Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the rear camera has a good field of vision, it still is not as sensitive as the backup cross traffic alarms in either my Lexus nor my Prius Prime. I frequently find myself parked between two large SUVs or trucks (I live in Texas!) and have to back out pretty far to see in the camera any traffic. This was never the case with the backup alarm.

Reactions: positiv and David29
Yeah the front & rear cross traffic alert on my Lexus works awesome, it's handy to have. Tesla can't be expected to have such luxury features LOL and it's only going to get worse as we move away from drivers being in control of cars.

If you can, back into parking spaces so it's easier to not hit someone when leaving the parking spot.

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Cross traffic alert utilize either camera and/or radar & ultrasonic sensors, once something breaks the field; It notifies you..

All hardware that car currently has, seems like only the software has to be written to use them in this way?

Reactions: keithf
Elon says cross traffic detection is coming... we'll see how good it is when it's here.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1274904736748105728
PLEASE do it! I got nailed again in parking lot back I g up. I’m out of paracfice driving from COVID!!!!
3947C85E-CD3B-46CC-A591-E05DD80BF9CE.jpeg

At least some sort of radar that is able to see in those directions I guess?

Absolutely, It is impossible without cross traffic radar or cameras located in each corner of the vehicle (radar is the way to go).

The rear camera view angle isn't sufficient for cross traffic detection. Especially if you are backing out at an angle.

People still manage but really any time you back out without knowing what is coming from either side, you are taking a chance. A predicament you should not be in with a modern vehicle. Best you can do is back up as S L O W L Y as possible until you have some visual indication about your surroundings.

I agree with ealier posts, the Rear Cross Traffic Alert on our previous Lexus saved me a few times from maniacs speeding down the parking lot. The Lexus system has detected a moving vehicle up to four spaces away before I ever had a chance to see them.