Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control annoyance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

m3gt2

Sep 14, 2015
england
Hi, just 9 days into Model 3 ownership and loving it barring a few niggles. The worst of which is the cruise control. I can't seem to get it to set to my current speed, it always sets at what it thinks is the speed limit (which is very often wrong!), I know I can turn it down but it's a pain, particularly with all the average speed cameras around! Also is it possible to reengage it at the speed you used last time? This has been how all my previous cars have worked and it seems much more sensible to me. Thanks

Reactions: CMc1
I always thought that this point would be a bad place to turn on TACC - its only a 40 thankfully, but the curves following are not 40mph curves for some while, especially when wet. Plus you are often doing around 20 at this point as it gets a bit tight sometimes, so last thing you want is car accelerating 20-40. In some more rural areas, that might be a national.

Google Maps

I've found that if you keep your foot on the accelerator before and while you engage autopilot, it will stay at that speed, giving you time to flick the scroll wheel down a few times whilst simultaneously muttering " 'king thing " and/or tut - your preference.

It does seems a damn odd combination, to simultaneously rely on a database of road speed limits which was out-of-date as soon as the junior DBA in charge of it typed commit (even if it were accurate it still ignores roadworks/variable limits) and use that to set the initial speed of autopilot every time it's engaged.

I'm still playing with AP, but I reckon it's borderline unfit for purpose:

- Cruise control jumps to the speed limit rather than the speed you're doing. It's tiring constantly having to spin the right dial. There's too much variability on UK roads for this to be a sensible strategy.

- The whole phantom braking thing using TACC is borderline dangerous. For example, it applied pretty hard braking on me when I was moving back to the centre lane on the M40 with someone coming up behind me very fast. It scared the life out of me and had the guy behind beeping his horn, flashing his lights and making w@nker signs at me! I couldn't blame him.

- Autosteer does very odd things, again borderline dangerous. I've had it try to force me into an exit lane and I had to take pretty firm action to override it.

I can't even begin to imagine what extra chicanery comes with the £6k you pay for FSD! :)

Speed signs do not mean that a road is safe to drive at that speed. My example with google map is a case in point. Whilst the speed limit is 40, you are probably doing 20 at that point and it won't be safe to do 40 until several corners are cleared.

From my limited experience there it seems to me that in the US the speed limit is generally also the expected speed, with lots of changes for things like corners. Here we expect the driver to choose their speed responsibly according to all sorts of factors with the speed limit just being a cap. It seems to me that there's an assumption in building the Model 3 controls this way that the speed limit is the guideline speed at any point, or at least reasonably safe/achievable, and in the UK that assumption often doesn't hold true, while in the car's country of origin it generally does. I could see myself getting pretty annoyed with the M3 stalk on this, my S generally defaults to current speed but different stalk pushes do different things.

Roll on the day AP can take a corner with sensible line and speed. Maybe when this happens it'll engage according to that slightly more intelligent corner-aware speed.

I'm still playing with AP, but I reckon it's borderline unfit for purpose:

- Cruise control jumps to the speed limit rather than the speed you're doing. It's tiring constantly having to spin the right dial. There's too much variability on UK roads for this to be a sensible strategy.

- The whole phantom braking thing using TACC is borderline dangerous. For example, it applied pretty hard braking on me when I was moving back to the centre lane on the M40 with someone coming up behind me very fast. It scared the life out of me and had the guy behind beeping his horn, flashing his lights and making w@nker signs at me! I couldn't blame him.

- Autosteer does very odd things, again borderline dangerous. I've had it try to force me into an exit lane and I had to take pretty firm action to override it.

I can't even begin to imagine what extra chicanery comes with the £6k you pay for FSD! :)

Really is disappointingly poor adaptive cruise control and Lane control. I agree that the lane control is very dangerous. It brakes hard when moving out to overtake on motorways and dual carriageways and whenever the orientation of the car caused by bends senses a vehicle in the next lane! I have switched it off entirely and only use the cruise control.
However I would state that I have had both these functions on BMW, Mercedes and Volvo....all work perfectly and are much more user friendly to actively change or resume cruising speeds.
I am afraid it is Tesla's obsession with removing all switches and buttons which probably cause this. A small separate stick would have solved this. God only knows how poor the FSD will be when they get these basics wrong.

Reactions: Artiste
The last few months I’ve been told by certain people time and time again that Tesla’s have the most advanced tech in existence and no other manufacturer even comes close. Turns out, as I know from my own experience, that this is complete hogwash. Those same people seem to have gone remarkably quiet :p:p:p

Thankfully, I didn't buy into the Model 3 for the AP or self-driving features (which, aside from the outrageous price, is why I didn't spec FSD). However, it would nice if TACC worked better - as many have said it's something that pretty well every VAG car from Skoda to Audi completely nails, as do BMW, Merc etc. The phantom braking is a serious defect IMHO and if it's not very near the top of Tesla's "to-do" list then I'm concerned.

- Cruise control jumps to the speed limit rather than the speed you're doing.

- The whole phantom braking thing using TACC is borderline dangerous.

On the S/X you push the AP stalk downwards and it engages cruise control at your current speed, is that not how the 3 works?

Believe it or not phantom braking is loads better than 12 months ago......There were crazy people using AP for hand free driving on Mways with much worse software implementation over the last 12-18 months!

On the S/X you push the AP stalk downwards and it engages cruise control at your current speed, is that not how the 3 works?

Believe it or not phantom braking is loads better than 12 months ago......There were crazy people using AP for hand free driving on Mways with much worse software implementation over the last 12-18 months!
No if for example you are on the motorway doing 50 in roadworks, Tao down to activate TACC it will set at 70 and then you need to rich to turn it down to 50!