Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control not available. Almost daily.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had quite a bit of TACC and AP bugginess in recent weeks.

I have observed 2 distinct sets of symptoms. In both cases, TACC/AP is unavailable despite there being no camera or radar instructions and the traffic animations on the screen display normally.

I experienced Scenario 1 first, and only once. Since then I’ve experienced Scenario 2 three times...

Scenario 1:
  • TACC/AP is unavailable.
    • There’s no steering wheel icon or set speed displayed on the screen
    • “Cruise Control Unavailable” message is displayed when trying to engage TACC/AP
  • The Speed Limit sign is not displayed
  • Auto lights don’t work (light are always on even in bright conditions)
  • Doing a “power off” and then waiting ~10 seconds before hitting the brake pedal fixes it.
Scenario 2:
  • Similar to Scenario 1...
    • No TACC/AP. (No steering wheel icon or set speed. “Cruise Control Unavailable” message pops up.)
  • Different than Scenario 1...
    • Turns signals are laggy. (They don’t respond immediately to the stalk. There’s a 0.5-1 second lag.)
    • Speed Limit sign is displayed
    • Auto lights work normally.
    • When doing a “Power off” to fix the problem, the car/screen turns itself back on without pressing the brake pedal. This happens within ~3 seconds.
This has all happened on 2020.4.1.

These issues, aside from the headlights not turning off, could be caused by poor GPS reception? Which could also explain why the problems go away after a few minutes of sitting still.

For me....it doesn't return because i sit. I sat still on the side of the road for 15 min with tech support on the line. No good.

It wasn't until I booted

The problem happens on the same roads that I go down daily with autopilot on.
I have had quite a bit of TACC and AP bugginess in recent weeks.

I have observed 2 distinct sets of symptoms. In both cases, TACC/AP is unavailable despite there being no camera or radar instructions and the traffic animations on the screen display normally.

I experienced Scenario 1 first, and only once. Since then I’ve experienced Scenario 2 three times...

Scenario 1:
  • TACC/AP is unavailable.
    • There’s no steering wheel icon or set speed displayed on the screen
    • “Cruise Control Unavailable” message is displayed when trying to engage TACC/AP
  • The Speed Limit sign is not displayed
  • Auto lights don’t work (light are always on even in bright conditions)
  • Doing a “power off” and then waiting ~10 seconds before hitting the brake pedal fixes it.
Scenario 2:
  • Similar to Scenario 1...
    • No TACC/AP. (No steering wheel icon or set speed. “Cruise Control Unavailable” message pops up.)
  • Different than Scenario 1...
    • Turns signals are laggy. (They don’t respond immediately to the stalk. There’s a 0.5-1 second lag.)
    • Speed Limit sign is displayed
    • Auto lights work normally.
    • When doing a “Power off” to fix the problem, the car/screen turns itself back on without pressing the brake pedal. This happens within ~3 seconds.
This has all happened on 2020.4.1.

Remember: during a power off....you can't even move in the seat.

Remember: during a power off....you can't even move in the seat.

It's not like you have to remain perfectly 100% stationary. You just can't lift your butt off the seat and then sit back down.

I'm no newb when it comes to doing "Power Off"s to fix bugs. I've done it dozens of times -- mostly to fix the no-audio bug -- and I've never before had it turn back on automatically like it has the last few times with this cruise control bug.

Mine is also buggy after HW 3, installed a couple weeks ago on my fall 2018 LR AWD. Definitely a step backwards for me.

Issues that have happened more frequently on HW3 than HW2.5:
  1. Sometimes have to press the door handle in and out several times to get it to unlock. Went MONTHS on HW2.5 without that issue.
  2. Black screen on reverse for several seconds occasionally.
  3. As the OP stated, sometimes it won't let me engage TACC or AP with no apparent cause.
  4. It's VERY sensitive on lane changes now, refuses to change lanes way more often.
  5. Had a few unexplained breaking situations - again that I hadn't seen on HW2.5 for a long time.

I had nearly all of theses issues early on with my car, so I'm assuming Tesla will get this version of the HW/SW combination dialed in eventually, but it is pretty annoying to take a step backwards.

But I chose to get HW3 knowing there might be issues, so it's all good. I'll be patient.

Mine is also buggy after HW 3, installed a couple weeks ago on my fall 2018 LR AWD. Definitely a step backwards for me.

Issues that have happened more frequently on HW3 than HW2.5:
  1. Sometimes have to press the door handle in and out several times to get it to unlock. Went MONTHS on HW2.5 without that issue.
  2. Black screen on reverse for several seconds occasionally.
  3. As the OP stated, sometimes it won't let me engage TACC or AP with no apparent cause.
  4. It's VERY sensitive on lane changes now, refuses to change lanes way more often.
  5. Had a few unexplained breaking situations - again that I hadn't seen on HW2.5 for a long time.

I had nearly all of theses issues early on with my car, so I'm assuming Tesla will get this version of the HW/SW combination dialed in eventually, but it is pretty annoying to take a step backwards.

But I chose to get HW3 knowing there might be issues, so it's all good. I'll be patient.

I would trade it in for a used Camry.

Since my HW3 update I'm getting the message Cruise Control not available message. Almost daily.

I'm not sure what the problem is but almost every time I get in the car and try to engage autopilot or cruise control. The consistent remedy to this is to pull over to the side of the road - place the car in park - power it off from the menu and wait 3 min for it to re-power up.

Then it works.

I get no messages that anything is wrong. No error messages or anything. Customer support is baffled as well.

Anyone else getting this error when engaging autopilot or cruise control?
I got this problem today for the first time. M3 2019-09 with HW3.0 and firmware 2020.36.10, driven 11k km.

I drove with curise control for about 70km in dense traffic, sat waiting in the car for 2 hours in camp mode in the rain. Then when driving back, cruise control would not activate and the wiper did not wipe. Also got some variations in cabin temperature.
I tried a reset of the MCU while driving, but as expected this did not change anything.
Got a new update 2020.36.11 now, I hope that is the bugfix for this problem that I never experienced before.

My first thought was that it must be the camera, because both cruise control and the auto wiper is using this. But it is hopefully a firmware problem that will be fixed.

Last edited: