - seems to date back to one of the updates - it used to be flawless. It's not a big deal but things like the AP pings occasionally seem to "interfere" with other audio, or speakers seem to briefly go mono then back to stereo when playing that type of sound. Pretty sure it's a software thing, maybe the Intel Atom struggling a bit or just a bug in the sound stack somewhere?

The Ryzen seems to have it just as bad, so it must (?) be a software issue. Not sure why it doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way, though. I'll try to drive my brother's Model 3 and see if that does it too.

I think I have a similar problem but it occurs when I’m skipping between songs on the stereo. It’s like a buffering sound because the system can’t process the changes fast enough.
My car has just started doing this I think. I only notice it on Teslas streaming app though. When changing the station or skipping to the next song I hear two clicks or cracks. And they get louder with the volume.

My car has just started doing this I think. I only notice it on Teslas streaming app though. When changing the station or skipping to the next song I hear two clicks or cracks. And they get louder with the volume.
I haven’t had the issue since upgrading software several releases back. Definitely not a “mechanical” thing - make sure your car is on the latest software.

I have an older 2014 MS and was having this issue for a few months. Tried MCU reset by holding scroll wheels and nothing, but finally the latest software update to 2023.32.6 seems to have solved it. I would only get the crackling/popping on bluetooth audio (ie phone calls or streaming media from my phone) and since update I haven't had the issue in a few days. Fingers crossed it stays that way

No updates have made this any better, or worse, so far, for me. It sounds like it comes from a left front speaker, but localizing audio in a Model Y is an exercise in futility, especially when the service centers gaslight you about where the sounds come from (like for example, when they insisted the high pitched whine I heard from the front was actually from the rear motor, but then they ended up having to replace the front motor).