Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control annoyance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I've found TACC really helpful and, for the most part accurate. I like the fact that it automatically slows me for roundabouts, for example, which the VW Golf never did (at least the one I drove). I'm getting used to where I can and can't use it around our streets and so avoid it where, for example, there are a load of cars parked half on the pavement which makes it freak out.

Anyway, discovered yesterday that it you quickly scroll up or down, you'll increment in 5mph blocks. Going from 40 to 30 is therefore just two single quick scrolls down. Give it a try. Certainly made things easier for me. Also don't have to look at the screen as I can divide by 5... most days.

The TACC seems quite poor. The first time I used it, Within half a mile it slammed the brakes on because of a car coming the other way in the other lane! Really disconcerting. And I’ve had a few goes with autopilot, it seems to steer almost constantly, feels like it’s moving around the lane quite a bit, like a really nervous driver. I don’t find it smooth at all. My other half’s Seat Ibiza has TACC and it is faultless. Quite disappointing given Tesla’s tech credentials.

So far I’ve played a bit with TACC and AP and have found them fine.

TACC is better than the simple cruise I had on my previous car (Audi), it seems to slow down and speed up well with traffic, no issues. Although I agree that automatically setting the speed to the speed limit is an annoyance, but I quickly got used to scrolling to my preferred speed.

AP I’m naturally wary of anyway, so I’ve only used it on very quiet stretches of motorway, it worked fine. But I doubt I’ll use it a lot, if at all.

Not had phantom braking occur yet, that did happen a few times in my Audi and it frightened the life out of me.

Not sure about the lane change element of both TACC and AP but I’ll want to be in control of that anyway.

Reality is that I didn’t buy my M3 for the self driving capabilities but for the zero emissions and fun factor. So I’m not overly bothered.

Reactions: Roy W.
I agree that phantom braking is a serious danger (and embarrassment if you have passengers..!) Somewhat depressingly (as it implies that these are features that they don't expect to be able to fix soon) many of these annoyances are included in disclaimers in the manual (my italics):

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc.

Warning: Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control slows down the vehicle, especially near highway exits where a curve is detected and/or you are actively navigating to a destination and not following the route.

Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over
50 mph (80 km/h), may not brake/ decelerate when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving vehicle or object is in front of you. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model 3 to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.​

Reactions: Roy W.
OK. I am probably being a total numpty here and I apologise if so.

If I have AP switched on the motorway (I don't have FSD) and come up behind a slower moving vehicle the cars slows to match the speed - fine. If I then indicate and move across a lane the action of moving the steering wheel turns off AP. Is that correct and do I just have to re-enable AP each time I change lanes?

If I have AP switched on the motorway (I don't have FSD) and come up behind a slower moving vehicle the cars slows to match the speed - fine. If I then indicate and move across a lane the action of moving the steering wheel turns off AP. Is that correct and do I just have to re-enable AP each time I change lanes?
Yes that's correct, I switched on joe mode to reduce the volume when it's switched on/off but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

You're quite right. There's no such thing as a numpty question here!

I found that the smoothest way to disengage AP is to latch the indicator - push it all the way to the second ident. Moving the wheel to disengage always left it feeling a bit jerky for me, so much so that even Mrs Roy W noticed!

So for me, if I'm using AP and want to overtake, the process is:

1. Signal fully - this disengages AP smoothly.
2. Change lanes.
3. Cancel signal by pushing stalk to first ident.
4. Re-engage AP

I've got Joe-Mode turned on too, but I did think it has made the Bing-Bongs less annoying.

There is somewhat of a workaround if you want TACC to engage at your "current speed" instead of the "speed limit" on the car's screen.

Go into the autopilot settings and adjust the speed warning feature to "Relative" and set it to -20MPH. Then disable the chime feature.

Now, when you engage TACC, it selects your current speed or the "speed limit" minus 20MPH, whichever is greater. If it has the wrong speed limit, it will subtract 20 from it and compare that to your current speed. In many cases, your current speed will be greater, so it will use your current speed.

The downside, is you need to turn off the speed warning chime because it will go off too much with the -20MPH offset.

There is somewhat of a workaround if you want TACC to engage at your "current speed" instead of the "speed limit" on the car's screen.

Go into the autopilot settings and adjust the speed warning feature to "Relative" and set it to -20MPH. Then disable the chime feature.

Now, when you engage TACC, it selects your current speed or the "speed limit" minus 20MPH, whichever is greater. If it has the wrong speed limit, it will subtract 20 from it and compare that to your current speed. In many cases, your current speed will be greater, so it will use your current speed.

The downside, is you need to turn off the speed warning chime because it will go off too much with the -20MPH offset.
Thanks, that's a good solution!

No. Signal, it will paint the new lane. Then just gently (and I mean gently) pressure the wheel where you want it to change lanes. It does the whole thing for you, no problem.

The only time I need to disable is on a moderate to fully busy motorway when it engages old granny mode.