Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy service times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ridiculous! Do you have a loaner? Did they give you appointment?

Dedham MA SC. Yes, I had an appointment. No loaner, as I was traveling. The SC advisor said they’ve been swamped and have been working though their backlog. He mentioned they had brought in outside help to deal with the backlog (from HQ?)

They assured me that I’m not the only one that has been waiting this long (!).

Despite their assurances otherwise, this may just be a case where they forgot about me... Within a few minutes of getting off the phone with them, I saw in the app that my car was finally moved/plugged in and they appear to have started work on it. Unfortunately, I need the car tonight/tomorrow, so I am going to pick it up now unfinished and plan to bring it back Monday AM / get a loaner while they finish.

They also mentioned they were doing an airbag recall on the car, but the call today is the first I’m hearing about it. So I guess my biggest gripe here is the 100% lack of communication until now.

Dedham MA SC. Yes, I had an appointment. No loaner, as I was traveling. The SC advisor said they’ve been swamped and have been working though their backlog. He mentioned they had brought in outside help to deal with the backlog (from HQ?)

They assured me that I’m not the only one that has been waiting this long (!).

Despite their assurances otherwise, this may just be a case where they forgot about me... Within a few minutes of getting off the phone with them, I saw in the app that my car was finally moved/plugged in and they appear to have started work on it. Unfortunately, I need the car tonight/tomorrow, so I am going to pick it up now unfinished and plan to bring it back Monday AM / get a loaner while they finish.

They also mentioned they were doing an airbag recall on the car, but the call today is the first I’m hearing about it. So I guess my biggest gripe here is the 100% lack of communication until now.
There is your problem. No loaner. I can guarantee you if you had a loaner they would get on it quick. No loaner = 0 cost to tesla so they will take care of those with loaners first to minimize the loaner cost.

Next time just take the loaner even if you are traveling. Just park it in your garage. Yes inefficient and at the detriment of others who really can use the loaner, but this way it speeds up your servicing.

There is your problem. No loaner. I can guarantee you if you had a loaner they would get on it quick. No loaner = 0 cost to tesla so they will take care of those with loaners first to minimize the loaner cost.

Next time just take the loaner even if you are traveling. Just park it in your garage. Yes inefficient and at the detriment of others who really can use the loaner, but this way it speeds up your servicing.

I do have a loaner and I'm in the day 16.

its most likely because of all the M3's.

I remember before the M3's came out, i could just stop by the service center and ask them to do something quick like reset my navigation because it would always get stuck, and they would do it in 15 min.

Now i bet you they wont even see me, and ask me to schedule a visit....

Which also makes me worried, because its hard as hell as it is getting parts for our cars, now we need to fight the production chain with the model 3's.... *knocks on petrified wood* i hope i never have to use the parts department or the service center for a while....

3 weeks now... SC caused some fender damage, so it is now at the body shop. I don't even think they've started on any of the actual original things it was in for service for yet (2nd year annual and an air suspension issue).

My biggest concern now is that despite me asking several times over the last couple of days for them to plug it in because the battery was getting dangerously low (and them assuring me they would), it doesn't even look like they've even done that yet:
IMG_0587.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
Service is not a quick thing... Took my car in for appoint for my windshield replacement. They called me at the end of the day to tell me the new windshield was cracked. I was told to come pick up the car and bring it back when they have a new windshield. Been waiting for a tail light for over 2 weeks now. And waiting for my TPMS parts for almost 2 months.....

But to your original point, 2 weeks and not even started the original issue is crazy. They could have 120V charged your car to full now!

Welcome to "Service Hell"

If there is any way to do the work yourself or elsewhere, I would.

Crazy to get fender damage when you take the car in for work!

I actually strongly prefer doing car work myself... a few problems there for me though:
1) I currently live in the city, so that means I usually have to borrow garage space when I have work to do. This makes multi-day projects very hard
2) tesla has still not provided me with their diagnostic software, which is needed to perform many routine maintenance tasks
3) tesla has classified many of the parts on the car as “restricted” meaning they’re the only ones that can order/install them.
4) car is still in warranty, so SC is the only game in town for warranty work

This is my first truly bad service experience. At least I now have a loaner.

The SC’s response so far has been OK. We will see how things go when they actually get the car back I guess.

Yeah, every day I have a loaner is costing them ~$80 (at least? That was the number in the enterprise contract they gave me).

Really doesn’t make sense. Loaner is also annoying: no EZ Pass, no app access for preheating/charging, missing cold weather features (and it has been snowing/cold...)

At least this loaner has autopilot/EAP like my car (and, finally, after a few days without it, supercharging).

I visited the Rocklin, CA Service Center last week and it was my first time in for service after nearly a year of ownership. I had the enhanced intrusion detector installed and wanted to get the fluid replaced in the drive motors. Great job of receiving the car and getting me into a loaner. It was scheduled for a one-day service on Friday and since I had not heard anything back from the SC at 5:15pm, I tried to call to see if it would be ready by closing time at 6pm. No answer, so I drove to the SC (only a few miles away from home). The original service adviser and loaner car person had already left for the day and nobody knew where my car was, but another service adviser spoke with the technicians and learned the car was serviced and ready to go, but they forgot to manually enter the status update into the computer. I picked-up the car and everything was good, but if I had not driven back to the SC, I would have had the loaner through the weekend and perhaps longer. I am not complaining, but it seems to me that some of the SCs are doing better (Rocklin is one of them), however, there are still inconsistencies and minor errors that cause customer experience problems. How difficult would it have been for the original service adviser to check on all of his assigned cars before leaving for the day? How difficult would it be for system reminders and automated status communication? A good scheduling system should not require long waits, or rely on manual controls or human intervention. This is not rocket science, but it will require focused leadership to standardize SC processes, properly train staff, and improve automated controls. Will Tesla do it or not? Not sure, I hope so, but I would say time is running out.

I wonder if the issue is a few badly staffed/managed service centers rather than the service issues being more pervasive.

We are quite happy with the service at our local SC. We do offer them lots of bribes whenever we go though with lots of donuts or other treats for the overworked staff :p

Reactions: dark cloud
This is a pretty worrying thing to read about how bad things are in some US states when it comes to service centres. Waiting two weeks for your car to even be looked at, total lack of spare parts anywhere, constantly bug ridden software updates, questionable reliability, I have shares in Tesla but to be honest I'm seeing the wheels starting to fall off big time, they need to refocus as a brand because it's not going to see them through the very rough seas once real competition arrives.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT