Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This statement is a non sequitur fallacy. Who said nobody was backing in? I back in every time unless circumstances prevent it. This has nothing to do with the few times I have to back up and wish I had an additional layer of safety protection.

Do you back into angled spaces in directional lanes? Do you back in when you will be loading or unloading the trunk? Do you back in when a space opens in front of you in a packed lot with a hungry driver behind you?
Agreed I have a Scottish friend that has the shortest fuse of any person on the planet, it is both stressful and hilarious at the same time being in a car with him, if you are brave enough in a car park to make him wait while you reverse in, you better be sure to do it in one go, you will still cop a mouthful of abuse, but if you have 2 bites of the cherry or more, he will be slamming on he horn veins popping out of the forehead and foaming at the mouth, and if you respond you better hope its an apology. I have grabbed him and stopped him jumping out of the car several times to stop the unsuspecting from getting a broken nose from one of the qickest headbutts you would ever not see coming.

I have Enhanced Autopilot (yes agreed what was I thinking?) even old aunty Gladys that bakes the scones for the local Christian Church Choir every Sunday, would likely be triggered enough to jump out of her car and headbutt me in the face and kick me in the Jatz Crackers if I made her wait for for Tesla's Reverse Autopark feature to complete, what a dogs breakfast that is works ok if not to many cars around, noone walking anywhere near the car and no other cars coming up near you in either dirrection, in other forget using it while shopping.

Yep Ignore the other comments, I hear ya as someone, who researched just about every last detail about the Model Y Tesla including the HW4 rabbit hole, again only Elon with the secret squirrel crap about HW4, also the important things for someone new to EV's such as true range using the heat map charts showing kmph v's temps so luckily I knew hi-way driving is horrible in an EV, had I not done that check I would have believed the MY could actually go on a country drive for about 455kms, reality is in AUS at hi-way common speed of 110kms in 26deg heat I get a range of 257kms, which is god awful but I knew this, last 2 x ICE vehicles I owned were pretty high spec Mazda, CX8 and Honda CRV before that, hearing that Tesla's were the safest vehicles in the world yadda, yadda and out teched just about everyone, I still think this is somewhat true. I made and Ass out of U and Umption and I didn't bother to research that little deeper, because I banked on the above mentioned features, either being there or Mr Musk and his jolly Musketeer's had brainstormed something far superior was actually very wrong my first guess, not having anything even close was not something I was even willing to bring to the table so that is certainly on me. I did know it didn't have a HUD like my Mazda, but I tell you what if the next model had rear x traffic or something better, 360 or something better and blind spot incorporated with the camera views when you indicate that would make the car great.
Yep, I knew beforehand that Tesla is philosophically opposed to features like HUD and phone projection. And I knew that the MY and M3 do not have a traditional instrument display. I also knew that the MY and M3 do not have Sirius XM - a feature I used to use a lot. After driving the car a while, I realize that I really do miss these and other missing features more than I thought I would.

I was shopping the Model S as a potential next car to at least get cooled seats, Sirius XM, and traditional forward-viewing instrument cluster. I am hopeful that the new HW4 with its additional camera inputs would give future models the ability to support surround view and possibly rear cross traffic. And maybe they would even improve the blind spot warnings. But, I did do feel like waiting for a Model S with the fully-realized HW4 sensor suite, so I will be tapping out for now but may be back.
I have Enhanced Autopilot (yes agreed what was I thinking?) even old aunty Gladys that bakes the scones for the local Christian Church Choir every Sunday, would likely be triggered enough to jump out of her car and headbutt me in the face and kick me in the Jatz Crackers if I made her wait for for Tesla's Reverse Autopark feature to complete, what a dogs breakfast that is works ok if not to many cars around, noone walking anywhere near the car and no other cars coming up near you in either dirrection, in other forget using it while shopping.
I debated adding Enhanced Autopilot to my car about every day just to improve the lane change. Tesla's lane change UX is the worst of any car with lane centering I have driven. It's like they went out of their way to make it bad. I expect that Tesla will eventually package the auto lane change with the Basic Autopilot, because the current offering is out of step with the market.

Last edited:
Seriously DO NOT bother at all, even if you hope that anything is better than nothing for Auto parking, trust me when I say having nothing is 100% less disappointing, than having something that might as well be nothing. its aweful and as mentioned totally unusable in even the lowest traffic volume shopping centre. Lane change is the reason I got it and it works as described pretty darn well, and lets face it does any other manufacturer's do autopilot like Tesla. Only thing is, the steering wheel nag is relentless, and I mean relentless, and kind of makes the whole hi-way nav on autopilot experience frustrating. So absolute word of advise save your money its totally not worth it.

Reactions: exxxviii
Seriously DO NOT bother at all, even if you hope that anything is better than nothing for Auto parking, trust me when I say having nothing is 100% less disappointing, than having something that might as well be nothing. its aweful and as mentioned totally unusable in even the lowest traffic volume shopping centre. Lane change is the reason I got it and it works as described pretty darn well, and lets face it does any other manufacturer's do autopilot like Tesla. Only thing is, the steering wheel nag is relentless, and I mean relentless, and kind of makes the whole hi-way nav on autopilot experience frustrating. So absolute word of advise save your money its totally not worth it.
You can cover the little rear view mirror camera and avoid crazy nags. It will still nag but less frequent. I never signed up to be ‘watched’ by tesla at all times tbh.

I haven't bought my Y yet. Without cross traffic alert, how is smart summon working?
Smart summon is not even enabled on 2023 MY, because someone decided that Ultrasonic Sensors were sooo yesteryear, and decided that the camera's would do just as good of a job.

Narrator : But the camera's did NOT do nearly as good of a job as the USS. (Which is why 2023 cars still have Summon, Smart Summon and Auto-park enablerd, and most likely never will).......(Price of the packages that "include" these features have remained the same though.)

Not really. It’s very distorted and fish eyed and you get like 1-2 spaces beyond on the side closest to your car.

Radar based RCTA can detect much farther out than the 1-2 spaces next to you and also judge the warning or intervention based on the speed of the cross traffic.

Reactions: Destiny1701
ANCAP test results for pedestrian walking across the rear of Tesla. Better than pedestrian standing still behind Tesla.

FDC4507F-661D-4A9A-82A2-7AB10839C859.jpeg

Safety features of ANCAP 2022 tested MY/3.
It's also one of the few cars recently tested by ANCAP.
B24FA6C0-8ED5-4851-8492-2718F6B022F9.jpeg

Exactly, IMO that's all you really need

Radar does not tell you speed of cross traffic.
No but it can determine when to warn or apply brakes depending on speed of cross traffic. Sometimes people fly down parking lots at 30 mph and 1-2 space distance view from the camera isn’t enough. Radar would sense the fast moving car before the cameras could see it and stop the car if needed.

The camera is enough to see a pedestrian or a car creeping along, sure. But not a faster moving car.

Reactions: Destiny1701
T-Man88: The tone of your post expresses deep annoyance at Elon Musk, Tesla, and your purchase. I would recommend replacing it with something that better fits your needs. Seriously.
Yep I agree with you on the tone about Elon, already ignoring people at the fast chargers in other Tesla's, after 2 fairly young and 1 older guy that wind down windows to talk, I soon realise they are totally 100% fanboys and claim to know everything, they seem surprised when they realise I am not reciprocating the enthusiasm. I went to the charger the other night and saw out the corner of my eye the guy next to me put his window down and pretended to ignore and kept watching Netflix (This feature is great and going to try out ABetterTheater.com - Full Screen Apps I just learned about).

I think the community in here needs to understand, that we all have different levels of enthusiasm for the cars, some are 100% all in on Elon and Tesla and very defensive of anyone bringing a Delta to the table.

Others are happy with the whole car package and its leaps and bounds above anything they have owned previously and don't have an opinion on Elon and that is fine we don't really hear too much about him in AUS.

There are a whole new group of us certainly here in AUS, with the FTB contributions and Leasing, makes $70kAUD car the same price to own per week less than a $37k car that is not EV or Plug-In Hybrid. We have done our research against the competition, and gravitated back to Tesla each time, we do love the tech mostly, maybe not the whoopie cushions. but also disappointed with some features missing such as 360, blind spot, rear x-traffic, we are making work arounds with with Tesla offers, Also I am somewhat locked into the Lease for 5 years which I am ok with and another factor for why the ICE was off the table, I didn't want to be close to 2030 and selling an ICE vehicle back into the wild where there is possibly very little interest. Also now I own a Tesla I just wish Elon would shut /filter his mouth or rest his thumbs no say dumb sh*t or post conspiracy theories, or broadcast dog whistle hate messages on the artist formally known as Twitter. Just stop please!.

We are saying the Elon thing is a factor because I am seeing almost daily videos of Tesla's being keyed by people that to me like they don't fit the type that would normally do it. classic guy in Sydney car park with a ute the other day is another example. I have owned my MY a month and noticed significant minor road rage, tailgating very close, cutting me off, not allowing into lane with indicator on, narrow road courtesy when cars coming towards if there are cars on the left wait for you to come through, already several incidents where they are not waiting and coming at me while I wait and no wave either (seriously) or I do the right thing and not getting a wave from car coming at me, come on this is AUS its in our DNA to do this (so why is it coincidence I might need more data but it seems more than normal) this certainly feels more than I experienced with my CX8 which cost almost the same when it was new in 2019. So what's the reason for it? is it jealousy as many say, or is it EV hate or is it Elon? Elon is certainly a percentage just what % per each case of judgey stares, road rage, or vandalism is the question.

You can cover the little rear view mirror camera and avoid crazy nags. It will still nag but less frequent. I never signed up to be ‘watched’ by tesla at all times tbh.
Hey I didn't know that, but something I noticed and someone correct me if I am wrong here does the camera detect when your eyes are off the road e.g. interacting with the screen, as I noticed a few times the alert for traffic ahead that are stopped being triggered pretty early and it seems to be when looking at the screen, 1 of the times it was a good alert I would likely seen it and stopped but might have been cutting fine. If it is doing this I don't think I would cover the cameras as that is a significant safety uplift especially when everything is on a big screen in the middle of the dash

Jeez, dude...my eyes are shot.
Your experience toward EVs/Tesla is old news here. Even in TX, the road rage/keying/etc. toward Tesla has moderated considerably.
Agreed that Elon should put a sock in it, bind his thumbs. Not...gonna...happen...
So sorry for your frustration. Progress is slow.

Reactions: T-Man88
Jeez, dude...my eyes are shot.
Your experience toward EVs/Tesla is old news here. Even in TX, the road rage/keying/etc. toward Tesla has moderated considerably.
Agreed that Elon should put a sock in it, bind his thumbs. Not...gonna...happen...
So sorry for your frustration. Progress is slow.
Hey I have to put my hand up and say i used to be somewhat of a fanboy, his quirky personality, Space X etc. That started changing when he called the worlds hero (British diver that saved all those kids) a Pedo, from what seemed to stem from him saying Elons mini sub wont work, which was proved to be right. Elon clearly not happy made the Pedo comment based purely on assumption any middle aged white guy from the UK who decides to be a teacher in Thailand is a Pedo. I almost gave a Elon a hall pass for this Douchebag comment, and then further research came out he paid a private investigator substantial money to dig something up on the diver that might help him look like he was on the money, obviously nothing was found. We are still talking about the worlds hero here. I paid much more attention to crap spewing from his mouth and thumbs after that and it has only spiralled further south

He...is...autistic. I'm sorry he gets front page attention for his actions, but autism isn't a character flaw, but a neurological jumble of synapses. He should listen to those around him, but clearly, he doesn't.