Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker popping noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since my MYLR was delivered, I've noticed a popping, crackling noise from one of the internal speakers whenever it has to make sounds rapidly, like when I engage autopilot by pressing the right stalk down twice. It also makes this sound when the park assist is giving distance warnings. I tried to search for any others who might have had this problem, but I can't find anything that matches (I see some posts about radio or SXM causing problems, but those seem fine to me).

Here's a link to hear what I'm talking about. Does anyone else have this problem, or should I visit a service center for this?

I have mobile service coming out today to rotate tires, so maybe I'll ask them, but wondering if anyone else notices this. It seems to be independent of music playing, which happens just fine. Is there a separate speaker for the park assist and autopilot engaging sounds?

Did you see if a service center would look at it? It seems absurd that a 70k+ car would have such crappy speakers. I also see that yours was delivered just 3 weeks before mine, so I wonder if it's a certain batch of cars that are affected.

Did you see if a service center would look at it? It seems absurd that a 70k+ car would have such crappy speakers. I also see that yours was delivered just 3 weeks before mine, so I wonder if it's a certain batch of cars that are affected.

i dont think its the speaker itself.. it reminds me of the crackling i'd get on old school computer sound cards that were overwhelmed on processing more than one sound at once ... sometimes a driver update would fix it

I tried to open a service call, and they replied it was a known issue to be fixed with a software update. I mentioned it had been over a year since this has been happening and they did not reply. 🤷‍♂️

Two Model Y and they both do it. Tesla just needs to put some effort into this or do a recall.

Reactions: gt2690b
i dont think its the speaker itself.. it reminds me of the crackling i'd get on old school computer sound cards that were overwhelmed on processing more than one sound at once ... sometimes a driver update would fix it
That's a good description. I couldn't tell if the autopilot and park assist sounds were coming from a separate speaker or if they shared the main speaker. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm playing music or not, the crackling sound is the same. If only I could find my floppies with the Sound Blaster drivers, I'd be set.

• Funny
I had a similar issue early on. I was able to isolate the issue to the rear passenger side speaker. I took it in for service once, but they weren't able to recreate the sound. I then made a second request and was able to recreate the problem for them. Tesla sent someone out to my house and replaced the door panel and speaker - as they're apparently attached. Havent had a problem since then and the car sounds great.

• Informative
I tried to open a service call, and they replied it was a known issue to be fixed with a software update. I mentioned it had been over a year since this has been happening and they did not reply. 🤷‍♂️
Same here. I scheduled a mobile service and they told me it was a known issue they'd fix it via an OTA but it kept getting worse until my screen started flickering and freezing. And now they're having to replace it for the second time under warranty.

So frustrating.

I still have the clicking sound after the 2023.12.9 update.

This to me sounds like the DSP restarting or crashing and reloading very quickly. It only happens at the beginning of the drive. Sometimes for 3 seconds, sometimes for 30 seconds. But once it goes away it doesn’t happen again for that drive. Or subsequent drives if the car doesn’t sit for very long. Maybe sleep mode causes it.

All,
Having the popping noise in the front speakers. This problem has started within the last two to three weeks. It happens with Apple Music or when I am listening to the radio. It is intermittent and occurs when I shift from park to either reverse or drive, use turn signals, turn on cruise control, or just driving. Also, the music will go off for a second or two and then comes back on. I have done all of the updates. Could it be a loose ground wire?

Well, after a test drive of another Model Y at my local Tesla dealer, I can personally confirm that the noise is not unique to my car. It happened several times on the test drive with the proximity sounds with park assist, as well as with the ding when engaging autopilot. On an unrelated note, the horrible high pitched whine when accelerating and the weird warbling noise when driving at constant speed seems NOT to be a standard feature, since the test car didn't have either.

I've had some audio oddities for the last few months - seems to date back to one of the updates - it used to be flawless. It's not a big deal but things like the AP pings occasionally seem to "interfere" with other audio, or speakers seem to briefly go mono then back to stereo when playing that type of sound. Pretty sure it's a software thing, maybe the Intel Atom struggling a bit or just a bug in the sound stack somewhere?