Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curb rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got some curb rash. Had it checked out, tyre is saved as it didn’t penetrate the inner walls and there’s no sign of fibres protruding out of the rubber.

I’ve seen many US threads of people sanding the rash and then painting over them, is there an equivalent product to use available for UK order?

5E5781A2-51E1-4B3D-8D21-17C94A91F98C.jpeg

Got some curb rash. Had it checked out, tyre is saved as it didn’t penetrate the inner walls and there’s no sign of fibres protruding out of the rubber.

I’ve seen many US threads of people sanding the rash and then painting over them, is there an equivalent product to use available for UK order?

View attachment 913870
I bought some of this for my Y - Xtremeauto Matt Black Wheel Touch... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BB6X131K?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s not perfect but you have to look hard to notice the rash, I’m looking upon it as a stopgap between an annual refurb…

I can’t who it was that makes them before for Tesla cats with wheel cap / covers they offered aftermarket ones with similar designs to Tesla. The main selling part was that the lip covers out over and past the wheel metal lip thus covering any existing rash. And since they’re just cap / covers if one gets rashes they sell them as singles or pack of 4. Prices as I recall wheel quite reasonable. Now if I could only remember where I saw them.

All 4 wheels on my Model Y are basically wrecked at this point. My wife has smashed them all multiple times, and I am guilty of rashing them on at least two ocassions. I've never owned a car with such unforgiving wheels, the wheel (20" inductions) basically sit proud of the tyre. Yes my wife could be more careful but these things are a joke.
Yes it’s almost like they are stretched I have same setup, the wheel sits inside the rims and leaves them really exposed.

All 4 wheels on my Model Y are basically wrecked at this point. My wife has smashed them all multiple times, and I am guilty of rashing them on at least two ocassions. I've never owned a car with such unforgiving wheels, the wheel (20" inductions) basically sit proud of the tyre. Yes my wife could be more careful but these things are a joke.

Modern times I'm afraid (most brands). The Model 3 is wide but the Y is nearly 3 inches wider still (ok 2.8 inches). Low profile tyres at full stretch with no sidewall to protect the rim are a recipe for disaster. You can understand it for a low sporting saloon because they're great for gripping the road surface and giving a greater level of precision to the handling ... but do people buying more of an SUV type vehicle want/need that? At least the bog standard wheels on the 3 are easy to touch up (yep, I've needed to do it too!).

I can’t who it was that makes them before for Tesla cats with wheel cap / covers they offered aftermarket ones with similar designs to Tesla. The main selling part was that the lip covers out over and past the wheel metal lip thus covering any existing rash. And since they’re just cap / covers if one gets rashes they sell them as singles or pack of 4. Prices as I recall wheel quite reasonable. Now if I could only remember where I saw them.
It is Rimetrix wheel cover. I have it but it does scratch the inside of the alloys - don’t know how bad it is as I am yet to remove that.

Rimetrix, black or silver, Made in the USA but they will export