Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Cross Traffic Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why people ignore the main disclaimer: "You are still responsible for your car and must monitor it and its surroundings at all times and be within your line of sight because it may not detect all obstacles"
I do question that slightly based on location as all laws are different. If at the last minute a child ran out in front you didn't notice, or did but couldn't stop the car in time who is responsible, yes you the owner is because you were performing the smart summons, but the question is to what % it certainly isn't 100%, the reality is this is a feature that Tesla sells to the consumer to use and it has a cool factor (no driver in the car), the countries traffic safety authority, has surely had to give a approval for use.

Reactions: Quickst
I am in 100% agreement and also guilty as charged, I absolutely made an assumption that a Rear X Traffic alert, or something superior would be in its place, I wasn't just disappointed I was gutted to find this was not included in my Model Y.

I also was equally shocked there was no 360deg camera or again something superior, I had a Mazda CX8 Asaki (top spec) this is a noticeably larger car in every aspect, I had a hell of a lot more confidence navigating and parking that car in public car park than I do the Tesla. I knew exactly where I was according to the lines both forward and reverse parking and X traffic warned me so many times including people behind the car.

Not sure if I am missing something with the Tesla in regards to this, Also I know we have the cute display of traffic but blind spot detection I find was also noticeably better on the Mazda I say this because right or wrong there were times I would do a early check of lane traffic and then closer to the move just check read view mirror and blind spot sensor and move lanes I know that is not right but I certainly did when I needed to make a change quick. The Tesla some vehicles are there 1 second and gone then next and flickering in and out of view I have zero confidence as to what is on that screen.

Then the Nav maps yes there is a speeding alert, but why not notify of red light cameras, and speed cameras, I had this on the Mazda and pretty much every other friends or families car that I get in. so for me a massive wish list is

• Rear X-Traffic alert at least something
  • Blind spot detection, maybe a cool feature if the internal camera identified you were checking your blind spot it could alert bring up the side view on the screen with an alert if a car is either beside you or behind you with an indicator if safe to change lanes or not.
  • 360 again using the detection that you might be parking either front or rear parking using available cameras on screen give view preferred the white/red etc line guide to see where you are.
  • Traffic cameras either red light or speeding almost all cars had this as a feature now. No this doesn't mean that you drive irresponsible, where I use this is with the current state of society being on a downward spiral in regards empathy for their fellow citizens and the astronomical rise of narcissism, this impacts all areas of society including on the road, so those unwritten road rules like when coming to an intersection if you are turning Right (Australia) the cars coming towards you that are going straight used to even as little as 10 years ago, used to stop if the light went amber to allow the right turning vehicles to get through, now the just keep coming, The red light cameras aid in letting me know with current society GAF attitude is it ok if the light has gone red to continue or will I get a picture taken, its unfortunately the descision we have to make these days or possibly never turn right

Reactions: exxxviii
I am in 100% agreement and also guilty as charged, I absolutely made an assumption that a Rear X Traffic alert, or something superior would be in its place, I wasn't just disappointed I was gutted to find this was not included in my Model Y.

I also was equally shocked there was no 360deg camera or again something superior, I had a Mazda CX8 Asaki (top spec) this is a noticeably larger car in every aspect, I had a hell of a lot more confidence navigating and parking that car in public car park than I do the Tesla. I knew exactly where I was according to the lines both forward and reverse parking and X traffic warned me so many times including people behind the car.

Not sure if I am missing something with the Tesla in regards to this, Also I know we have the cute display of traffic but blind spot detection I find was also noticeably better on the Mazda I say this because right or wrong there were times I would do a early check of lane traffic and then closer to the move just check read view mirror and blind spot sensor and move lanes I know that is not right but I certainly did when I needed to make a change quick. The Tesla some vehicles are there 1 second and gone then next and flickering in and out of view I have zero confidence as to what is on that screen.

Then the Nav maps yes there is a speeding alert, but why not notify of red light cameras, and speed cameras, I had this on the Mazda and pretty much every other friends or families car that I get in. so for me a massive wish list is

• Rear X-Traffic alert at least something
  • Blind spot detection, maybe a cool feature if the internal camera identified you were checking your blind spot it could alert bring up the side view on the screen with an alert if a car is either beside you or behind you with an indicator if safe to change lanes or not.
  • 360 again using the detection that you might be parking either front or rear parking using available cameras on screen give view preferred the white/red etc line guide to see where you are.
  • Traffic cameras either red light or speeding almost all cars had this as a feature now. No this doesn't mean that you drive irresponsible, where I use this is with the current state of society being on a downward spiral in regards empathy for their fellow citizens and the astronomical rise of narcissism, this impacts all areas of society including on the road, so those unwritten road rules like when coming to an intersection if you are turning Right (Australia) the cars coming towards you that are going straight used to even as little as 10 years ago, used to stop if the light went amber to allow the right turning vehicles to get through, now the just keep coming, The red light cameras aid in letting me know with current society GAF attitude is it ok if the light has gone red to continue or will I get a picture taken, its unfortunately the descision we have to make these days or possibly never turn right
This was my same reaction when I got my Model Y home - I was stunned that it did not have surround view, rear cross traffic, and functionally inop blind spot. With a car brand so closely aligned with advanced imagery technology, I assumed it would have all that and more. So, it will be out the door shortly.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
This was my same reaction when I got my Model Y home - I was stunned that it did not have surround view, rear cross traffic, and functionally inop blind spot. With a car brand so closely aligned with advanced imagery technology, I assumed it would have all that and more. So, it will be out the door shortly.
You really only have yourself to blame. In this day and age, it's never been easier to research anything before your purchase.

You really only have yourself to blame. In this day and age, it's never been easier to research anything before your purchase.
True, but at the same time, there are certain questions that one might never think to ask. In a market where every premium car has blind spot, rear cross traffic, and surround view, it never occurred to me to research that in a Tesla. I knew about lack of Sirius XM. But the unavailability of cooled seats was also a surprise when I first saw it. It’s like researching to learn that a car has AM/FM radio - it is an assumed standard that nobody thinks about.

True, but at the same time, there are certain questions that one might never think to ask. In a market where every premium car has blind spot, rear cross traffic, and surround view, it never occurred to me to research that in a Tesla. I knew about lack of Sirius XM. But the unavailability of cooled seats was also a surprise when I first saw it. It’s like researching to learn that a car has AM/FM radio - it is an assumed standard that nobody thinks about.
I hate to break it to you, but Tesla doesn't have AM radio either.... :cool:

I agree wholeheartedly. My former Lexus and Toyota cars all has rear x alerts and it was a fantastic safety feature.

With our 3 and Y, there is a constant nag in the back of the mind as to whether I’m missing something. There have been instances where I checked both ways over a few times and as I’m reversing, a car came out of nowhere and or a biker etc.

In a parking lot it’s a pain to not have a safety system which can essentially prevent accidents better than human visual ability can. Ie. Cars coming from both sides while backing out or another vehicle angling out at an impossible angle while you’re reversing as well. Let’s not forget parking lot pedestrians who constantly walk behind a car with reverse lights on as if daring them to ‘hey buddy come on hit me and I’ll sue your ass and live a rich life’. Ridiculous.

This is one feature sadly Tesla missed the boat in on but could easily rectify.

Destiny1701: "This is one feature sadly Tesla missed the boat in on but could easily rectify."

I wonder with every SW update if they've figured it out, although frankly, I don't really miss it. My other cars have it.

I agree wholeheartedly. My former Lexus and Toyota cars all has rear x alerts and it was a fantastic safety feature.

With our 3 and Y, there is a constant nag in the back of the mind as to whether I’m missing something. There have been instances where I checked both ways over a few times and as I’m reversing, a car came out of nowhere and or a biker etc.

In a parking lot it’s a pain to not have a safety system which can essentially prevent accidents better than human visual ability can. Ie. Cars coming from both sides while backing out or another vehicle angling out at an impossible angle while you’re reversing as well. Let’s not forget parking lot pedestrians who constantly walk behind a car with reverse lights on as if daring them to ‘hey buddy come on hit me and I’ll sue your ass and live a rich life’. Ridiculous.

This is one feature sadly Tesla missed the boat in on but could easily rectify.
You all should be backing into the parking space anyway, so you can pull out going forward. Teslas are built around it (Supercharger spots) and it's just safer.

Reactions: gtae07
You all should be backing into the parking space anyway, so you can pull out going forward. Teslas are built around it (Supercharger spots) and it's just safer.
This statement is a non sequitur fallacy. Who said nobody was backing in? I back in every time unless circumstances prevent it. This has nothing to do with the few times I have to back up and wish I had an additional layer of safety protection.

Do you back into angled spaces in directional lanes? Do you back in when you will be loading or unloading the trunk? Do you back in when a space opens in front of you in a packed lot with a hungry driver behind you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701

Now, now, Mr. Bossy...but I sorta/kinda agree!

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
This statement is a non sequitur fallacy. Who said nobody was backing in? I back in every time unless circumstances prevent it. This has nothing to do with the few times I have to back up and wish I had an additional layer of safety protection.

Do you back into angled spaces in directional lanes? Do you back in when you will be loading or unloading the trunk? Do you back in when a space opens in front of you in a packed lot with a hungry driver behind you?
Yes

Who said nobody was backing in...
Nobody but you.

I agree that there are times when it can't be avoided, especially when there's the aggressive tool behind you that pulls in to your spot when they see your backup lights come on. That said, none of my other cars and trucks have rear cross traffic alerts, and only a scant few of those I have owned in the past have. So it's no big deal to me. Sorry you didn't read up on your newfangled car before you bought it.

Reactions: DanDi58
I just ran into this thread. Not to worry, I'm ok. I was alerted while backing in. Alerted that a lot of people bought a car without knowing what they bought. 🤪 To be fare, I was excited to discover all the tech features when I bought my 2022 MSLR. I did not even test drive one, I went in cold for the discovery of new things. There were no features I assumed it would have ... so no complaints here. It's the best car I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and DanDi58
Yep Ignore the other comments, I hear ya as someone, who researched just about every last detail about the Model Y Tesla including the HW4 rabbit hole, again only Elon with the secret squirrel crap about HW4, also the important things for someone new to EV's such as true range using the heat map charts showing kmph v's temps so luckily I knew hi-way driving is horrible in an EV, had I not done that check I would have believed the MY could actually go on a country drive for about 455kms, reality is in AUS at hi-way common speed of 110kms in 26deg heat I get a range of 257kms, which is god awful but I knew this, last 2 x ICE vehicles I owned were pretty high spec Mazda, CX8 and Honda CRV before that, hearing that Tesla's were the safest vehicles in the world yadda, yadda and out teched just about everyone, I still think this is somewhat true. I made and Ass out of U and Umption and I didn't bother to research that little deeper, because I banked on the above mentioned features, either being there or Mr Musk and his jolly Musketeer's had brainstormed something far superior was actually very wrong my first guess, not having anything even close was not something I was even willing to bring to the table so that is certainly on me. I did know it didn't have a HUD like my Mazda, but I tell you what if the next model had rear x traffic or something better, 360 or something better and blind spot incorporated with the camera views when you indicate that would make the car great.

• Funny
Reactions: Hellpops