Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very disappointed to learn that my Model Y does not have rear cross traffic alert. Along with no spare tire and no garage door option it seems like yet another failure to include the basics that are available on most new cars on the road today. The hype around the expensive software and cameras hides unfortunate efforts to cut other costs.

You can add the garage door opener module, it's just extra fees instead of charging every owner for the royalties that this thing requires. Alternatively, the provided clicker works fine.

many recent cars omit the spare tire, Tesla are not the only ones. There are alternative options if you want a spare, or a slime bottle, or tire plugs as many of us do.

I think I said that the surprise was in the lack of no rear cross traffic alert. You are right. I did not know that this was not included. It never occurred to me that such a basic safety feature that is included in a lot of other new cars today would not be included in a Tesla with self drive, etc. I am positively amazed that it is not part of the standard package. Appalled might be the better word.

...cut other costs.
It's an industry standard that the starting price is only a teaser and you need to pay more for additional options.

But you are correct that even if you want to pay for rear cross-traffic alert, there's no rear radar for Tesla to sell that feature to you.

It's an odd Full Self Driving company that can't even do a 360 bird's eye view while many cheaper brands can.

It is what it is: It's a very odd company that does not believe in sensor fusion.

I've bought 3 Tesla so far because I thought Tesla is ahead in technology. For my next car, I will likely switch to a brand that practices sensor fusion.

I think I said that the surprise was in the lack of no rear cross traffic alert. You are right. I did not know that this was not included. It never occurred to me that such a basic safety feature that is included in a lot of other new cars today would not be included in a Tesla with self drive, etc. I am positively amazed that it is not part of the standard package. Appalled might be the better word.
The tough love part of me says: "Do your homework next time prior to buying".
The understanding part of me says: "Yeah, these features would be nice".

Take your pick I suppose.

"Appalled" is a pretty strong word; if you feel that strongly now could be a good time to sell?

I am very disappointed to learn that my Model Y does not have rear cross traffic alert. Along with no spare tire and no garage door option it seems like yet another failure to include the basics that are available on most new cars on the road today. The hype around the expensive software and cameras hides unfortunate efforts to cut other costs.
Yes I too am one of many owners to find this feature absent. It makes driving so much faster. And it is included on many carmakers basic models. Who needs theater mode if Tesla can’t include safety features!

The tough love part of me says: "Do your homework next time prior to buying".
The understanding part of me says: "Yeah, these features would be nice".
I was a bit surprised too... I did a fair amount of research, but there are some tablestakes items that many people would simply not think to ask about. For example, my last car was a 2012 Hyundai Genesis with their top-tier Technology package. It did not have Bluetooth audio streaming. That feature was on every other trim level of the car and every other car I knew about at that time. I figured it out after I had the car for a few days, because it never occurred to me that it would not have it. I put Tesla's missing cross traffic in this same category.

Cross traffic alerting is a tablestakes feature on every other remotely comparable car on the market today that I am aware of. It simply never crossed my mind that the Model Y, with its recent update, would not have that feature. I was aware that other tablestakes features like head-up display, SiriusXM, and CarPlay were missing, but with all their focus on advanced cameras, cross traffic seemed like a no-brainer.

I love the car, but there are a lot of little things missing that put the MY many years behind its counterparts in the market. This is my wish list, but I have 0 expectation I would see any of these as updates to my car:
  • 3D camera views. Tesla is the only car I know missing this. Seems like it would be a no-brainer with their emphasis on Tesla Vision. Even its core rear view is worse than about every other car available today. Hyundai's, for example, is freakin' awesome. The lack of this feature makes the Tesla way harder to park in tight spots than about every other car on the market.
  • Better lane changing UX on the basic autopilot. The basic autopilot lane changing is clumsy at best. Every other car in this class either automatically changes lanes with the turn signal or at least does not disengage and allows the driver to manually change lanes with the blinker while staying engaged.
  • Cross traffic warning. I do not know of a car made today missing this.
  • SiriusXM. The MY and M3 are two of a very tiny handful of cars in all of cardom missing SXM.
  • Head-up display. Ditto, the My & M3 are among a very tiny class of cars without this feature.
  • CarPlay/Android Auto. Tesla is the only manufacturer I know without CP/AA. On its best day, Tesla's navigation is a distant forth place in the world behind Google, Waze, and Apple Maps. (And Apple Maps is pretty mediocre compared to the top two.) At least it is better than almost every other car's built-in nav, but all those cars have CarPlay.
  • Cooled seats. I was pretty surprised to discover that the Tesla lacks this. It is only luxury car I know without.
  • Better blind spot alerting. Tesla has it, but it is the worst in the market. It's situational awareness and response is relatively ineffective.
The list of other missing, comparative tablestakes features is probably longer than above. It is reasonable that most people buying their first Tesla would miss a few and be a bit surprised and disappointed.

Last edited:
I miss the rear cross traffic alert that my Subaru Ascent has. It's a great feature in crowded parking lots, where some drivers feel like the aisles are their personal Formula 1 course.

Different strokes I guess, but I sold my Ascent after 6 months in no small part because the constant beeping, nagging, and whining associated with all those EyeSight “safety” features was enough to drive me mad. Full-on nanny state manifested as an automobile. Turning my head and just looking for myself was almost always less obnoxious than their particular implementation of “driver assistance” features.

I see a car in front of you. BEEP.
The car in front of you went away. BEEP.
You drifted 3.5% off center in your lane. BEEP.
A car 3,000 yards ahead of you applied the brakes. BEEP BEEP BEEP.
There is a woman in a wheelchair approaching from the left approximately 1500 feet away, don’t run her over when you’re backing up. BEEP BEEP.

Model 3 used to include a garage door opener, not sure about it now. Tesla was looking for ways to cut costs when Model Y came out and the garage opener was one they decided to cut. Now, the new owner will have to pay for the mobile connector which was included until recently. There is a good reason Tesla is now more profitable than other car manufactures including Toyota. Ever since the new CFO arrives, Tesla has been doing penny pinching.

Different strokes I guess, but I sold my Ascent after 6 months in no small part because the constant beeping, nagging, and whining associated with all those EyeSight “safety” features was enough to drive me mad. Full-on nanny state manifested as an automobile. Turning my head and just looking for myself was almost always less obnoxious than their particular implementation of “driver assistance” features.

I see a car in front of you. BEEP.
The car in front of you went away. BEEP.
You drifted 3.5% off center in your lane. BEEP.
A car 3,000 yards ahead of you applied the brakes. BEEP BEEP BEEP.
There is a woman in a wheelchair approaching from the left approximately 1500 feet away, don’t run her over when you’re backing up. BEEP BEEP.
There's a way to turn off those various beeps in the menus. The beeps don't bother me at all.

I miss the rear cross traffic alert as well. But at the suggestion of several good people here, I have begun practicing backing into parking spots where it is possible and rational. For one thing, you will back into supercharger slots. For another, it is very much safer than pulling in and then backing out into traffic, and is the norm in many places (again, what I did not know).

That said, some days backing up is more difficult than others.

20221127_180356.jpg